Shutterbugs:DSLR vs. Point & Shoot

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Shutterbugs:DSLR vs. Point & Shoot

Post by fluffy »

Basic question: what are the pros and cons of each? Would they compliment each other if one were to own both?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Shutterbugs:DSLR vs. Point & Shoot

Post by kelownman »

OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

From someone who's had both for years, and was a semi-pro photographer (did well enough that I paid for all my gear...), the answers to your questions, depend entirely on what you want shoot and what you want to do with your photos.

If you only needs snaps for sharing on-line and maybe the odd print no larger than 8 X 10, then there are a whole range of P&S that will serve you well. If you want high quality images, perhaps requiring telescopic lens -- capable of winning contests or suitable for larger prints, then you need a DSLR. Bear in mind, DSLR's are bulky and heavy -- you'll need a backpack to carry it long distances, where the P&S will probably fit in a pocket.

So some personal 'soul searching' is required -- once you know what kind of images you really want, you'll know what you have to buy.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

If you have no clue about cameras, a point and shoot will capture all the memories you need to capture, and you can do any thing with those photos or videos.
If you want manual control over aperture, shutter speed, along with a collection of expensive lenses, and you don't know enough about it, I would sign myself up for photography courses and get something in your price range (likely over $1000) for anything decent.
A good photography course will teach you about your SLR camera features and perhaps post processing... making your photos look better by cropping, adjusting brightness, etc, in software.

Point and shoot
Pros
Easy to use
Less expensive

Cons
Average picture quality
Low quality zoom lenses

SLR
Pros
Best picture quality and best performance in more lighting conditions
Changeable lenses and better quality lenses
Faster focus
Manual and automatic control

Cons
Bigger/bulkier/heavier typically
Learning curve to grasp all camera features.
More expensive
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Point and shoot seem like a waste of money. The main pros are size and weight and a smart phone fills that role. You can find a Nikon D3300 package with lens in the $500 range and you won't regret it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I agree with the poster above, it all depends on what your looking for when it comes to photography itself.

Personally, for me, I want to learn everything I can about photography and keep the camera out of automatic mode - so for me, a DSLR is the way to go. I started out with a Nikon D3300 and kit lens, but have since moved on to a bit bigger and more feature packed Nikon D7100 and a few nice lenses.

DSLRs are as mentioned above, bulky and adding on to your system with various lenses can get very expensive - but there are ways to keep costs down. But the versatility, learning experience, image quality and overall photographic enjoyment (for me), there is no other type of camera I'd want to use.

P&S cameras can be good, but you are very limited with their function. What ever lens you have is what you get, you can get teleconverters for extra zoom and all but that can reduce the quality of your images. Image quality and features can also be very limited. They're great for quick snap shots and some other types of photography, but they defiantly have their limitations. I find most P&S people simply leave their cameras on auto mode, press the button and hope for the best and maybe try to salvage what they can in a photo editor.

Another option are mirrorless interchangeable cameras - they offer the versatility and image quality of DSLRs but are quite a bit smaller.

Personally, I'd recommend a nice DSLR system - but I'm very biased on that. The Mrs. wanted me to find her a camera a few months ago, so I was looking at various P&S systems and it was very frustrating for me because they just didn't work for me, but again - thats just me.

However, the best camera is the camera that you will take with you and use. If a DSLR is too much to carry for you, it just might end up sitting at home.

I'd recommend going to Lens and Shutter or even London Drugs and talk to them and play around with different types of cameras - find out what fits best in your hand and has features you are comfortable with using. Both stores have very knowledgeable staff.

Another great source for information is www.dpreview.com
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I've bought most if not all cameras from London drugs. They have knowledgable staff, plus fair deals on cameras and bodies. Although at the time I purchased my Olympus OM-D, I went to Kerrisdale cameras in Vancouver and traded in all my Canon DSLR stuff and picked up the Olympus (mirrorless)and $600 f1.4 fixed lenses for just a few hundred difference. They are awesome @ Kerrisdale.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I had a Pentax DSLR with several lens's and enjoyed it for a few years. But I got tired of carrying all that weight around so switched to a Canon SX50. The 50X zoom is great and it's much lighter to carry.
I also have a Nikon point and shoot that I carry in a belt pouch. The 2 compliment each other as I don't always have the Canon handy.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

There is a 3rd option that Bsuds pointed out. Known as a "bridge" camera. I have had one for over a decade and will most likely upgrade this summer. A few even have 4k video as a feature. The Nikon Coolpix B700 and the Panasonic FZ80 (FZ82) do just that. Massive zooms on these puppies as well.

http://www.techradar.com/news/photograp ... ra-1259503

I am leaning toward the FZ80 right now. Fits my needs. It was released just this year.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

One of the coolest things about DSLR's, is that your creational options are almost unlimited. Once you get through the learning curve with photoshop (or whichever photo editing SW you prefer...), you can produce some truly amazing images. (Wish I could show you some examples, but I'd blow my cover here...) :135: :200:

I'm a Canon guy -- I generally carry two of them -- the newest being the Canon 5D Mk IV (http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/products/ ... /pid/48301) -- an absolutely amazing camera. And about 30 lbs of various lens, tripods, umbrellas, Canon flashes and radio poppers.

The site that changed my photography forever was 'The Strobist'. He has free workshops or courses that you can do online at your own speed and you will be blown away with how it will improve your work. Photography is all about light. Camera's are boxes that collect and record light. So David Hobby -- the Stobist -- takes you right back to the basics.

The first course is here: http://strobist.blogspot.ca/2006/03/lighting-101.html, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Folks who use Hobby's techniques post their work here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/pool/.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I found the cheap point and shoot to be 100% useless.

Pay $500. Get clear pictures. And even $500 won't get you professional stuff.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Thanks to all, this is pretty much what I expected to hear. P&S = convenience and portability, DSLR = creative range. I used to be quite the shutterbug back in the film days but got away from it. I have a decent Nikon P&S but what sparked this question was a friend of mine upgrading his own kit and selling off some of his older equipment to finance the move. He's offering a Nikon D40 with an 18-55 mm variable lens for a smokin' price. The lens is compatible with newer Nikon bodies so if I have some fun with this one And feel a need for higher resolution (the D40 is no real powerhouse at 6.1 megapixels) it won't mean a huge expense by comparison. The D40 was marketed as an entry level DSLR about ten years ago, kind of the same class in its day as the D3300 today. Interestingly, the D3300 gets high marks in customer reviews today, and is often sold with the same 18-55 mm lens.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

I bought a D80 back in the day, I think it was released along side the D40, and I still use it to this day. There is a finite number of shutter releases before its expected to start to have problems. I'm pretty sure mine is way over that, but so far so good. Maybe double check that before you pull the trigger.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Nothing wrong with the D40 and the 6MP is good. It has a CCD sensor rather than CMOS. It will work great. The lens does most of the magic. If you're getting a smoking deal, I would go for it (so long as it works) :-)

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/25
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

The 18-55 is likely a kit lens. Nothing wrong with that, they usually are made with cheaper components and a wider aperture to keep the cost and the weight down.

The real investment in any system is with the lenses. Bodies wear out, but lenses can last for decades. If you have a single lens entry level kit, it's a lot easier to switch brands. Once you invest in some serious glass, it becomes harder to switch, so whatever brand you pick, make sure you like the features, how it feels in your hand, ease of use, etc. All modern DSLRs are good, and no matter what you pick, it will be your vision rather than the equipment that will make good images.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”