Hate crimes against Muslims up: What may have helped in 2015

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Survey of Muslims in Canada: my link is on pg 4

Post by Glacier »

neilsimon wrote:In fairness, the Boxing Day Tsunami killed around 250,000 people. That's almost like 100 September 11th attacks. Yet people are in general far less concerned about these kinds of natural disaster than terrorism. They're about as random and far more deadly.

But randomness and the number of casualties are not the only factors. The more out of the ordinary something is the more "newsworthy." The news was non-stop for weeks about the tsunami. CBC interrupted regular programming. This was a huge event and was covered accordingly. Same with 9/11. It was non-stop coverage for days and weeks. As terrorist attacks become more and more common, they are becoming less and less of a thing on the news. If climate change means more tsunamis, earthquakes, and violent storms, they will occupy less time on the news coverage as they become more commonplace.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
f/22
Board Meister

Re: Hate crimes against Muslims up: What may have helped in

Post by f/22 »

neilsimon wrote:Anyway, it's an interesting survey and certainly not one which I think portrays Muslims in a harsh light.

Thanks, I think so as well, however there are sections that expose some of the warts if people care to take a look . . ..

Also, I found this interesting when it comes to my OP (concerning Harper and the niqab):

Women (my bolds). The experiences and opinions within the Muslim community are generally similar across genders, but a few differences are apparent. Women are much less likely than men to visit mosques for prayers, but also are more likely to identify primarily as a Muslim rather than as a Canadian, and to express a weaker sense of belonging to Canada. They are also more conscious of discrimination against Muslims in their local community, to have personally experienced mistreatment by non-Muslims due to their religion, and to feel that hostility from the broader society is systemic rather than isolated, (pg. 5)

<snip>

WEARING A HEAD COVERING. Head coverings worn by Muslim women have been a flash point in western countries including Canada. Some non-Muslims view this practice as an indication of religious subjugation of women, and others have been offended by the niqab because it covers the face except for the eyes.

Despite such controversy the practice of wearing head coverings is widespread and growing in Canada. More than half (53%) of Muslim women surveyed say they wear a hijab, chador or niqab in public, with this proportion up from 42 percent in 2006. Most wear the hijab (48%, up 10 points since 2006), with comparatively fewer wearing the chador (3%, unchanged) or niqab (3%, up 2).

This practice has grown across the population, but most noticeably among women 18 to 34 (my underlines) where it is now most prevalent (comprising 60% of this group). Head coverings in public continue to be most widely reported by women with no more than a high school education, but this practice has seen the most growth in the past decade among those with a college or university education (pg. 18).

http://www.environicsinstitute.org/uplo ... report.pdf

Perhaps Canadian schoolgirls and women in post-secondary have been taking some heat.
Last edited by f/22 on Jun 23rd, 2017, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

And while I'm at it.

On other topics being discussed here:

<snip>

Arguably the sharpest flash point for non-Muslims is the perceived threat of domestic terrorism emanating from extremist Islamic ideology (my bold). This is as much, if not more, of a concern to Muslims, who take the threat of radicalization to violence very seriously given the impact extremist Islamic movements can have on their community. Muslims believe that very few in their faith support violent extremists abroad, and hold this view even more strongly than 2006. The vast majority place great importance on their community cooperating with government agencies to address radicalization, and for the most part are comfortable with the powers currently granted to the country’s security agencies (although there is clear discomfort with the provisions in the 2015 legislation known as Bill C-51). (pg. 4).

<snip>

And

Extremism and Domestic Terrorism

Perceptions of domestic support for violent extremism

Very few Muslims believe there is much if any support within their community for violent extremist activities at home or abroad. At the same time, there is almost universal agreement on the importance of actively working with government agencies to address any potential threats.

Public concern about domestic terrorism stemming from the Muslim community stretches back to the September 11, 2001 attacks, and continues to this day. There have been no major terrorist events in Canada to date, but the two high profile shootings in Ottawa and Quebec in fall 2015 were carried out by individuals with apparent connections to Islamist extremism. Major incidents in western countries (most recently in Paris and Brussels) have kept terrorism on the front pages, along with the ongoing violent conflict in the Middle East and the recruitment of westerners (including some Canadians) to the struggle.

Very few Muslims believe more than a small handful of followers of their faith support violent extremists like Daesh, and this proportion has declined since 2006. Only one percent now believe that “many” or “most” Muslims in Canada support violent extremism, and the vast majority estimate that this sentiment is shared by “very few” or “none” in their community (with the “none” proportion jumping from 11% to 44% in the past decade). Opinions on this question are largely consistent across the Muslim population.

The non-Muslim population-at-large is more likely to believe there is domestic support for violent extremism abroad, although this perception has also declined over the past decade. Fewer than one in ten (7%) non-Muslim Canadians now believes that many or most Canadian Muslims support violent extremism, compared with more than six in ten (63%) who believe it is very few or none (up 10 points since 2006). The downward trend in perceptions of domestic support for violent extremism is evident across the country, and even among those groups most apt to believe such is widespread, including Quebecers (13% now say most or many), individuals with the least education and income (12%), those with a poor impression of Islam (13%), and those who have had no personal contact with Muslims (12%).

There have been anecdotal reports of local mosques serving as recruiting grounds for extremist groups overseas. Only three percent of Muslims surveyed say they have ever witnessed or heard anything about violent extremism being promoted in a mosque in Canada. An affirmative response increases modestly by age cohort, from one percent among Muslims 18 to 34, to eight percent among those 60 and over.

While most Muslims believe there is little if any domestic support within their community for violent extremist causes abroad, few are complacent about the seriousness of such activity. Almost nine in ten say it is very (79%) or somewhat (9%) important for Canadian Muslim communities to work actively with government agencies to address radicalization activities that may lead to violent extremism either in Canada or abroad. This sentiment is shared across the population. Strong importance is voiced most widely by Muslims in the top income bracket (88%) and those born in Canada (87%), but this view is shared by at least seven in ten from every group. (pg. 42 and 43)

<snip>

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^^ Yup, Islam is bad for Muslims. Islam is bad for non-Muslims. Islam is bad for everyone.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Glacier wrote:^^ Yup, Islam is bad for Muslims. Islam is bad for non-Muslims. Islam is bad for everyone.

Please pardon me, but with whom are you agreeing?
f/22
Board Meister

Re: Glacier says, “^^Yup, Islam is bad . . . for ev

Post by f/22 »

You see,

Truth does not, and never has, come unadorned. It must appear in its proper clothing or it is not acknowledged, which is a way of saying that the "truth" is a kind of cultural prejudice. Each culture conceives of it as being most authentically expressed in certain symbolic forms that another culture may regard as trivial or irrelevant. Indeed, to the Greeks of Aristotle's time, and for two thousand years afterward, scientific truth was best discovered and expressed by deducing the nature of things from a set of self-evident premises, which accounts for Aristotle's believing that women have fewer teeth than men, and that babies are healthier if conceived when the wind is in the north. Aristotle was twice married but so far as we know, it did not occur to him to ask either of his wives if he could count her teeth. And as for his obstetric opinions, we are safe in assuming he used no questionnaires and hid behind no curtains. Such acts would have seemed to him both vulgar and unnecessary, for that was not the way to ascertain the truth of things. The language of deductive logic provided a surer road.

(Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
https://orl.bibliocommons.com/item/show ... s_to_death pg. 18 and 19).
Last edited by f/22 on Jun 24th, 2017, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Removed
Last edited by f/22 on Jun 26th, 2017, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

removed.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

f/22 wrote:
Glacier wrote:^^ Yup, Islam is bad for Muslims. Islam is bad for non-Muslims. Islam is bad for everyone.

Please pardon me, but with whom are you agreeing?

I'm agreeing with those who say Muslims are also victims of Islam. In fact, Muslims are also victims of guilt-ridden bourgeois white liberal males, which is why the Muslim Maajid Nawz is suing the Southern Poverty Law Center.

- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

One could easily make the argument stick well that Muslims are the MAIN targets of other Muslims.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Bump.

f/22 wrote:Please pardon me, but with whom are you agreeing?

Glacier wrote:I'm agreeing with those who say Muslims are also victims of Islam. In fact, Muslims are also victims of guilt-ridden bourgeois white liberal males, which is why the Muslim Maajid Nawz is suing the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Well, besides the Survey of Muslims in Canada that I posted here earlier,

I think your video is very on topic.

And I hope others will take the time to watch it.

As well as to read the "Survey"too.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Glacier's, Maajid Nawaz Interview | Real Time with Bill Maher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlAw7qYLk5w

“Push back against all of this through a Civil Society Movement." :up:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

The original poster asked that this thread be taken out of Bickering and put back on the main board. I want it to stay on topic and no more Bickering. If you see something that breaks the rules (or I missed during clean up) report it. Thanks.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Thanks ferri and Triple 6, who was also in on the discussions over the last couple of days.

On we go, I hope.

So, Glacier, Queen K, and others, assuming you’ve seen the conclusion of Glacier’s video, above, what do you think of Maajid Nawaz’s Civil Society Movement?

I think it sounds like a new brand of SJW.

And I don't get it at all that he was saying,

I think he wants to try to encourage people towards actively making Islam and the rest of the world better for all.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K wrote:One could easily make the argument stick well that Muslims are the MAIN targets of other Muslims.

This is what I'm talking about, NO ONE has to point to right wing conservative rhetoric for fomenting disgust and hate crimes against Muslims when this sort of thing goes on:

Dress in woman's clothing and killing people in a refugee camp?

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/bom ... li=AAggv0m

Return to “World”