Need an ethernet hub

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
pmaria
Fledgling

Need an ethernet hub

Post by pmaria »

I know this should probably be in a Wanted/For sale forum, but I need this to reach the people who would know what I'm talking about.

I need to beg, borrow, steal or buy an ethernet hub. Not a switch, just an plain old 4 or 5 port hub. I've been tasked with trying to troubleshoot a network device so I need to be able to capture packets from it while it communicates with the internet, but cant do that with a switch. Only a hub that broadcasts packets to all ports will work, or a configurable switch - and my switch / router is dumb. I know its possible to do a "man in the middle" capture on a switch but this isn't ideal for my application.

If you've got one collecting dust in your closet, and are willing to part with it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a fair price. It must work though, and have a power supply.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Need an ethernet hub

Post by TylerM4 »

Sorry, I trashed mine long ago.

FYI - a better quality switch will allow you to do this via software. "Port Mirroring" I believe it's called. Or If it's a PC you are troubleshooting you can install a utility like wireshark.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

Unfortunately its not a PC so I can't install software on it. I thought of a smart / managed switch and may just go down that route. I didn't realize that some were relatively inexpensive, < $50 so thats not too bad. Plus I tend to deal with a lot of these types of devices so it may beneficial in the future.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

pmaria wrote:I've been tasked with trying to troubleshoot a network device so I need to be able to capture packets from it while it communicates with the internet, but cant do that with a switch.

Sure you can. Port mirroring. Use a dedicated NIC plugged into the mirror port for your packet capturing.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

Only if the switch support port mirroring. I've got one on order now.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Why are you doing this?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

forum wrote:Why are you doing this?

Packetsniffing for fun and profit?
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

OpenWRT on a router sitting between the device and the Internet. It's fairly simple to find an OpenWRT capable router these days.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

forum wrote:Why are you doing this?

Its part of my job. I work with companies to implement data systems for asset control, POS and payment systems. I have one device here for scanning barcodes that the manufacturer is not being very helpful with, so I've taken it on myself to determine why its not working. After all that, now that I can examine the packets, it took me less than 10 minutes to figure out it was a communication configuration issue.
36Drew wrote:Packetsniffing for fun and profit?

Yes, I realize it does sound a little shady, but that's actually what it is for. It is fun, and I get paid to do it, so profit.
neilsimon wrote:OpenWRT on a router sitting between the device and the Internet. It's fairly simple to find an OpenWRT capable router these days.

Never thought of that, I've forgotten about OpenWRT, but used to use it on all my routers back in the day. Long live the WRT54G!
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

pmaria wrote:
36Drew wrote:Packetsniffing for fun and profit?

Yes, I realize it does sound a little shady, but that's actually what it is for. It is fun, and I get paid to do it, so profit.

I wasn't suggesting it sounds shady. I wasn't really asking a question, either. I know exactly what you're up to.

/me was working a bug-bounty on a CANBUS system for an unnamed electric car manufacturer some months back as a side project...
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

36Drew wrote:
I wasn't suggesting it sounds shady. I wasn't really asking a question, either. I know exactly what you're up to.

/me was working a bug-bounty on a CANBUS system for an unnamed electric car manufacturer some months back as a side project...

Perhaps the nefarious thought came from the original query by forum. Some random guy comes on and needs help sniffing packets, I'd be wondering why too.

CANBUS systems sound way more interesting than the POS stuff I do.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

Interesting, the board appears to censor the Point Of Sale acronym: P Oh S
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

pmaria wrote:Interesting, the board appears to censor the Point Of Sale acronym: P Oh S

Piece of shi. is more often used with that acronym :-)
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

pmaria wrote:Interesting, the board appears to censor the Point Of Sale acronym: P Oh S

If you're interested in giving it a go - join up with https://www.bugcrowd.com/bug-bounty-list/. There's all types of bounties on there.

To tie all this into context with a different thread...
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=73100#p2198433

That's what bug bounty programs are for. Plebs don't necessarily get it and think companies have been hacked.

The OpenWRT idea is a good one, btw. Princess Auto was selling some Cisco/Linksys Valet units for fairly cheap. They're Cisco m10 and can take an OpenWRT flash straight from the stock firmware upgrade screen. I think I even have a couple around that are unused - if you really really want one and just can't be motivated to acquire and flash it yourself, then PM me a shipping address and I'll ship you one of my unused units gratis.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”