Springfield Speedway

Home of the traffic rant.
hollymonster

Springfield Speedway

Post by hollymonster »

Just curious......is anyone else who lives on Springfield, say, from the Mall to Hwy.33, just about fed up with the idiots who feel it's their personal speedway? I've been there almost 15 yrs and have seen police speed checks three times, once was on a Sunday morning for crying out loud..... Are they just waiting for a fatality before something takes place to slow everyone down. While talking with city hall, I was told that they were thinking of using traffic calming tactics, or round a bouts at all intersections, then in the same phone call, he said that they didn't want to interrupt the traffic flow......well you can't have it both ways. I'm at a loss as to what to do next or who to talk to, so wanted to hear from others in my area who feel the same way.......
spooker

Re: Springfield Speedway

Post by spooker »

I don't live on Springfield but I use it for getting around a lot so I'm very familiar with it ... I'm always surprised at how many people ignored the "Ride the Wave" signage and would get themselves stopped by going too fast between Ziprick and Hollywood ...

We added speed humps to our street a few years ago and while it slows people down at the bumps there are the trucks who fly over because they can or the noise of the quick brake when people realize what they're going to do to their undercarriage ... and it still doesn't do anything after the final hump when people accelerate to the stop sign ...

I'm at a loss as to what can be done other than install an automated spike strip if you're too fast ...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Does not surprise me, that stretch of Springfield has always been speed alley. Maybe this area would be a perfect test for the cameras mentioned in this thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=73336
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Lol blame the city. It's one of about 3 stretched of road one can speed up on . If there are not so many lights slowing people down traffic flows and people won t speed so much . I live on a bust street where people speed recklessly as well .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Speaking from a similar situation keep calling the police and lodging complaints about speeding cars. Have all your neighbors do the same. We were successful in getting some enforcement to our "trouble zones".
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

spooker wrote:I don't live on Springfield but I use it for getting around a lot so I'm very familiar with it ... I'm always surprised at how many people ignored the "Ride the Wave" signage and would get themselves stopped by going too fast between Ziprick and Hollywood ...

I have yet once to actually make the "Ride The Wave" doing the speed limit with out hitting almost every red light. Going above the speed limit - I almost make it every time.

Actually time the lights to the speed limit and you've solved a big part of the problem.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

You can also "ride the wave" by doing 87km/hr....works great. :biggrin:
You and 71 others Like this post
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I'm fed up with traffic in general. Out for a walk last night with Mrs. Treeuy and this idiot in one of these rice rocket cars with a fart can goes screaming by us on Elliott Rd. It's a 50 zone, he was doing like 80. I'm tired of the recklessness and the noise that comes with it.
DarkMagna

Post by DarkMagna »

Dizzy1 wrote:I have yet once to actually make the "Ride The Wave" doing the speed limit with out hitting almost every red light. Going above the speed limit - I almost make it every time.

Actually time the lights to the speed limit and you've solved a big part of the problem.

^^
I don't live on Springfield either, but I've tried many times to confirm that the lights are setup properly to 'ride the wave'. Doesn't work. So instead, I go with the flow (safer anyway) which seems to be about 55 - 60.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Dizzy1 wrote:I have yet once to actually make the "Ride The Wave" doing the speed limit with out hitting almost every red light. Going above the speed limit - I almost make it every time.

^^
DarkMagna wrote:I don't live on Springfield either, but I've tried many times to confirm that the lights are setup properly to 'ride the wave'. Doesn't work. So instead, I go with the flow (safer anyway) which seems to be about 55 - 60.

I can confirm this. It's part of my daily commute, and the speed to hit every green (or red, depending on what you hit first, lol) is in the ballpark of 58km/h. Then a pedestrian hits a button and even that goes out the window. [icon_lol2.gif] Anyway, these "Ride the Wave" areas (you can find them in other cities, too) are (almost?) always set at a higher speed than the posted limit because
go with the flow (safer anyway)
is true & what most municipalities actually adhere to. I wish all drivers did, as well. We'd have less traffic issues overall.

I remember how I could drive right across St. Catharines on Welland Ave. and hit all greens by driving just under 70, when it was a 50 zone. (and OFC it had to be late at night, otherwise that road was worse than Harvey on a long weekend with an accident at Spall, Cooper, and Dilworth!)
Your bias suits you.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Don't expext much in the way of enforcement when Kelowna only has a total of about 7 traffic members (including the bosses who are stuck riding desks). Those 7 members are spread out on the schedule so rarely are there more than two or three on shift at a time.

The only way to get them to increase the number of dedicated traffic members is to complain. To the city and to the Kelowna Detachment (oh, sorry. "Kelowna Police Services Building")
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

KL3-Something wrote:Don't expext much in the way of enforcement when Kelowna only has a total of about 7 traffic members (including the bosses who are stuck riding desks). Those 7 members are spread out on the schedule so rarely are there more than two or three on shift at a time.

The only way to get them to increase the number of dedicated traffic members is to complain. To the city and to the Kelowna Detachment (oh, sorry. "Kelowna Police Services Building")

My neighbor complains often enough . I honestly think there is too many hard core scumbags for RCMP to give traffic much concern . They are as u say spread thin
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

KL3-Something wrote:Don't expext much in the way of enforcement when Kelowna only has a total of about 7 traffic members (including the bosses who are stuck riding desks). Those 7 members are spread out on the schedule so rarely are there more than two or three on shift at a time.

Makes one wonder which direction will the city go:
More officers or cameras
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

GordonH wrote:

Makes one wonder which direction will the city go:
More officers or cameras

Prefer cameras but that has it's own baggage .

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Kelowna rally . Start at kelowna mountain . Drive like he'll down the Gordon way full bore . Dehart to swamp picking up speed . Straight thru the traffic circle up south east kelowna back down to klo . Up Casorso to Springfield dodging ttraffic at speed . Make the corner at end of Springfield and full blast down Rutland road out to the highway . Lol

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”