Who is the moron who didn't see this coming?

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Who is the moron who didn't see this coming?

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I think anyone on her posting blame to the gatekeeper, should. List their relevant employment experience.
That would go a long way towards seeing whether you have any actual experience in this matter, or are just playing the blame game..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

seems to me the gatekeeper is no better
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I think anyone on her posting blame to the gatekeeper, should. List their relevant employment experience.
That would go a long way towards seeing whether you have any actual experience in this matter, or are just playing the blame game..

as I said in an earlier post I don't think its any one persons fault the system itself failed all the signs and evidence were there I witnessed the snowpack from week to week, did you? I also witnessed a lake level that was way to high based on how high it was on my buddies dock (he knew this was going to happen based on that) you don't need a special degree to figure these things out you just need to open your eyes all the signs were there its not some freak weather incident.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Wasn't it stated by the gatekeeper that he was holding off of increasing outflow through the Okanagan river to ensure that the salmon fry were mature enough to handle being washed down to osoyoos lake? I think this may be the real reason the lake level remained so high, not a matter of unusual weather patterns or misinterpreting data. This was a matter of balancing priorities relating to the fisheries department and perceived risk or likelihood of property damage. Changes need to be made to ensure that avoiding flood damage will always be prioritized above fish habitat.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

LTD wrote:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I think anyone on her posting blame to the gatekeeper, should. List their relevant employment experience.

as I said in an earlier post I don't think its any one persons fault the system itself failed all the signs and evidence were there I witnessed the snowpack from week to week, did you? I also witnessed a lake level that was way to high based on how high it was on my buddies dock (he knew this was going to happen based on that) you don't need a special degree to figure these things out you just need to open your eyes all the signs were there its not some freak weather incident.

well common sense is a super power ltd that's why it's so uncommon :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Just started to wonder- the finger pointers submitted their CV yet?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

totoramona wrote:Wasn't it stated by the gatekeeper that he was holding off of increasing outflow through the Okanagan river to ensure that the salmon fry were mature enough to handle being washed down to osoyoos lake? I think this may be the real reason the lake level remained so high, not a matter of unusual weather patterns or misinterpreting data. This was a matter of balancing priorities relating to the fisheries department and perceived risk or likelihood of property damage. Changes need to be made to ensure that avoiding flood damage will always be prioritized above fish habitat.

I wouldn't sacrifice fish for peoples homes but I'm sure a happy medium could have been found by lowering the level before spawning time I like fishing
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

LTD wrote:
totoramona wrote:Wasn't it stated by the gatekeeper that he was holding off of increasing outflow through the Okanagan river to ensure that the salmon fry were mature enough to handle being washed down to osoyoos lake? I think this may be the real reason the lake level remained so high, not a matter of unusual weather patterns or misinterpreting data. This was a matter of balancing priorities relating to the fisheries department and perceived risk or likelihood of property damage. Changes need to be made to ensure that avoiding flood damage will always be prioritized above fish habitat.

I wouldn't sacrifice fish for peoples homes but I'm sure a happy medium could have been found by lowering the level before spawning time I like fishing

so good LTD, that some have proper priorities, wild habitat before human development.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
BCARSWELL

Post by BCARSWELL »

There was increased snow pack and rain this year but Mr. Reimer's decision to not let water out of Lake Okanagan maximally until later in April has likely caused increased damage to cities, homes, property owners and likely tourism.
The lake was high in March and Inflows to lake Okanagan from Mar to May was up 236% over normal. What bothers me is he states he would not do anything differently because he has the fish and the farms to consider. Furthermore he was predicting an Okanogan draught.. In other words his priorities was Fish over People.
I am flabbergasted by people who applaud his decision.
Lake Okanagan is 230 meters deep in some places and 76 meter deep on average. I think that is plenty of water for the fish even in a draught situation. So salmon fry get washed into the lake with increasing flows . It's a big lake and they will find protection. Increasing flow a month or two earlier will make no difference to the fish.

The lower the lake above full pool the less damage to cities and property. The higher the lake above full pool the more damage to property that will ensue and the less usable the lake will be for recreation. Every inch of lake elevation in these situations causes increased damage to lakeshore areas.

Presently the lake is contaminated with dock debris, trees from river washout, and overflowing septic fields. The lake will not be safe or usable for recreation for several months. Free standing water on properties means a plague if mosquitoes until early September.

The manager of the outflow rates from lake Okanagan should get his priorities straight People first, fish second.

If Mr. Reimer cannot admit that there would have been less damage if he had let the water out earlier and that in retrospect his decisions were wrong, I think they should hire someone else with the right priorities.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:so good LTD, that some have proper priorities, wild habitat before human development.

The human development is already in existence and should have been the first priority. BCARSWELL posted some valid points and now there are hundreds of people not able to make use of what they have and will be losing a lot and possibly their homes for quite some time.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You mean these people, who by their actions have basically said: "I'm-a-gunna build mah house in a flood plain (or beside a lake, or beside a stream), and then when nature does its thing every 20-50 years or so, I'mma whine like a spoilt litta gurl."
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I just have to ask, why are building permits approved in the floodplain? :135:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

kgcayenne wrote:You mean these people, who by their actions have basically said: "I'm-a-gunna build mah house in a flood plain (or beside a lake, or beside a stream), and then when nature does its thing every 20-50 years or so, I'mma whine like a spoilt litta gurl."
What a terrible thing to say to people who have worked so hard this last month up and down the lake. Every time I pass the areas where the sand and bags have been dumped I see so many hard working people loading up to maintain what they have. This scenario hasn't happened in the last 20 years nor the last 50 and no one I've talked to is whining but digging in and working hard. You want to make fun of what's going on and poke at people - your choice. Some of these people don't have the luxury of sitting back and whining - it's still an ongoing process to protect property. Guess you would say the same about forest fires too. What a shame.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

They are hard working; there's no doubt about that! However, when deveopment comes this close to nature, people simply cannot ignore the forces that nature can and DOES smack them with.

People want to lay blame on the operation of the dam, but they refuse to acknowledge the fact that developing land in these locations open residents to that risk. I looked at a beautiful home on Marshall a few years back. Why didn't I buy it? Too close to water. Why is it okay for people to develop all over the place to suit their wants and then expect the public to keep them safe? I can think of several examples of hard-heartedness displayed towards people who make choices that place them in difficult situations when things happen beyond their immediate control. This is no different.

One more thing, illegal docks and other illegal structures have washed away: GOOD RIDDANCE. Let's take the foreshore back and make it useable to the public like it always should have been. There need to be increases to the mandatory setbacks from bodies of water to protect the waterways and the people who think "it won't happen to them".
Last edited by kgcayenne on Jun 12th, 2017, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

ferri wrote:I just have to ask, why are building permits approved in the floodplain? :135:

They aren't, but most of the people effected in Kelowna are multimillionaires who don't give a rip what the city thinks, so they build stuff right down to the lake level.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Flooding 2017”