Fusion Food - do we sometimes go too far?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Fusion Food - do we sometimes go too far?

Post by Barney Google »

I enjoy all types of food...and I do enjoy some fusion food but sometimes I think that the fusion muddles the

flavors too much but I'm always game to try.

Sometimes though, I draw the line...some dishes just shouldn't be messed with...lol

Now I don't mind 'versions' of this dish but I think maybe, just maybe they might be pushing it this time...

CBC:
Boston is doing 'horrific' things to poutine, warns magazine writer

"...A Canadian expat has taken to the pages of Boston Magazine to decry what he sees as the city's "poutine problem"

"It seems like for some reason just as poutine is starting to catch on in Boston, instead of giving Bostonians a lot of really good quality traditional poutine ... restaurants have gone in a really disturbing direction and have given us some really odd versions of this dish that I love so much," Spencer Buell told As It Happens host Carol Off.

"The word has come to mean just a pile of stuff with other stuff on it."..."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as- ... -1.4175106
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Loki2u
Board Meister

Re: Fusion Food - do we sometimes go too far?

Post by Loki2u »

Being a foodie is on trend right now which has its pro's and con's.

Pro's being we're seeing food dishes and creations that are completely out of this world and the restaurant industry is thriving.

Con's being the pretentious nature of many restaurants trying to fool its customers into believing their food is actually good. Also with social media, it seems everybody is a food critic and needs to have an opinion. (such as this post I suppose)

As a former trained red seal chef, I prefer good quality ingredients done in a simple manner where the ingredients speak for themselves. I don't need fancy gimmicks or smoke and mirrors, but I do enjoy seeing and eating others creativity whatever that may be.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We road trip a lot and therefore seek out mom and pop type restaurants.
I've noticed brie on a lot of sandwiches lately. Delicious.

The Green Leaf in Osoyoos makes two brie based sandwiches, one of which has a thin spread of fig jam. The other one has thin sliced green apple and bacon.

My mouth is watering now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Fusion marketing has gone so far as to enter pet food industry. Marketers know how to hook... line & sink people into buying whatever they want you to buy.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Fusion marketing has gone so far as to enter pet food industry. Marketers know how to hook... line & sink people into buying whatever they want you to buy.

Won't work on us. We are plain eaters and the fancy shmancy stuff jut won't cut it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Absolutely!

Personally, I think it depends on the dish. Poutine in particular is so good, because it's so simple. If a Husky truck stop makes a dish better than your fancy-ass bistro, you're doing it wrong. At Stampede I once had a "French" poutine (which is entirely un-French per my Montreal born room mate) that was a classic poutine with a drizzle of maple syrup. It was incredible! Just added a little sweetness without diverting from the basics.

I've had some incredibly tasty fusion dishes too. A place that sadly no longer exists in Nelson used to so a sushi burger. Free range organic no-GMO beef patty on top of a tempura rice "bun" topped with a lot of your classic sushi ingredients...avocado, crab, unagi sauce. It just worked so well.

I guess to me "fusion" is more about combining entire ethnic cuisines, and not bastardising a single very specific dish.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Bsuds wrote:
Won't work on us. We are plain eaters and the fancy shmancy stuff jut won't cut it.

I hear ya Bsuds...while I do like many innovative 'creations'...

its the simple, tried and true, dishes I more than often gravitate to. :up:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I'm not red seal but have spent enough hours in commercial kitchens.

My only take on this subject is balance of flavour. Too much mayo disrupts e.g.
Not enough salt disrupts, too much sauce disrupts.

Like mayo on sushi (california rolls) not sushi but put in context with my whole post.

Balance. Equilibrium.

If I go to an ethnic restaurant, I want traditional and real, not watered down for pantie waist north Americans so they patronize the establishment.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

What_the wrote:....

If I go to an ethnic restaurant, I want traditional and real, not watered down for pantie waist north Americans so they patronize the establishment.

Right the flip on, What!

You are talkin' my speak!!
- Unknown

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”