Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Post by Jlabute »

The Chevy Canada site says up to $14,000 in incentives.

I went to Build/Purchase a bolt, and it listed
$5,000 Government Incentive (calculated before tax) for the Bolt, $6,000 for a Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.

In Quebec you get $12,000

https://www.cevforbc.ca/clean-energy-vehicle-program
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

What I see needed in BC & across Western Provinces in many more SuperCharging stations. The ability to fully charge electric vehicle as quickly as possible. i.e Testa supercharger can fully charge in 75 minutes.

If you are traveling around each of the 4 Western Provinces, it would good to know that supercharging is available. Without it you will be there for while, no one want spend majority of there 2 week vacation charging the vehicle.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:What I see needed in BC & across Western Provinces in many more SuperCharging stations. The ability to fully charge electric vehicle as quickly as possible. i.e Testa supercharger can fully charge in 75 minutes.

If you are traveling around each of the 4 Western Provinces, it would good to know that supercharging is available. Without it you will be there for while, no one want spend majority of there 2 week vacation charging the vehicle.

You have a valid point, however don't forget that these days the lion's share of families have multiple vehicles, hence there is nothing preventing them from using their EV for manageable local trips, and a fossil fuel or hybrid for the longer excursions, where the availability of charging stations and type may vary.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:What I see needed in BC & across Western Provinces in many more SuperCharging stations. The ability to fully charge electric vehicle as quickly as possible. i.e Testa supercharger can fully charge in 75 minutes.

Old Techie wrote:You have a valid point, however don't forget that these days the lion's share of families have multiple vehicles, hence there is nothing preventing them from using their EV for manageable local trips, and a fossil fuel or hybrid for the longer excursions, where the availability of charging stations and type may vary.

True, since I have no need for more then 1 vehicle.
Big improvements will need to happen with electric vehicles before I would switch, 2 main ones for myself.
Distance before recharging
Time it takes to fully recharge

My current fossil fuel vehicle gets me to Brooks before I have to fill up, filling up takes only minutes.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jlabute wrote:The Chevy Canada site says up to $14,000 in incentives.

I went to Build/Purchase a bolt, and it listed
$5,000 Government Incentive (calculated before tax) for the Bolt, $6,000 for a Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.

In Quebec you get $12,000

https://www.cevforbc.ca/clean-energy-vehicle-program

You have to purchase in your care in January. You get the $5000 federally and the $6000 provincially (in BC), BUT they only give out like 500/year, so you have to be one of the first 500.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:

Old Techie wrote:You have a valid point, however don't forget that these days the lion's share of families have multiple vehicles, hence there is nothing preventing them from using their EV for manageable local trips, and a fossil fuel or hybrid for the longer excursions, where the availability of charging stations and type may vary.

True, since I have no need for more then 1 vehicle.
Big improvements will need to happen with electric vehicles before I would switch, 2 main ones for myself.
Distance before recharging
Time it takes to fully recharge

My current fossil fuel vehicle gets me to Brooks before I have to fill up, filling up takes only minutes.

A Hybrid may be more suitable in your case.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Tesla to Sell $35,000 model by 2017.

Post by Dizzy1 »

Queen K wrote:
Diz, how right you were back then. What do you think now with the Liberal promises?

Hmmmm - a bunch of charging stations funded by the taxpayer based on political games. If there is such a immediate demand for it, let the private corporations invest in it. Needless to say, it's more than a simple charging station hat needs to be built - the entire power infrastructure will need to be upgraded and funded - more tax dollars gone.

I drove home the other night from WalMart - 15 fuel stations in between - not one charging station. If one fuel station is closed - I just need to cross the street to another. Charging stations, even with these promises - will still be far in between to be convenient enough for the majority of the population to make the switch.

As I've said before, call me when an EV can get me 800kms and recharge in no more than 5 minutes then it'll spark my interest - until then - no use for me.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Dizzy1 wrote:If there is such a immediate demand for it, let the private corporations invest in it.

The BCUC needs to change regulations to allow non-utilities to meter and sell electricity. Until that happens, you won't be seeing private corporations setting up charging stations in the same manner as gas stations.

Dizzy1 wrote:I drove home the other night from WalMart - 15 fuel stations in between - not one charging station. If one fuel station is closed - I just need to cross the street to another. Charging stations, even with these promises - will still be far in between to be convenient enough for the majority of the population to make the switch.

You must have missed the five that are all within a few blocks of Walmart. I do agree, there's limited options in Kelowna. Down here, there's charge stations everywhere - even at work.

Dizzy1 wrote:As I've said before, call me when an EV can get me 800kms and recharge in no more than 5 minutes then it'll spark my interest - until then - no use for me.

You can't even get that out of a gas-fueled vehicle. That's two tanks worth of gas.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

36Drew, where's "down here"? And do the charge stations get their power from any solar source at all?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

36Drew wrote:You must have missed the five that are all within a few blocks of Walmart.

I do agree, there's limited options in Kelowna.

Did I say Kelowna? As I said, zero between Walmart and home.
36Drew wrote:You can't even get that out of a gas-fueled vehicle. That's two tanks worth of gas.

Huh? My current BMW and previous 2 VW's get an average of just over 700km if I drive appropriately. The last car I had that got around the 400km mark would have been my old Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8.

Going the diesel route - The Mrs' TDI gets a cool 1000km on a 55L tank of diesel easily.

Bring on the VW Polo Bluemotion and you can get 70mpg out of a gas powered engine. Thats 4.0L/100km - 45L tank = 1100km on gas.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:As I've said before, call me when an EV can get me 800kms and recharge in no more than 5 minutes then it'll spark my interest - until then - no use for me.

36Drew wrote:You can't even get that out of a gas-fueled vehicle. That's two tanks worth of gas.

Then 36Drew you need to get a more fuel efficient vehicle, my vehicle gets just over 5L/100 Km (for old school thats 54 miles per imperial gallon highway)
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Queen K wrote:36Drew, where's "down here"? And do the charge stations get their power from any solar source at all?

"Down here" is west of the Port-Mann bridge. No, the charge stations don't have solar panels on them. They're at many of the shopping centers, Tim Hortons, Starbucks, and such. Many employers (including my own) have chargers installed on-site for employee use.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Hold your horses....

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/200406 ... to-plug-in

Maybe that new 4 cyl internal combustion engine is still a better deal in the long run... Comon 16 bucks an hour to charge the car and still charge for the parking spot?

Looking at these charging specs....thats not a good deal at all vs Gas. Well RIP electric cars again like the GM EVO

https://www.tesla.com/charging
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Symbonite wrote:Hold your horses....

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/200406 ... to-plug-in

Maybe that new 4 cyl internal combustion engine is still a better deal in the long run... Comon 16 bucks an hour to charge the car and still charge for the parking spot?

Looking at these charging specs....thats not a good deal at all vs Gas. Well RIP electric cars again like the GM EVO

https://www.tesla.com/charging

But, but, but ... its supposed to be free :laugh:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”