Canada's 150 anniversary

Are you in favour of millions of tax dollars being spent on canada's 150th anniversary???

Poll ended at Jul 2nd, 2017, 7:22 pm

yes
61%
no
36%
don't care
4%

Total votes: 28

westbankkid
Übergod

Canada's 150 anniversary

Post by westbankkid »

Canada is spending millions and millions of dollars on the 150 anniversary celebration. Do you consider it money well spent.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Canada's 150 anniversary

Post by maryjane48 »

yes. it only comes once in a universe . :130: i think he should hand out free pot to :smt045
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

The way that the cash flow is right now we are over full pool. I'd suggest having a celebration although it doesn't have to be stupid, well our Federal Government thinks there is no end.

The other thing I wish they would stop is coloring our Canadian flag, that is almost as bad as torching one. I don't like it one bit, I'm proud to be Canadian and our flag mean a lot to me as it is.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

we need a new flag with pot leaf :130:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

considering all of the stupid things that government spends our money on, this is one of the less stupider things. Now if a lot of the work to complete the celebrations was done by able-bodied people currently on welfare, who are being paid anyway and currently to do nothing, it'd be a real win-win.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

maryjane48 wrote:we need a new flag with pot leaf :130:

That has to be the most ignorant comment of the day.
KevinJP
Fledgling

Post by KevinJP »

Any thoughts on why U2, an Irish rock group, is performing at the celebrations in Ottawa on the 1st. Where's the Canadian talent??
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Not really U2 but Bono and The Edge doing one song for the "early" show. They have a concert that night with the rest of the band in Cleveland.
And there is a huge Irish story to the founding of Canada, part of my heritage as well.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

KevinJP wrote:Any thoughts on why U2, an Irish rock group, is performing at the celebrations in Ottawa on the 1st. Where's the Canadian talent??

"Bono and the Edge wanted to mark the occasion with Canadians and are donating their time as a birthday present for Canada 150," Huneault said, calling it a "great pleasure" for Canada to hosting the duo on Parliament Hill.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bono-ed ... -1.4182736
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I think Bono has a lot of admiration for Canada so he probably just wants to be here to be part of the big birthday bash. Good for him. I'm excited about it. I was a little kid for the Centennial but I remember Bobby Gimby, special coins, school pageants etc. It was awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18-oRTLIe3I
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

This 150th birthday of Canada is turning into a great commercial success. All the retailers and restaurants etc. are exploiting it for all it`s worth, using it as an advertising gimmick. While they pretend to promote Canada, they are actually in fact promoting themselves. . Also the Liberal government is exploiting it as well to promote themselves.It is disgusting to watch
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

What's starting to annoy me is the number of special interest groups that are seizing the opportunity to turn Canada's 150th into a protest against whatever. I choose to just ignore them so in that regard, they're failing.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:we need a new flag with pot leaf :130:

That has to be the most ignorant comment of the day.

That would be an astonishing accomplishment. :D

Perhaps a pot leaf would be a better symbol for Neveready's post-national dystopia than the Maple Leaf.

Some might say that Central Canada's tradition of draining the life-blood out of maples is a strangely great analogy for our national system of taxation and that, in that respect, the practice is indispensable to the national identity on par with other iconic rituals like losing blood to the mosquito or woodland tick.

However, it should be noted that whereas the leaf of the maple is of less significance outside of the southern portions of Quebec and Ontario, cannabis is produced in every province and territory and plays a substantial role in our national economy. And, (plus you also get) perhaps if we use enough of our new National Plant, Liberal policies and a significant number of Castanet regulars might start to appear less nonsensical.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

TORONTO — Either it’s a case of social justice warriors (SJW) gone mad or they’re just politically-correct party poopers.

But if the leftist radicals who now run the Ryerson Students Union (RSU) had their way, none of the students who come under their influence would be celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday Saturday.

According to a June 26 Facebook posting — which has received hundreds of mostly critical comments — the RSU suggests all full-time undergraduate and graduate Ryerson students not celebrate Canada 150 because it only represents “150 years of colonization” after our land “was stolen from indigenous people.”

The posting claims that all the hype around Canada Day this year is to make the day “seem like a holiday” as opposed to a “genocide” and the Canadian legacy of “colonization.”

Yes you read that right — a “genocide.”

Whoever wrote the social media post has a little trouble with history, however, claiming 2017 only marks 150 years since the “Canadian Federation Act” was signed. It was the British North America Act (BNA Act) — now known as the Constitution Act, 1867 — that created this wonderful dominion we call Canada.

Not so for Ryerson’s SJW party poopers.

“Please be critical of what you are celebrating,” they write. “Or please don’t celebrate at all.”

Their call to arms is accompanied by an upside down Canada 150 flag over the words “Colonialism 150” and an invitation to join the union-backed Unsettling Canada activities/protests, a national day of action to support indigenous self-determination over their lands, territories and resources.

Efforts to reach the entire RSU executive — in particular president Susanne Nyaga — Friday were unsuccessful.

However, in an April interview in Ryerson’s Eyeopener, Nyaga talked about several of her social justice roles, including co-chair of the Social Work Students’ Union, the president of United Black Students at Ryerson (UBSR) and core organizer of the Ryerson Feminist Collective (which she says addresses issues of misogyny from an intersectional framework).

That said, those SJWs sure know how to take the life out of a good party, not to mention a celebration of our Canadian rights and freedoms.

I have no issue with raising the plight of Aboriginal Peoples across Canada, but last I looked, it is not the role of the student-funded RSU to hijack the narrative of what is supposed to be a celebration.

Come to think of it, if the SJWs on the executive of the RSU want to give up their homes and their campus office space — all of which are occupying sacred indigenous land — I know a lawyer friend who’d be happy to negotiate the deal.

Marshall Darbyshire, the incoming president of Students for Free Speech (SSFS) at Ryerson, said he feels it’s an “attempt to derail” their national identity and “terribly unpatriotic.”

“They’re trying to prove how virtuous they are at the expense of the entire student body,” the second-year political science student said Friday. “It’s guilting the student body into not celebrating.”

Darbyshire said this kind of radicalism started about a month ago when the new executive came in, including two members he considers to be radical leftists.

He is adamant that a student union should be apolitical and advocate for every single student.

One of the many Unsettle Canada Day protests is set for a Spadina House celebration where St. Paul’s MP and Indigenous Minister Carolyn Bennett is scheduled to be present.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/201 ... 35065.html
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”