Best replacement Android tablet

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Best replacement Android tablet

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Looking for some recommendations.

The other post about Apple tablets reminded me that I am looking to replace my ASUS TF700T.
It still runs decently but there have not been any system updates since 4.2.1, and that sure didn't work well.
Looking at reviews online it is not just me that has problems with laggy performance.

What I do like is the removable keyboard which houses a 2nd battery. Can normally get 8 or more hours.
USB and SD slot and expandable memory by microSD is really nice also.

I just missed a review on Global the other day, and can't seem to find it online, that talks about the new Samsung tablet that just came out.

Which Android tablet would you go with 10" or larger....
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Best replacement Android tablet

Post by Jlabute »

You could inch your way up to the TF701 or maybe spend more on a Google Pixel C, which would ensure you always have the latest version of Android. There is a matching keyboard but sold separately. Tough choice and there is a lot to choose from.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

I bought the 'Pixel C' (that Jlabute mentions above...) about 1.5 years ago, and really like it. I already had an android phone, and so wanted a compatible tablet.

Here's a review: https://www.Castanet.com/products/google-pixel-c/

I didn't buy the keyboard -- just the tablet. It is really fast, the battery is good for about 10 hrs of steady use, and it has an amazing screen -- 10" (2560 x 1800) which is outstanding for looking at pics, browsing, etc. There have been several Android OS upgrades since buying it and they have installed quickly and seamlessly.

Highly recommended. :up:
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Where are these Pixel C units available?

I don't see them listed at any of the usual places and not at the Google store either when I looked.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I found them on Amazon.ca and Google. Not worth the price imo.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:I found them on Amazon.ca and Google no problem.

What I saw on Amazon said they were UK models and not covered by warranty here. When I went to the Canada Google site it shows as unavailable on the Pixel C specifications page.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Old Techie wrote: What I saw on Amazon said they were UK models and not covered by warranty here. When I went to the Canada Google site it shows as unavailable on the Pixel C specifications page.

Same here - I am curious about them but not willing to buy sight unseen even with decent reviews.

Oldslander - where did you get yours from??

Thanks NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

I bought mine thru the online Canadian Google store. I see that they are presently out of stock in Canada, although they seem to be selling them in a number of other countries. I don't believe they sell them in any 'bricks and mortar' stores. I was lucky -- they were offering them at 25% off for a short period of time. They give you a period of time to return it, no questions asked. I'd keep watching -- they'll probably be available soon.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Seeing the Google Pixel is a tough find, maybe one of these would be good

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-co ... ld-1118205

Personally, I picked up an iPad mini quite inexpensively. Works well. My main work is done on windows machines. I had a first generation google nexus long time back but it couldn't keep up after it had an OS update.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Jlabute wrote:Seeing the Google Pixel is a tough find, maybe one of these would be good

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-co ... ld-1118205

Personally, I picked up an iPad mini quite inexpensively. Works well. My main work is done on windows machines. I had a first generation google nexus long time back but it couldn't keep up after it had an OS update.

Thanks Jlabute - A great read with good info.
Intend on checking some of them out in Vernon this week.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

"Best" is a tough term. Application matters. I don't use the camera functions, so that opens options.

I use a Samsung for primary use, very happy with it.

For rough use, liking camping or the occasional camera use in the workshop (recording how something came apart, quick "how to" internet searches on the spot) I picked up a dirt cheap Hip Street. Speed wise, similar to the Samsung, completely function, but cheap and plasticky, acceptable (but poor color match) display with a plastic screen surface (never as good as the glass).

My old Asus is now the streaming device for an older "dumb" TV.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Instead of a tablet, please consider having a look at the Samsung Pro Chromebook.

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ Do you get a commission for peddling Chromebooks? :biggrin:

I mean seriously, every chance you get, you're flogging those things like they're the be all end all of modern gadgetry.

No one gets that excited over something unless there's an ulterior motive.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

forum wrote:Instead of a tablet, please consider having a look at the Samsung Pro Chromebook.

Hi Forum:
I will consider it - with everything else going on with the fires and real life getting in the way, it has not been a top priority.
But - I appreciate all the comments and suggestions made in response to my OP.
Thank you to all - NNA
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I'm fortunate enough to have access to all the technologies and get to work with just about everything.

My opinion is just based on my observations and experience.

Most people spend much of their time in a web browser or apps, with the odd need to print. Chromebooks are tough to beat.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”