A plea to boaters...

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Graham Adder »

Poindexter wrote:Can't believe it's the first day of summer and my boat is still winterized. Have done a once over on the trailer replacing older parts and lights even though they were fine. Have done a once over on the boat replacing older parts even though the were fine. It's sad, basically I'm just coming up with creative ways to spend time with my boat because I miss her. When will this nightmare end?!
:cry:

It will end the day you grab a smaller, thinner boat and a paddle.
Then, you will find true happiness.
:smt045
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

no you wont
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

gman313 wrote:I am asking honestly so please don't rip me apart

I have a high speed electric RC boat that does about 60mph. It is only a metre long and weighs a few pounds. Yes it makes a wake, but more like a 1-2 cm chop maximum

think its ok to run?

Most of the floating crap is gone now off Poplar point which is where I usually take it.

I would absolutely not worry about your wake from an RC boat.
My canoe tosses more wake, and I feel no angst hitting the water with a paddle.
The ripples my canoe leave have no measurable effect on shore, and neither will your RC boat.

Seems to me there is a local RC club that tosses their toys in on one of the lakeside picnic stops such as Soorimpt (sp?) or Kickininee (sp?). Might pay to contact them regrading where to float your tiny boat without getting complaints from Q-Tips with their ears on and cranked (that's code for cranky old geezers with hearing aids).
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

LTD wrote:no you wont

Yes you will.
:fence:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

admittedly too lazy to go back over the 430+ posts but any consideration given those that make a living in the short summer season by renting boats or parasailing? Any compromise for those and their summer staff?
I'd like to think a wake in the middle of the lake softens somewhat by the time it gets to shallow shores.
( I'm a kayaker and sailor, power boats are for fishing on the coast... :biggrin: )
I am not wealthy but I am rich
EZGuy

Post by EZGuy »

June 26th, haven't seen a single boat from my window on Kal Lake in weeks. Went to Kekuli Bay yesterday and figured that launch should,be open to boaters. The ramp has a skiff of water on it, and that pier is floating so no risk there. They say it's closed for "public safety" but Anyone who who could hurt themselves in 3" of water over 2 ft distance on the ramp shouldn't leave the house let alone crawl over a gunnal!

Boaters in the Okanagan valley are the new social pariah. Oouuh displacement will bring the lake level up. RC boats only, canoes leave wake??? Yea right, maybe a 200 larger boats might raise a smaller lake like Wood a centimetre, way below what a light wind can do. Kinda like the hummingbird farting in the Amazon causes a hurricane in Cabo.

I suggest that most people who operate watercraft can definitely do so at a reduced speed far enough from shore so as not to damage docks shoreline etc. Or operate well away from foreshore development altogether. Maybe impose a temporary speed limit of 20 km/h for the summer. Maybe no tubing or wake boarding - though I don't like that idea. Fine the crap out of those who offend but those of us who own and enjoy boats or personal water craft are entitled to use them responsibly on local lakes. I'd support keeping launches which are damaged closed of course, but do the people in charge have a plan to fix them - I haven't heard of anything.

Okanagan = lakes = beaches = boating = fun = tourism = money. Better get the collective poop together because Alberta/Vancouver is migrating here as we chat, and we know they might just have a different attitude to those sawhorses fluttering pink flag tape blocking otherwise operational launches. Us Okanaganites can be an positive example of how to do it right - if we are only given a chance to.

Boaters make no wake says the flashing highway sign. Stigatamize the few who offend not the majority who won't.

Oh yikes - this one will get people thinking!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Speaking of being on the lake, the Kayak and SUP rental booth is open on Boyce-Gyro.

Might be a great time to rent a water toy and head out there since the lake is so quiet.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Graham Adder wrote:It will end the day you grab a smaller, thinner boat and a paddle.
Then, you will find true happiness.
:smt045

Agree with both you and Queen. Have been out quite a bit in the kayaks taking advantage of this once in a lifetime break from boat traffic. Prefer the mornings as can get windy out of no where in the late afternoon. Kinda like today actually. Lake is still cold and you'll get plenty wet if there's any chop.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A resident at the north end of Okanagan Lake says boaters in wake boats and speed boats have been creating waves and further damage along the still-flooded shoreline.

Cindy Brassard and her husband, Jerry, are living in a virtual ghost town on the Louis Estates where an evacuation order remains in place.

A total of 200 houses and cabins on Okanagan Indian Band land along the lake remain under that order.

“This is just ridiculous,” said Brassard on Tuesday. “They're coming down here in wake boats, going 100 miles an hour and ending up washing away our walls.”

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#201021

This still needs to be highlighted as obviously too many just aren't getting it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

she said herself they're not coming close to shore so they're not really doing anything wrong and for the record there's not many boats around here that will go 100 mph lol
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

No doubt an exaggeration but the damage is real and the wakes from higher speeds are real. Like I said, obviously some boaters just don't understand the repercussions of what they are doing.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Fancy wrote:No doubt an exaggeration but the damage is real and the wakes from higher speeds are real. Like I said, obviously some boaters just don't understand the repercussions of what they are doing.

Of course it was an exaggeration. On a lake of this size, close to shore or far out towards the middle makes no difference. Boats producing large displacement wakes - typical of wake boats - will see those wakes reach the shoreline. I personally feel communities did not collectively do an efficient enough job of putting out the word that the lake is still flooded. The constant news updates of the lake dropping and many park beaches being open for the long weekend I feel did the opposite, and gave most the impression the worst was over. Unfortunately as the old saying goes, "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" was on perfect display in this area.
outtawind
Fledgling

Post by outtawind »

Realize this thread is dead - but a response to this post is needed.

A home, no matter on a land-locked parcel, or on a waterfront lot - is harmful to the environment. Roads, sewer, electricity, gas, garbage... no difference. As a matter of fact, urban the rate of urban sprawl decimating the environment wildly outpaces lakefront development. You choose to claim a fish is more important than a ground-squirrel, deer, coyote or bird habitat only because you do not happen to live on the waterfront.

Do not hold those with means different than your own to a different measure than yourself. Your plight in life is not their doing and they do not hold their success over your head - it is only you who perceives it this way.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 17th, 2017, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Am I the only one to think this is an awful headline? Why get on lakes at all if water bombers are using it to gather up water for fire fighting? Just keep OFF the damned lake.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#202490
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Queen K wrote:Am I the only one to think this is an awful headline? Why get on lakes at all if water bombers are using it to gather up water for fire fighting? Just keep OFF the damned lake.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#202490

No no enjoy the lake . Really do go out and enjoy . The people have suffered enough . Constant state of emergency. It's getting ridiculous
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “Flooding 2017”