RCMP helicopter searching......

Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: RCMP HELICOPTER SEARCHING......

Post by Wally »

I'm sure the operator feels terrible. They should. It is absolutely gross negligence to start your boat without knowing where everybody is. I see such Moronic actions going on every weekend I'm on the lake that I'm surprised we don't hear of more tragedies than we do.
Going today, hear tommorow
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Re: RCMP helicopter searching......

Post by Temet Nosce »

CN says 8 people on board--too many IMO. I am always surprised when I see boats with way too many on board. I thought there were capacity restrictions, weight. seating .. etc. I would have thought these over loaded boats would get stopped by authorities but apparently not since it seems common practice around here anyway.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Temet Nosce wrote:CN says 8 people on board--too many IMO. I am always surprised when I see boats with way too many on board. I thought there were capacity restrictions, weight. seating .. etc. I would have thought these over loaded boats would get stopped by authorities but apparently not since it seems common practice around here anyway.

8 is not bad, considering.
We counted between 14-16 on one wakeboard boat within the last month.
The rave music was blasting and they were "dancing" so it was difficult to be precise, but I know we got 14 and probably missed a few.
Was so ridiculous we had to do a count a laugh.
I'm sure they had enough lifejackets on board.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Whatever...."floats your boat" as they say :laugh: Personally that many on a boat would drive me nuts! I would be throwing some overboard for sure! :130:
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

I'm sorry but these people are utter idiots.

How stupid do you have to be to drive away without doing a head count, this is the exact reason I refuse to EVER get out of a boat if I'm not driving or hand the keys to ANYBODY if it's mine.

Should be a manslaughter charge for each and every one of them as far as I care. They literally left somebody to die.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Temet Nosce wrote:CN says 8 people on board--too many IMO. I am always surprised when I see boats with way too many on board. I thought there were capacity restrictions, weight. seating .. etc. I would have thought these over loaded boats would get stopped by authorities but apparently not since it seems common practice around here anyway.

most of the wakeboard boats will easily seat 8 legally now days, I do agree its to many not very comfortable with that many on board
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Boaters weren't drunk

A woman who was on board the boat when a man went missing in Okanagan Lake says people are jumping to conclusions.

She says the group was not drinking excessively on the boat, Saturday, when a 23-year-old friend slipped into the water and is presumed drowned.

"We had just gotten on the water," said the woman, who did not give her name. "We were just heading to the other side of the bridge, and the water was choppy.

"No one was swimming, but we did stop for someone to take a pee.

"No one saw him get in the water."

The group carried on before noticing their friend was no longer on board. She said the group hadn't been in the boat long enough for anyone to have more than a single drink.

"We were right by shore," she said. "For sure he would have been able to swim to the beach."

She fears the man may have hit his head if he dove in.

"People are saying nasty things on social media," she said. "I just wanted people to know that no one was being irresponsible."

RCMP divers are expected to continue the search this week.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... en-t-drunk
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I find it disheartening that when folks are under extreme stress and dealing with the possibility of the loss of

a friend and or loved one that they are forced into having to clarify the situation and protect the integrity of a loved one

because of what's being posted on social media. The would be "bimbo's" on said vessel and "captain" can

more than likely read. How would some of us like it if our sisters/daughters/wives were referred as such OR if WE

were the ones at the helm? I really wish people would have just a little more compassion before they publically post s*#t.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Perhaps that's true.

If they were drunk and or messing around do you REALLY think they would admit that?
We know they did one thing wrong for sure, where was his life jacket? Even if he fell out and get knocked out the jacket would have kept him afloat and they could have found it.

It's the driver of the boats responsibility not to move the boat until everybody is wearing one.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

JBX wrote:Perhaps that's true.

If they were drunk and or messing around do you REALLY think they would admit that?
We know they did one thing wrong for sure, where was his life jacket? Even if he fell out and get knocked out the jacket would have kept him afloat and they could have found it.

It's the driver of the boats responsibility not to move the boat until everybody is wearing one.

pretty sure the rcmp would check if the operator was dui or not and yes its the operators responsibility to make sure everyones in the boat its up to you if you wish to wear a pfd I'm sure the boat operator is devastated by this
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Barney Google wrote:
I find it disheartening that when folks are under extreme stress and dealing with the possibility of the loss of

a friend and or loved one that they are forced into having to clarify the situation and protect the integrity of a loved one

because of what's being posted on social media. The would be "bimbo's" on said vessel and "captain" can

more than likely read. How would some of us like it if our sisters/daughters/wives were referred as such OR if WE

were the ones at the helm? I really wish people would have just a little more compassion before they publically post s*#t.

Never said anything about bimbos being on the boat that lost someone, go back and read and grab a brain while your at it.
Your the one posting "shhhtuff".
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

JBX wrote:Perhaps that's true.

I am sure the police had contact with the operator relatively quick and could rule out booze.
Was out on the Kelowna Marina dock a few weeks ago when a boat dropped off an overdosed male passenger and called 911 and took off and left him there alone.
Guessing they did not feel like talking to police or paramedics for some reason.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

fall wrote:
Barney Google wrote:

Never said anything about bimbos being on the boat that lost someone, go back and read and grab a brain while your at it.
Your the one posting "shhhtuff".

Postby fall » Yesterday, 6:18 pm
vegas1500 wrote:
I agree.....but have seen some of these large wake boats with 10-12 people in them. Add a few "pops" and people having fun and I could see it happening....

Exactly, if not more packed on them. Not sure why they don't just get cabin cruisers or pontoon boats, how often do they really wake board?
Saw one packed heading out in the waves with five bimbos laying on the back yesterday, was just watching waiting for one to fall in.

Grab a brain? C'mon man, they're your words. Maybe not in direct relation to the boat in question but your reference was in general terms.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Realistically people will never stop making their views known through social media--not always okay and sometimes negative impacts--but it's here to stay and my advice to some in the past affected by circumstances in the media has been to avoid reading comments etc. as much as possible because no amount of clarification will stop or corral those who are determined to share their views online or just enjoy trolling and/or are entertained by the misery of others...
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I really wish people would educate themselves on "capacity restrictions".

Seven of the eleven boats Downtown Marina rents on their site have seating in the double-digits (up to 16 for a Mastercraft X30) and that doesn't count the two pontoon boats that hold 14 and 16 people.

Return to “Central Okanagan”