Why old people shouldn't drive anymore.

Home of the traffic rant.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Why old people shouldn't drive anymore.

Post by TheBoss »

So yesterday morning after giving my brother a ride to work i had a close call. I was heading back on PV road in vernon, come to the intersection of 46th. Old guy decides to go when i'm right there, slammed on the brakes seen the oncoming lane was open and swerved towards it. Luckily he hit his brakes and we avoided an accident. It was so close though i thought for sure i was hitting him. Pulled over and inspected the car no damage. That intersection needs a four way stop, I have seen pedestrians almost get hit trying to cross at the crosswalk.

Another example is when i was backing out of a parking stall at butcher boys, Yeild to traffic coming through the lot, check my surroundings and proceed to back out. Old women with out even checking her mirrors or anything backs out when i'm about 70% out proceeds to back into my car. When i asked her if she heard me honk or checked her mirrors she told me nope. Luckily i was able to the minor damages fixed.

Okay last example, When flagging in Salmon arm, i send my traffic up the hill and look over to see my partner almost get hit as my last car went past me. Old guy completely oblivious to her in the middle of road almost hits her. Luckily she was able to hop out of the way and he realized what happened.

Once i reach that certain age I'll be giving up my drivers license. If you need to get around their are public transit, soon to be self driving cars and other means. No we're not taking away your freedom, we are ensuring the roads are safer. Also second close call i have avoided. Either i have really good luck or good driving skills :D
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Why old people shouldn't drive anymore.

Post by lightspeed »

If you see a cotton top driving really dangerously, call it in to the RCMP.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm not disagreeing that some older drivers should not be on the road but everything you mentioned I have seen younger drivers do as well.

Get back to us and let us know when you have stopped driving and at what age you feel that is appropriate. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

For the most part attitude plays a bigger role in crappy driving and that's at all ages.
Young jerks just grow to be old jerks.
I'd like to see more done to deal with medicated impairment which though mostly older folks are probably guilty of, it can be of all ages . Too many zombies behind the wheel.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Look, road-dorks come in all ages, genders, and... whatever...

We should all be re-tested at regular intervals and be forced to take additional training and re-testing when we show deficiencies.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

I'm one of those younger drivers. So far the only ding i have on my license is Failure to display N. The last thing i want is to be in an accident so i pay attention, i don't text and drive which is idiotic. If i wasn't paying attention and reacted i would of been in an accident.
Now as for an age when drivers should stop driving i think it should be 70's. Hell when i get to that age i'll stop driving.

Those old timers who are driving had it easy when they got their license, go in take the test and drive back home. Now we have to do the graduated license program, always have someone with us etc etc. It's stupid yet those old timers don't have to retake any sort of test.

What i would like to see is some sort of advanced driving school, i don't think anyone on this board knows how to brake and swerve, or how to control a car in a slide during winter driving. Those are the skills we should be teaching drivers. I want to find a nice big dirt lot and take my Thunderbird SC Drifting spin it out etc so i'm more comfortable with the car. Also the one thing i always do is find a nice long road with no traffic and see how the car brakes, swerves and accelerates. That way i know how the car will react if i have to stop in a hurry and etc. Skills people don't have or don't learn. I only have done the brake test in the car and with that knowledge i now know how the car will react and how much control i'll have.

The first time i had to do a brake and swerve was kinda my own fault :D. Just bought a town car did a little work on it got it running. They were doing construction on 20th st ex girlfriend was with me, was stoked the car was running forgot about the road closed sign :200:. Crap not going to stop in time so i see my opening, let off the brake swerved around the road closed sign back over to my lane with a little gas to balance the car out and went on my merry way me and the ex had a good laugh. That was stupid of me, was so excited to have the car running i almost forgot about the road hazard. Lesson learned and i was more attentive after that.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

TheBoss wrote:i don't think anyone on this board knows how to brake and swerve, or how to control a car in a slide during winter driving.

Ah the arrogance of youth. Methinks you highly underestimate people on here.

Good post, good input. But 70 is the new 50 and there are lots of older drivers around who are competent and need their mobility. Those less competent, yes absolutely they should be off the road. But on the GLP you need babysitting because at that young age you have pretty much zero experience and a tiny bit of newly gained skill to rely on.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Yes a little arrogant, when you see the poll where it was 30%(?) of drivers had no confidence driving in the winter time that scares me and wonder about peoples driving skills.
My whole point is back when my dad got his license he drove the farm truck to the dmv, did his test passed and drove home. Now we have the whole GLP program and you really can't enjoy the same freedoms my dad enjoyed in his youth. I understand why they did it. Now what they should do is have you come in and do a road test every time you renew you license, i would be down for that.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The arrogance of a youth who thinks he is a better driver than a 70 year old with 50+ years of experience and 1-2 million miles of driving.

Good luck with that.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I don't know how old your Dad is, but I'm 62 and back when I was a teen I had to have driving lessons (some paid, some from my Dad) before taking my driving test (which I failed first time, and had to re-take). Since then I've driven in several countries, many cities, rural areas, and even our far north in Winter, and haven't had as much as a parking ticket. Yet you seem to think you're a better driver than folks like me. Am I right?

Over the years I've seen LOTS of bad drivers, some young, some not so young. And I am in favour of re-testing drivers every 10 years. But I would re-test ALL drivers, not just the old ones.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Merry wrote:I don't know how old your Dad is, but I'm 62 and back when I was a teen I had to have driving lessons (some paid, some from my Dad) before taking my driving test (which I failed first time, and had to re-take). Since then I've driven in several countries, many cities, rural areas, and even our far north in Winter, and haven't had as much as a parking ticket. Yet you seem to think you're a better driver than folks like me. Am I right?

Over the years I've seen LOTS of bad drivers, some young, some not so young. And I am in favour of re-testing drivers every 10 years. But I would re-test ALL drivers, not just the old ones.

Well my dad also lived on a farm so he already had some driving experience under his belt, also that would of been roughly 76 when he took his license, all he told me is that he drove the farm truck, took the exam passed and drove home.

Doesn't matter how long you have driven or where you have driven etc if you're a terrible driver or not capable of driving anymore then you shouldn't drive. Yes my comment is a little arrogant about my driving skills, but when you see how people drive on a daily basis you just have to give your head a shake. As for my driving skills vs yours, i have no idea how you drive and vice versa. All i can say is that i don't want to be involved in an accident of any kind. So i drive with care and attention.

Once you reach a certain age you really should stop driving.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

TheBoss wrote:
Once you reach a certain age you really should stop driving.

First you provide the proof that an individual, once they reach what ever age it is you feel to take their licence away, is no longer capable of operating a motor vehicle in a safe manner. Do you have medical evidence that suggest every individual is some how no longer capable of driving a car safely once they reach their birthday? Facts please - not opinion :up:

And BTW, the intersection on PV and 46th doesn't need a 4 way - PV road is stop and go as is. Take the scenic route and come down 39th - you have your 4 way there :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

It simply isn't possible to "pick an age" when people shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore, because different people age at different rates. Some folks are perfectly capable of driving when they're 80, whereas others should have their license taken away when they're only 60.

If we want to keep our roads safe, ALL drivers should be periodically retested to ensure their driving skills are adequate and up to date. And any who fail the retest, should be subject to taking a refresher course and then allowed to take the test again.

I've seen plenty of young and middle aged drivers who would benefit from having to take a refresher course in good driving skills. It's not just older folk who sometimes need this; ALL drivers should be retested at some point.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Once i reach that certain age I'll be giving up my drivers license.

No you won't. I'll put money on it. Easy to say now when you're young but in reality you'll likely be like the rest of the old farts kicking & fighting,defending their "right" to have a drivers license even if totally incapable of remembering the rules. It's their independence and nobody wants that snatched away from them no matter they might NEED it taken away.

Not sure how old you are now but print this note and keep it for the next 40 yrs. My guess. You'll be one of "them" if you live long enough. It happens to the best of us! Getting old, that is. And none of us EVER wants to think we're imperfect. No matter what age. It's just the way it is.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The obvious solution is that, when seniors who need to quit driving fail to do so voluntarily, their family members "rat them out" to their family physician or some other appropriate authority. I know people who've done this, and it worked very well.

But even then, its' important that the senior be given the opportunity to take a new driving test, just to be sure it's not "over caution" on their relatives part.

However, the REAL problem is the lack of public transportation for seniors who don't live in larger centres such as Kelowna or Vernon. The small town I live in has very limited service, and getting to and from the closet bus stop often involves a VERY long walk up a VERY steep hill; which is impossible for some seniors, particularly in winter and when carrying a heavy bag of groceries. We don't have taxi service here anymore, so if you don't have relatives living nearby and you're a senior, you're pretty much screwed if you lose your license.

Given that our senior population is growing, we really do need to address this issue.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”