For women only

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Jonrox

Re: For women only

Post by Jonrox »

Dizzy1 wrote:Women can have as many women only functions and get togethers and whatever's as they want - as long as the boys get theirs too without having to listening to a bombardment of social media pointing a finger at everyone with a willie.

Says the guy bombarding this message board pointing a finger at everyone without a willie. How hypocritical. He thinks it's ok for him to finger-point but doesn't want anyone treating him the same way.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Don't start making it personal please. Attack the message, not the person. Thanks!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

On side 1, we have a small group against woman only events either held in public places, or advertised publicly.

On side 2, we have people in support of the woman only event as described above.

I understand the reasons for the divide in opinion. And I respect that others don't share mine. I always expect that nobody will agree with me, so I take no offense to people disagreeing. :)

What I still don't understand is this reoccurring theme from the side 2 that continues to degenerate from a logical and respectful discussion on the topic to things such as:
A: Men are creepy freaks if they want to do the same things as woman.
B: Men against this event is a "Whiny *Bleep*"
C: This crazy notion that this topic is the biggest problem some of us are facing....
D: Men who disagree with the movie night are "whiners"
E: Men who disagree are "poor babies"
F: Men are hypocrites if they don't agree

I could go on. Don't think I need to.

Another thing I really don't understand is some of you, on side 2, inventing arguments, claiming side 1 is in support, then crushing it with your opinion. I keep seeing that strawman argument recurring in this thread. Jonrox, you are likely the most guilty of making things up and pretending to win points by defeating an argument not put forward in the first place.

This is just a topic of discussion for me. It seems the people getting angry and very creative/colorful in their arguments is those who think it's ok to discriminate against others based on their sex and there have been a host of justifications.

Anyone, who is interested in continuing the conversation, lets. But please stop with the presumptions. Lets have the discussion based on our words, not having our words twisted against us. It'll keep people from getting defensive. :)
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Discrimination is not all created equal. End of story. A movie night for women is not discrimination worth worrying or complaining about - it's completely harmless.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

youjustcomplain wrote:
This is just a topic of discussion for me. It seems the people getting angry and very creative/colorful in their arguments is those who think it's ok to discriminate against others based on their sex and there have been a host of justifications.

Me as well. I don't care if a theater in Texas (or even Canada) wants to do this. At the end of the day, it doesn't affect me at all. I can still have an opinion on if it's "right or wrong" though. which I've obviously shared. It seems that the only people actually getting worked up about it are the people defending it, as if the people opposed to it are going to start holding protests or writing their local MLA
Steppenwolf4
Fledgling

Post by Steppenwolf4 »

Jonrox wrote:Discrimination is not all created equal. End of story. A movie night for women is not discrimination worth worrying or complaining about - it's completely harmless. Anyone that does is a whiny crybaby.

Have you ever been the "significant other/husband" that stayed home waiting in bed, for your "other" to return home after one of those night-outs?
You are the closest thing to the devil's spawn, that she has just realized she has been living with. IF you are very lucky, she will get over-it by Wednesday. That leaves one day of reconciliation and cuddling.
By Friday, she will be ready to follow you to whatever venue you choose. (Be smart, and choose a romantic dinner with lady drinks.)
By Saturday morning, inform her that you are going to hang-out with the boys and maybe go to a tractor-pull/car race/fishing derby/golf.
By Saturday night when you return, and she has had the whole day to think about how she has been expecting too much from her choice of male companions.......This is a great time to consider your options and observe her reactions.
By Sunday morning, the both of you should be too tired to get outta bed before 11:30, and she should be cooking you a breakfast that is high in bacon content.
IF you do it really right, it will be served to you by her in Daisy Duke shorts.

It's not about discrimination, it's a matter of observations and predictions.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

fvkasm2x wrote:Me as well. I don't care if a theater in Texas (or even Canada) wants to do this. At the end of the day, it doesn't affect me at all. I can still have an opinion on if it's "right or wrong" though. which I've obviously shared. It seems that the only people actually getting worked up about it are the people defending it, as if the people opposed to it are going to start holding protests or writing their local MLA

You have to be kidding me with this. You actually said
Men are people. Women are people. Gays are people. Blacks are people. THAT IS HOW WE ALL NEED TO THINK. By creating groups or events ONLY for certain people, that is division, isolation or segregation.

You're against cultural societies, religion (and associated celebrations such as Christmas parties), organized sports, a lot of support groups, and even a lot of social gatherings.

It might blow your mind but a city I used to live in had a Folkfest (not folk music) where all of the cultural societies in town would host pavillions around the city celebrating their food, culture, sports, customs, and music. I think they're up to around 30 pavillions now: Greek, Scottish, Ukranian, Russian, Native, Chinese, Indian, etc... But by your reasoning each of these societies shouldn't be operating because they're segregating themselves and don't have members who don't have ties to those countries.

Your reasoning would also suggest the Special Olympics shouldn't exist and that all people should just compete for spots at the traditional Olympics... as handicapped athletes shouldn't segregate themselves from able-bodied competitors. And while we're at it, there shouldn't be a division between mens and womens events because "we're all people".

Churches also shouldn't exist because they promote segregation by having a specific set of beliefs that only certain people share. Christmas parties should also go by the wayside because they promote segregation of those who don't celebrate the holiday.

Support groups for women who have survived abuse also shouldn't exist because it segregates them.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

@youjustcomplain

The thread absolutely deteriorates from time to time where the posters on this thread resort to name calling. But to state that there has been no substance and it's the impasses which cause both sides to deteriorate. Funny how when perfectly logical assertions are presented they are often ignored and/or not responded to with an equally well thought out argument.

I don't see a bunch of women regularly storming men's events as it has been alleged. Please provide some links that are current and regionally appropriate. And please include situations especially where a bunch of women demand access to mens events that are more about socialization with friends, versus some kind of political gathering where policy is being debated and established that directly effects.

In the words of of one of my heroes (Judge Judy...don't judge):

"Don't *bleep* on my leg and tell me it's raining".
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Jonrox wrote:It might blow your mind but a city I used to live in had a Folkfest (not folk music) where all of the cultural societies in town would host pavillions around the city celebrating their food, culture, sports, customs, and music. I think they're up to around 30 pavillions now: Greek, Scottish, Ukranian, Russian, Native, Chinese, Indian, etc... But by your reasoning each of these societies shouldn't be operating because they're segregating themselves and don't have members who don't have ties to those countries.

Your reasoning would also suggest the Special Olympics shouldn't exist and that all people should just compete for spots at the traditional Olympics... as handicapped athletes shouldn't segregate themselves from able-bodied competitors. And while we're at it, there shouldn't be a division between mens and womens events because "we're all people".

Your simplistic approach with logic and ridiculous responses have earned you the 3rd ever spot on my 'blocked list." Almost nothing you say ever makes sense. Congrats. I can't tolerate to even read your replies anymore.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Actually, if any poster would be kind enough to post reasonably current links to stories of women who demand access to men's events - go for it. Hopefully it won't be some kooky sparingly populated fringe group, it'll be a nice meaningful mob of hairy pitted foaming at the mouth rabid feminists coming to indoctrinate your little girls.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Actually, if any poster would be kind enough to post reasonably current links to stories of women who demand access to men's events - go for it. Hopefully it won't be some kooky sparingly populated fringe group, it'll be a nice meaningful mob of hairy pitted foaming at the mouth rabid feminists coming to indoctrinate your little girls.

In the current state of the world, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any... because there aren't really many mens events where they bar women. I don't think they see the need and for the most part, they probably WANT women. Men are usually like that lol.

I suppose the ones that jump out to me immediately are either dated (like no women on certain famous golf courses), for good reason (men's only bath houses, where guys walk around naked) and ones that are logical (men's only barber shops). For those who can't figure out the barbershop one (and I am sure there are some)... it's because the barbers are trained in men's styles. They have no idea how to do cuts for women and simply can't offer the service expected.

Perhaps someone can offer a better example, but I don't know if there are many groups or businesses that refuse females.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:@youjustcomplain
I don't see a bunch of women regularly storming men's events as it has been alleged. Please provide some links that are current and regionally appropriate. And please include situations especially where a bunch of women demand access to mens events that are more about socialization with friends, versus some kind of political gathering where policy is being debated and established that directly effects.

It might be better if you maybe provide everyone with links, situations, events, businesses that are only for men where women are not welcome. Please take your time so you can include as many as possible. Then we can show all the readers that women "do not storm against them?
"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Jonrox wrote:Discrimination is not all created equal. End of story. A movie night for women is not discrimination worth worrying or complaining about - it's completely harmless.

A movie night for the wife means a pub night for me ....

I'm all for equality . She can have her movie , right after she takes the trash out for ME !!!
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

See, the point of this thread (at least the current track) was someone taking umbridge at women going to the women's only screening of Wonder Woman.

It has been stated several times on this thread that most women care less (including me) to go men's events.

My assertion was that this whole issue is/was a red herring used as a feeble attempt to point out the hypocrisy of women.

Exclusivity is almost never a problem for any feminist I know and admire when policy is established without consultation that effects them. And oftentimes, exclusivity isn't defined, it's an incidious pervasive old school network that allows for the promotion of men's agenda by subjugating women to roles in society with less power and prestige.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I love how guys here are tearing apart women who supposedly get all up in arms when there's a men's only event, oblivious to the the fact that it's exactly what they're currently doing regarding a women's only event.

They haven't even linked to a story or article describing when women have done this, yet this thread is itself an example of men whining about a women's only event. This is now one of my all-time favorite threads on the forums! Classic!

Return to “Social Concerns”