Shutterbugs:DSLR vs. Point & Shoot

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Shutterbugs:DSLR vs. Point & Shoot

Post by fluffy »

pmaria wrote:There is a finite number of shutter releases before its expected to start to have problems.

I know the seller, he's an honest guy. He says he had the unit professionally serviced five years ago, I'll certainly inquire as to whether it would be worth it to repeat that. First, some serious playtime.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

This may help finding out what the shutter count is and how close it is to needing replacing ...

http://www.nikonshuttercount.com

I've really learnt to appreciate used lenses - you can get some really quality glass for decent prices if you check out the used section at places like Lens and Shutter, McBain's, Kerrisdale, Henry's, etc.

Also, being a nostalgic buff, I picked up some nice Nikor E mounts from the late 70s to early 80s for a steal.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

I was formally schooled using a Pentax Spotmatic II and Beseler based darkroom, and after that I wrestled with the po-mo for close to forty years.

Today, in DSL(R), I’m down to pinhole photography with a Nikon D3100 using a few ‘tinfoil and needle, modified’ body caps.

Pro—light camera.

Con—needs tripod.

For point-and-shoot, I point and try to get someone else to shoot.

Pro—“That would make a nice shot.”

Con—“Oops, too late.”

Photography's always been a blast though.

Still using my Pentax K1000 system and this kind of stuff when I get nostalgic.

:biggrin:

Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Pinhole photography? Your nickname f/22 is making sense now :-)
I think that's great. My son took a photography course and they had to build a pinhole camera as a project. It was fun watching him have fun with it.

I still have an old Nikon F-401 which I have been using for B&W portraits. There is something about B&W film that digital just doesn't do well. Sad to see film slowly disappear.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

f/22 wrote:I was formally schooled using a Pentax Spotmatic II and Beseler based darkroom, and after that I wrestled with the po-mo for close to forty years.

Lots of great memories in your post -- I also now get your handle -- f/22. That Simon & Grfnkle song is on my phone music list.

I took some photo processing lessons back in the 70's but it wasn't a part of the hobby that stuck. I can still remember our instructor using the terrible old line on his female students. With a lecherous grin. rubbing his hands together; "Come on into my dark room and we'll see what develops..."

And Jlabute, couldn't agree more about B&W film photography. Over the years have shot many rolls of Tri-X 400. With digital, could never get the 'noise' to look anywhere near as nice as the textured grain of a low light Tri-X exposure.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

I’ve had such a long and varied career in wage-based and freelance photography, including video and cinematography, that I really don’t know where to start with reminiscing . . ..

But now I’ve scaled way back to even using a selenium light meter and grey card on occasion—I regret the things like the waste of batteries and the environmental ‘challenges’ attached to creating chemical based images.

And Jlabute, I admire your son. I’ve always loved pinhole cameras. At one time a friend and I were thinking of building one out of a van and using wide strips of print paper to record the image. The technical jungle prevented it, but imagine the depth of field and the resolution . . ..

Oh, and OldIslander, one of my classroom instructors used to comment on the S-curve of a woman's back being the most beautiful 'line' in all of composition . . .. Heh, heh, heh.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

What would you have done with the last roll of Kodachrome? lol
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Unless Steve McCurry shows up here, we were all beaten to shooting it.

Last edited by f/22 on Jul 1st, 2017, 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yes, but, if YOU had the last roll, what would YOU have done with it? :-)
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Thanks,

Now that I've taken a minute, I think, as Kodak intended for its customers, I would’ve chosen ordinary subjects and representative occasions that were saturated with colour and didn't require flash or artificial light.

How 'bout you?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

KInd of like a Steve McCurry portfolio? I like natural lighting and color saturated subjects as well. I think portraits appeal to me. Perhaps, I would do a cultural cross section of Canada.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Like . . . . Happy Canada Day! :biggrin:

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”