Volunteering

seewood
Guru

Volunteering

Post by seewood »

I see the organizers of Grandfondo are looking for volunteers.

Just wondering with all the events this summer in Penticton , is there an unreasonable expectation for the citizens to continually volunteer ? Rib-Fest, Grandfondo, Peach classic Triathlon, Challenge Triathlon, ITU 4-5 days of competition, .....
In the past the volunteers have made these events possible but going forward are there too many events needing volunteers to make them happen?

I have volunteered in the past and competed and it has been a terrific experience. But in my opinion Penticton hosts these events hoping volunteers will step up and just perhaps a saturation point is starting.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
spooker

Re: Volunteering

Post by spooker »

Just like the "saturation point" for generating donations for all the causes these days ... as individuals we've learned that we can't spread ourselves too thin or there's nothing left ...

And the other side of the issue, who wants to volunteer for something they don't have an interest in? but if you are interested in it you'd probably be more inclined to register for it ... damned if you do and all that

If we try to budget paying people for it then we have to charge more ... but we can't have nice swag if we have to spend money staffing it up ...

Thought about volunteering myself but already committed to volunteering for 2 events this month while participating in another ...

How can we get a viral meme out there that engages new people to try volunteering at least once? (Try it, you might like it)
BikerDude

Post by BikerDude »

Losing the Ironman has left a bad taste in the mouths of many people that I know. They felt like they had invested so much of their time and energy, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by council.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

BikerDude wrote:Losing the Ironman has left a bad taste in the mouths of many people that I know. They felt like they had invested so much of their time and energy, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by council.

It is my understanding that Ironman was a privately owned race. All those volunteers helped someone make a lot of money. That's where the bad taste comes in. Once bitten, twice shy.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

BikerDude wrote:Losing the Ironman has left a bad taste in the mouths of many people that I know. They felt like they had invested so much of their time and energy, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by council.

Get over it!!!

Losing the Ironman but gaining the Challenge has already proven to be much bigger and better. Way more entrants, way more people coming to town for this event. Way more money for the local economy.

If you are still upset about the effort you put into the Ironman, just redirect that effort into the Challenge.

Things change...
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I do volunteer for one event where money earned is given back to the community. Once I retire and have more time I may volunteer more. Only for events that are not some for profit corporation that uses the volunteers to further line their pockets. That was the reason I never helped with Ironman. I look at this weekends bike events and see nothing about charity's getting any money. Some events donate money to local groups and that is where my time will be given.
I have no issues with anyone who wishes to help out at any event but my valuable time will be given to those that give back, not to those that are solely to increase tourism. I do know these events help the city's economy but not with my "free" help.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

onestop67 wrote:
Get over it!!!

Losing the Ironman but gaining the Challenge has already proven to be much bigger and better. Way more entrants, way more people coming to town for this event. Way more money for the local economy.

If you are still upset about the effort you put into the Ironman, just redirect that effort into the Challenge.

Things change...

Not sure if it was a typo but the local rag stated today that this years Challenge race was way down to only 400 participants. Thought this was the big year for the event; what gives? Ironman Whistler contract is up this year, I believe. Maybe time to get it back here and dump the Challenge.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Iron man is owned by a New York hedge fund where profits drive the extortion towards the jurisdictions hosting it.
Iron man had a great run in Penticton but their continual demanding more and more came to a point where enough was enough and Penticton said no more. Whistler might have deeper pockets than Penticton for an event like Iron man and so be it. Their lake is really cold.

The Challenge race is in July this year at a reduced distance, (1/2 iron distance), ie. 2 K swim instead of 3.96K. In August there is a series of events over a number of days that are called the ITU Multi sport championship series races. large entry field expected there.

The Challenge might be down as if one goes to a tri magazine there is no shortage of events around the world wanting your entry fees. It has become a business now to sponsor one of these events. Not sure how I can justify a $230.00 entry fee for the swim portion of the Challenge relay for a 40 minute swim....oh and a cheap t-shirt.. :135:
Helps keep my girlish figure...perhaps [icon_lol2.gif]
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Interesting info from the locals in the Whistler area; not many support Ironman continuing there:

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/news/pe ... 1.20270826
Apex250

Post by Apex250 »

This year will be the final Coeur d'Alene" Ironman" because the Chamber of Commerce does not want to pay the US$50000 fee.
Sounds familiar.
It is worth noting they have not severed ties with Ironman as they will continue to host a half Ironman at a cost of $25000.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

I missed rib fest... doesn't really add to the conversation just thought Id mention I missed it, and that makes me sad. lol

I'm very thankful to the people who volunteer for events, I try my best when I have the time to help out, it makes the valley a better place for everybody.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

[quote="JBX"]very thankful to the people who volunteer for events, I try my best when I have the time to help out, it makes the valley a better place for everybody.

I am very thank full as well. I volunteered in the medical tent one year( Challenge) when I still was qualified and really enjoyed it as well as learning some interesting things.
The other volunteers were a like minded lot and made the experience one I won't forget. Have a chance?, throw your hat in the pot, great experience all around if you have the time
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

onestop67 wrote:

Really, lol.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

pentona wrote:
onestop67 wrote:
Get over it!!!

Things change...

Not sure if it was a typo but the local rag stated today that this years Challenge race was way down to only 400 participants. Thought this was the big year for the event; what gives? Ironman Whistler contract is up this year, I believe. Maybe time to get it back here and dump the Challenge.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-202215-21-.htm#202215

3600 participants for the ITU Championships this year.
The final Ironman had 2700 participants.

Maybe Challenge isn't so bad afterall
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Darkre wrote:Maybe Challenge isn't so bad afterall

You must be aware that Challenge, ITU Multisport and Ironman are 3 different things right?

Return to “South Okanagan”