Area 27 Racetrack paving!

Daspoot
Übergod

Re: Area 27 Racetrack paving!

Post by Daspoot »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 17th, 2017, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Challenging a moderator.
On a different forum
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Was fishing up Sawmill Lake on the weekend and could hear the cars going around the track from the other side of the valley.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

madmudder wrote:Was fishing up Sawmill Lake on the weekend and could hear the cars going around the track from the other side of the valley.

what do you expect these are race cars running on a track :biggrin:
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

what do you expect these are race cars running on a track :biggrin:

Hilarious you are.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

madmudder wrote:Was fishing up Sawmill Lake on the weekend and could hear the cars going around the track from the other side of the valley.

That's quite the sound carry. You sure you weren't hearing dirt bikes tearing around closer to you?

There's not exactly a clear path from Area 27 to Sawmill, with several hills in between.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I believe that. Given that sound waves travel in a straight line from their source and are only impeded by physical objects, I can see the Oliver town site not hearing it at all because it is lower and directly buffered by the drop in elevation and SawMill Lake at a slightly higher elevation and the benefit of a few bounces off of surrounding terrain being able to hear it. It however must mean that homes up in the Fairview area of Oliver can hear it too.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

twobits wrote:

I believe that. Given that sound waves travel in a straight line from their source and are only impeded by physical objects, I can see the Oliver town site not hearing it at all because it is lower and directly buffered by the drop in elevation and SawMill Lake at a slightly higher elevation and the benefit of a few bounces off of surrounding terrain being able to hear it. It however must mean that homes up in the Fairview area of Oliver can hear it too.

You can't see Oliver from Sawmill due to the hills in the way, so no idea how the sound would travel through the physical objects (hills) between the two.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Tony wrote:You can't see Oliver from Sawmill due to the hills in the way, so no idea how the sound would travel through the physical objects (hills) between the two.

Did you miss this part Tony............" and SawMill Lake at a slightly higher elevation and the benefit of a few bounces off of surrounding terrain being able to hear it."

I live quite a long distance from the Penticton Speedway. But on certain days, be it wind direction, humidity, or lord knows what, I can hear the races. Line of sight is not required for us to hear things. If it were, every husband would be able to say he couldn't hear his wife when in another room in the house. Sound waves bounce quite effectively unfortunately.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

That's true, and I will recant. It's just that's a long distance. I've heard dirt bikes in that area long before Area 27 was a reality. Very easily could have been that instead.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Tony wrote:That's true, and I will recant. It's just that's a long distance. I've heard dirt bikes in that area long before Area 27 was a reality. Very easily could have been that instead.

With all due respect Tony, I think most of us, female gender even included, can tell the difference between a dirt bike and the tune that a quarter million dollar car engine puts out. The only pass I would give you on this one is if you were Amish.

GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Not just for millionaires, I am registering for a Public Track Day hosted by August Motors.

Time to get my 85 Camaro ready for a day of abuse!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the nymbys are going to kill off this track to ? tsk tsk :smt045
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

^^^ Not a chance :)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

maryjane48 wrote:the nymbys are going to kill off this track to ? tsk tsk :smt045

Already having been built and on Native lands, not a chance. Its staying put where it is and its good for the community.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I have raced on this track and it is amazing. Incredible fun!
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “South Okanagan”