Slow Speed Chase

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Slow Speed Chase

Post by WalterWhite »

What_the wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:Woohoo! Another chance for the armchair experts to microscopically pick every detail of every action apart from a predetermined viewpoint. Pigs? Using that single term alone negates anything of substance related to your further comments. We know nothing else of the story, let alone the actual situation, and what is known is largely blocked by a vehicle from view. Slow moving chase or not, he was removed from his vehicle and restrained. Up to that point he's considered armed and dangerous - "senior" or not.

Meh, I know them when I See them.
Having known many from both sides.
Your just an apologist for cops that view us as the enemy.

You just don't like my opinion.

Apologist? Hardly. I have zero issue with your opinion - the manner in which you present it however is a different story.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Fair enough WW.
I have zero respect for those type of cops. They get people injured and killed because they can't control their emotions. Since they have the licence to kill, if you will, I expect more than letting ones emotions take charge. Notice I called all the others officer.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Take this in context. I realize it's in Miami, I realize not all police are like this, I realize it's America, I realize different circumstances.

I'm only speaking to the "us vs them" mentality.
If I were an officer, I would be ashamed of my colleagues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G63FEamhpA0
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

If the old guy would have stopped like he was supposed to then the cop wouldn't have to prove to everyone that he's the Alpha Male in the pack.

See, its easy to be an apologist - just blame the cops actions on everyone else's actions and voila :up: :130:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/200975/No-charges-for-slow-chase

No charges for the driver due to medical condition. How about the cop? Any charges for him? Assault?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

What_the wrote:Take this in context. I realize it's in Miami, I realize not all police are like this, I realize it's America, I realize different circumstances.

I'm only speaking to the "us vs them" mentality.
If I were an officer, I would be ashamed of my colleagues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G63FEamhpA0

Haven't had the time to look into the details of that enough to make an educated comment. I will agree 100% that not every cop is infallible, and there are "bad apples" for lack of a better term in all occupations in all walks of life. Again, not condoning the mentality, but agreeing it exists. I also agree the video above is somewhat out of context. From the looks of things, this wasn't just a quiet peaceful protest, as a full compliment of riot police were deployed and moving on her location. I'm smart enough to know, having witnessed first hand the change in police tactics once an assembly has been declared unlawful and riot police are deployed, it's simply time to leave as ordered - plain and simple - or face the consequences as being presumed hostile. She clearly didn't listen. I am curious to know the outcome of her intended lawsuit against them. The ensuing banter in the debriefing of the incident also doesn't take into account the fact these briefings are also a means of members having a chance to decompress after a very tense situation. "Locker room banter" was a phrase all too often tossed about in the recent run-up to the US elections. I would put this in the same context.

ETA: I did find record of Miami-Dade County paying out approximately a half-million in a settlement for 21 individuals that cited wrongful arrest or detainment.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2007/ ... protesters

I couldn't find anything immediately about her statement about suing also. The settlement was also considered to have the least impact financially on the county, and that police acted appropriately overall, as surmised by their then chief:

Chief Timoney, the mastermind of Miami's multiagency FTAA police effort, minimized the settlement's importance in an interview outside commission chambers.

''Strictly a business decision,'' Timoney said. Miami had a good legal case against the 21 protesters, the chief said, but the expense of drawn-out court battles made settling the preferred option:

Regarding the police response during the FTAA, Timoney said: ``When you have big operations like that it can never be perfect . . . but I think we did as good a job as you could possibly do.''

There's bad cops on every force. There's also bad protesters at pretty much any semi-organized protest. On some rare occasions - the two meet.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Anonymous123 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/200975/No-charges-for-slow-chase

No charges for the driver due to medical condition. How about the cop? Any charges for him? Assault?

Also, the whole situation began with a report of him driving with a flat tire. That's it. Driving with a flat tire. Then he fails to pull over for police, so two spike belts are put down. Keeps driving. And it turns into a "take-down" that looks like its right out of an action movie. Seriously. The old guy has a medical condition already... and then gets roughed up. So this is what serve and protect looks like.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

RupertBear wrote:While I won't comment on the actions of these officers until the facts are presented, it appears at first glance that this elderly driver shouldn't have been behind the wheel in the first place.

Ummmm. You just did comment. And without all the facts. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

She clearly didn't listen.

Ummm, except for the fact that she was walking away and had her back to them.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Also, the whole situation began with a report of him driving with a flat tire. That's it. Driving with a flat tire. Then he fails to pull over for police, so two spike belts are put down. Keeps driving. And it turns into a "take-down" that looks like its right out of an action movie. Seriously. The old guy has a medical condition already... and then gets roughed up. So this is what serve and protect looks like.

In fairness, they didn't know that. But the jeff mantler wannabe needs to be dismissed as an officer of the law. He clearly can't control himself.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Funny that the term elderly is being used in reference to this 65 year old. My father is 77, the cops would have their hands full if they pulled him over in the same scenario. Especially if he thought they were going to take his license away.

We have no idea from this video the reaction the old man has to being pulled over. What he did or said.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Funny the RCMP is not commenting..
Not that they have to..

But if he did not hit anybody or any vehicles..... What we can see looks pretty harsh.
Maybe here is nothing they can say that makes them look better..?

Certainly looks like they got a React without Thinking It Through member..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Anonymous123 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/200975/No-charges-for-slow-chase

totoramona wrote:Also, the whole situation began with a report of him driving with a flat tire. That's it. Driving with a flat tire. Then he fails to pull over for police, so two spike belts are put down. Keeps driving. And it turns into a "take-down" that looks like its right out of an action movie. Seriously. The old guy has a medical condition already... and then gets roughed up. So this is what serve and protect looks like.

So easy to point out the mistakes after the fact. They acted on the information they were dispatched at the time and the events as they unfolded in front of them. Of course it makes the whole situation just that much uglier and therefore easier to criticize knowing all the facts. At the time, they were simply dealing with what they understood to be an uncooperative driver refusing to obey any and all commands. Once a driver runs spike belts, all bets are off and whether it's high speed or slow speed doesn't change the fact that it's a pursuit of an erratic driver behind the wheel of what can be a very dangerous weapon. So it was slow motion - had they walked up casual and cool because it was just some incoherent old man, who actually had a gun and opened fire, there would be some completely different viewpoints. This takes more than just putting yourself in someone's shoes - you have to walk a mile or two in them too.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

TreeGuy wrote:Funny that the term elderly is being used in reference to this 65 year old. My father is 77, the cops would have their hands full if they pulled him over in the same scenario. Especially if he thought they were going to take his license away.

We have no idea from this video the reaction the old man has to being pulled over. What he did or said.

There were enough officers on the scene. There was no need for the extra officer, let alone his actions.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

There was no need for the officer that got there last, to push the first ones out if the way.....FTFY.
Of course there could be a reasonable explanation ?
So if there is..lets hear it.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “South Okanagan”