Allergies suck!!!

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
boxman180
Fledgling

Allergies suck!!!

Post by boxman180 »

Just wondering how people with allergies are coping right now? My wife is having the worst allergy season ever! My son also has them but not as bad. We think the dog is partly to blame but they feel miserable no matter where they go. Medicine only seems to help for a couple of hours for slight relief but also hurts her stomach. Any advice? She has tried eating local honey but it does nothing.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Re: Allergies suck!!!

Post by Temet Nosce »

It has been the worst allergy year ever for many of my friends and family. My guess (just a guess) it is not the dog unless she has had pet allergies all along. It is a very bad year and sorry no suggestions other than maybe a trip to the doctor. It seems (after trying many allergy medications) the only allergy medication that my family has found 'a little' relief with is Benadryl ...but often have to tolerate the drowsy side effect which can be manageable if taken at night. I would ask the Doctor--especially what is best for treatment in children/youth before starting any medication. Good Luck
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

boxman180 wrote:Just wondering how people with allergies are coping right now? My wife is having the worst allergy season ever! My son also has them but not as bad. We think the dog is partly to blame but they feel miserable no matter where they go. Medicine only seems to help for a couple of hours for slight relief but also hurts her stomach. Any advice? She has tried eating local honey but it does nothing.

my understanding with those allergy medications is they need to be taken consistently, not just for flare ups - a pharmacist should probably confirm this though.... might help?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

June it's pretty bad, also late summer into Sept.
Knowing this, as soon as allergies kick in I got to start taking whatever non drowsy over the counter concoction i like before i'm clogged up, cause it takes a nights sleep to chill out the sinuses on that first dose to feel relief in the morning.
Everyone is different though - yeah allergies suck!

As with anything follow instructions on whatever you get.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

boxman180 wrote:Just wondering how people with allergies are coping right now? My wife is having the worst allergy season ever! My son also has them but not as bad. We think the dog is partly to blame but they feel miserable no matter where they go. Medicine only seems to help for a couple of hours for slight relief but also hurts her stomach. Any advice? She has tried eating local honey but it does nothing.

http://www.kelownaallergy.com/page5.html

Dr. Reeves is a great allergist, she can identify serious issues. My husband went through desensitisation shots about 20 years ago, and it did increase his tolerance towards local pollens. That was with Dr. Arkenstall, who had the practice before Dr. Reeves.

If your wife is having issues, make sure she's not the one doing the dusting and vacuuming - get anyone else to do it. Make sure your vents are vacuumed out, keep the house free of triggers. Make sure your furnace filter is clean if you have A/C.

This is a bad year. If you have a Costco membership, go to the pharmacy and ask for Novopheneram. It is an inexpensive allergy pill that seems to have less side effects. My dad takes them, told me about it. He's on all sorts of meds for issues, including COPD. It may be that it will be gentler for her. And it really does work :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
Beverl

Post by Beverl »

I'm allergic to dust. I don't take any medicine, I accepted it as a part of life.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I am allergic to everything except food.

Drinking 1 tbsp of raw organic apple cider vinegar in 10 oz of fruit tea with unpasteurized honey twice a day had helped. I still have to take my allergy meds everyday but they are better.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Old thread, but I thought I would bump it. :D

I have a funny feeling this year is going to be bad for allergies. That funny feeling is the tickle and the sneezing I have been doing for about 2 weeks now! :crazy:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

ferri wrote:Old thread, but I thought I would bump it. :D

I have a funny feeling this year is going to be bad for allergies. That funny feeling is the tickle and the sneezing I have been doing for about 2 weeks now! :crazy:
Let’s see .. watery eyes? Check. Sneezing? Check. Running nose? Check. Yup - would have to agree it’s allergy season and I don’t like it. Now just have to find my Claritin.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm 100% into wearing masks with the Covid but with the added allergy symptoms it really can *bleep* me off.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

Generic Nasonex for my nose (allergies/nasal polyps) and advair for my lungs (because asthma) :biggrin:

Every few years I get an eczema flair up on my neck so for that I use 1% hydrocortisone!

Allergies suck! They can *bleep* off and die!!!! :swear:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Last weekend was brutal. Worst my allergies have been in a while. :-X

Return to “Health”