Declare fireban when risk is high

johnny24
Board Meister

Re: DECLARE FIREBAN WHEN RISK IS HIGH

Post by johnny24 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 17th, 2017, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Declare fireban when risk is high

Post by Merry »

Most fires are caused by lightening, not human error. But of those that are due to human error, many are from things like sparks on a railway line (ban trains?), or workers in the bush (ban logging?), or even home owners doing stuff that causes a spark (ban all homes that are anywhere near trees?).

When the fire situation is extreme they always do ban campfires. But it's an oversimplification to say that enacting earlier campfire bans would reduce the problem of wild fires. Those fires in the Central Interior were caused by lightening, and exacerbated by high winds and high temps. Campfires had nothing to do with it.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Merry wrote:Most fires are caused by lightening, not human error. But of those that are due to human error, many are from things like sparks on a railway line (ban trains?), or workers in the bush (ban logging?), or even home owners doing stuff that causes a spark (ban all homes that are anywhere near trees?).

When the fire situation is extreme they always do ban campfires. But it's an oversimplification to say that enacting earlier campfire bans would reduce the problem of wild fires. Those fires in the Central Interior were caused by lightening, and exacerbated by high winds and high temps. Campfires had nothing to do with it.
Attachments
untitled.png
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

No, I don't support this and I just got back from being evacuated.

From what I've seen - the vast majority of fires this year has been from cigarettes and lightning strikes. An earlier campfire ban would have made little or no difference.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

time to ban lightning unless it comes with rain
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 17th, 2017, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

theres videon on social media of a few folks coming accross a camp fire left and was starting to burn into the forest .

and down by harrison fire the firepeople came across a campfire that had spread also.clearly they need to be banned . and i go further restrict access. that is unless johnny can prove he can put any fire out . might want g9 put the one by alexis creek out first there johnny :smt045
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 17th, 2017, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It would be curious to know how many of human caused fires were from a 1) campfire/2) cigarette butt, or other
i.e ATV/motorcycle or complete moron with fireworks

That's if they are able to figure it out
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Just don't ban camp fires for firefighters.

Point is that responsible people can be responsible, and nothing is idiot proof.
Your bias suits you.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

GordonH wrote:It would be curious to know how many of human caused fires were from a 1) campfire/2) cigarette butt, or other
i.e ATV/motorcycle or complete moron with fireworks

That's if they are able to figure it out

I would like to know also. I can't find the stats. I asked a previous poster to back up his opinion with facts, but apparently the mods here think educated opinions are off topic.

I'm surprised that campfires in a pit are a high risk. I've had many campfires in provincial campgrounds. Never once have I seen it light an unintended source on fire.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

maryjane48 wrote:theres videon on social media of a few folks coming accross a camp fire left and was starting to burn into the forest .

and down by harrison fire the firepeople came across a campfire that had spread also.clearly they need to be banned . and i go further restrict access. that is unless johnny can prove he can put any fire out . might want g9 put the one by alexis creek out first there johnny :smt045

The type of people who would walk away without making sure the fire is out, are also the type of people who would probably ignore a campfire ban.

It isn't fair to enact rules that punish those who are responsible, as a means of stopping irresponsible acts. Because irresponsible people don't follow the rules in the first place.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Woodenhead wrote:Just don't ban camp fires for firefighters.

Point is that responsible people can be responsible, and nothing is idiot proof.

actually the point is not all responsible people are not idiots I hope these clowns are all fired pun intended for this stupid decision I don't imagine anyone who has lost everything in that area would be very impressed to see this, and before the sob story about them being fire fighters and able to put it out starts keep in mind they have no idea where the sparks from that fire are landing and what they might be doing
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I agree that lighting that fire was foolish; but I'm not sure I'd fire them. Right now they need every firefighter they can get.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

ya suppose they do hopefully theres some form of disciplinary action I cant help but think how incredibly stupid one must be to think that was a good idea

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”