Sunken Boat Leaking

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Sunken Boat Leaking

Post by Treblehook »

Accountability? Will there be any accountability for the owner of this boat that sunk and is now expelling fuel and oil into the lake? In the marine environment, it has always been the responsibility of the owner/operator of a boat to ensure it is secure and not taking on water or for any other reason, in danger of sinking. Anyone who leaves a boat, such as occurred in this case, without checking on it to ensure it is secure, should be responsible for all costs associated with any damage or pollution that results from their neglect. This is a disgusting outcome that should not have occurred under any circumstance.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Sunken Boat Leaking

Post by Fancy »

Treblehook wrote:Accountability? Will there be any accountability for the owner of this boat that sunk and is now expelling fuel and oil into the lake? In the marine environment, it has always been the responsibility of the owner/operator of a boat to ensure it is secure and not taking on water or for any other reason, in danger of sinking. Anyone who leaves a boat, such as occurred in this case, without checking on it to ensure it is secure, should be responsible for all costs associated with any damage or pollution that results from their neglect. This is a disgusting outcome that should not have occurred under any circumstance.

What if it was sabotage?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Steppenwolf4
Fledgling

Post by Steppenwolf4 »

Situations like this is why boat insurance rates are so high.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

good call fancy. you seem to show anger at boaters. you still have that cordless drill ?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

not sure what you mean boat insurance not very expensive
Steppenwolf4
Fledgling

Post by Steppenwolf4 »

LTD wrote:not sure what you mean boat insurance not very expensive

Until you add the prop. option and the deductible.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

deductible only comes into play if something happens mines the same as my vehicle, property coverage liability everything all in I'm less than 400 bucks a year cheap cheap, even covers the trailer
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Kinda wondering why anyone likes a post when the situation hasn't been confirmed yet.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Fancy posts: "What if it was sabotage?" What? If it was sabotage, then the person who sunk the boat has committed a crime and they become the ones in need of being held accountable... No? What do you really think the odds are that it was sabotage? Not too likely.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Treblehook wrote:Accountability?

Sadly there is none at all. No legislation that says you are responsible for costs of cleanup or removal.
Steppenwolf4
Fledgling

Post by Steppenwolf4 »

LTD wrote:deductible only comes into play if something happens mines the same as my vehicle, property coverage liability everything all in I'm less than 400 bucks a year cheap cheap, even covers the trailer

That's for basic liability. Trailer insurance is under ICBC.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

sorry youre correct on the trailer but my boat insurance covers liability the boat boat motor leg anything and anyone in it fire theft if a tree falls on it if it sinks you name it. if it sinks tied to the dock such as this fellows boat I'm covered including clean up
Steppenwolf4
Fledgling

Post by Steppenwolf4 »

How much should I budget for insurance?

Typically if your powerboat is under $100K, you can expect to pay 1% of the insured value, so about $1,000 a year. A $500K boat drops to about .5% of its value.

https://www.boatingbc.ca/articles/boat- ... -to-insure
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Fancy wrote:
Treblehook wrote:Accountability? Will there be any accountability for the owner of this boat that sunk and is now expelling fuel and oil into the lake? In the marine environment, it has always been the responsibility of the owner/operator of a boat to ensure it is secure and not taking on water or for any other reason, in danger of sinking. Anyone who leaves a boat, such as occurred in this case, without checking on it to ensure it is secure, should be responsible for all costs associated with any damage or pollution that results from their neglect. This is a disgusting outcome that should not have occurred under any circumstance.

What if it was sabotage?

You mean, like the russians?

Or something perhaps more local, less threatening?

I think in any case, it would/should still be up to the owner to sort out, whether it be an ins claim or out of pocket...
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

The questions the owner of this boat should be required to answer would relate to what did he/she do to ensure the boat was secure and what was done to prevent this accident from happening? The owner is responsible and is accountable for what happened.. period.

Return to “Central Okanagan”