Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Barney Google »

Well...gots all the plants out of the greenhouse and in their respective allotted places.

Already enjoying the blueberries and strawberries won't be far behind. Lol.

Living up in the high country has some advantages...get fruits and veggies from producers

in town when they are ready and then more of natures goodness about three weeks later when our stuff up here is ready.

Lol...greenhouse makes all the difference...we've been eating ripe cherry tomatoes since March...lol.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Grambuppy

Post by Grambuppy »

Queen K wrote:You don't have the name of it, the tag is lost?

It's official, I'm getting rid of the pineberries. Ate a large one yesterday and it was tasteless and squishy. Total waste of space.

Does anyone want the June Bearing ones? One whole bed is next.

I do....it says it is a Big Purple rose by Pan Am Roses....
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have cucumbers almost ready to eat :biggrin:
I haven't failed until I quit.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Lady tehMa wrote:I have cucumbers almost ready to eat :biggrin:

Awesome. I planted cucumbers today.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The pineberries are now history. Five were repotted in pots but I'm giving them away. They are the plants "from hell" but if you want to try your luck, come and get them.

The soil was turned over and amended and the cucumber cage thingy we fashioned out of wire was inserted and I planted the cucumber plants. I watered them in using compost tea.

Who wants two zucchini plants? I have four in the ground now and don't need six. They are growing close together so snip one off and plant the other.

I'm trying them "in ground" this year. Seems to be okay so far.

I'm turning the main compost pile too. Ugly job but the compaction at the bottom is too much. I literally put too much in the bin this year.

Roses are spectacular this year. I now have Sapiglossis blooming, in a few days quite a few will be showing. Lots of new blooms now from different plants.

Headed out to do more now. Pineberry and Zukes up for grabs.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've been weeding. And weeding. As I can. It is on of those things I'd love to get the kids to do, but then you know they'll miss the obvious ones and take out something I mean to keep. I was chatting with a lady from down the street, she bought the place recently and the other lady went into care. The first lady is an amazing gardener, and her gardens were always a joy to see. The new lady hired someone to weed her garden - they took out her amazing deep red ruffled oriental poppy :200: She was NOT happy. Cautionary tale though - if you're going to hire someone, make sure they know what they're doing!!!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ah the anguish and heartbreak of losing a plant even when you do know what you're doing! Know it so well.
:cry:

And at least she isn't paving over the gardens with the new scourge, the new trend of just rocking it all in. I see it more and more. It's not irreversible, but it is such a loss to biodiversity.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Lady tehMa wrote:I have cucumbers almost ready to eat :biggrin:

We ate our first cuke last night. :up:

I have some really nice heritage tomato plants I don't need.

They are going to come on later as they were later seedlings but some plants are flowering.

You think the food bank would take them to pass them to families that might like to grow their own?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Queen K wrote:Ah the anguish and heartbreak of losing a plant even when you do know what you're doing! Know it so well.
:cry:

And at least she isn't paving over the gardens with the new scourge, the new trend of just rocking it all in. I see it more and more. It's not irreversible, but it is such a loss to biodiversity.

Think of the bees!!!!!!
- Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Barney Google wrote:
We ate our first cuke last night. :up:

I have some really nice heritage tomato plants I don't need.

They are going to come on later as they were later seedlings but some plants are flowering.

You think the food bank would take them to pass them to families that might like to grow their own?

That sounds like a great idea!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Headed back out there.....Got my own weeding out to do.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Pulling peas out today. My meager planting produced a few nice dinners with cooked and a few handfuls of fresh peas.

Question: I've never replanted peas in June, much less June 21. So, is it too late for a resowing of peas?

I have Alaska Peas along the back fence, they are tall with a few flowers, so I will be getting something there. I hope. But is it too late for a new planting?

Also: don't let today's rain fool you. I dug down in the raised beds and it's still very dry. You will need to water. :-X
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

For sure replant Queen...you might be pleasantly surprised.

I've had years where I've had two plantings work.

Give it the ol' college try... :130:
- Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Especially with this weather :135:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's the soil issue. I just can't seem to get it right.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”