Spandex alert!!

Home of the traffic rant.
Bubalouie
Guru

Re: SPANDEX ALERT!!

Post by Bubalouie »

You are so very right LTD . one of them is going to get seriously hurt one of these days.
spooker

Post by spooker »

So, we have drivers claiming that other traffic makes them unsafe, why? because crossing the centreline in a cocoon of metal with safety gadgets out the wazoo perturbs the drive. We have the claim that RCMP need to stake out the route and make these rebels toe the line since they're slowing people down where they might actually be able to see the scenery.

Everyday I go out there and ride in traffic. I watch people do stupid things in cars and on bicycles alike. But for all the choices that I see people make that I wouldn't feel safe making, at the end of the day I don't worry about it.

We're so "entitled" to think that every little inconvenience is an affront to us personally. We're all traffic out there and we have to take responsibility for ourselves, not everyone else on the road.

We have a "complain about cyclists" thread ... not active right now but it'll come back again is the "complain about senior drivers" thread ... we always love to hash out the "complain about transit" thread ... but the longest running thread is the "complain about the general drivers" thread ... sometimes I think that the anger we generate over every little thing is the only reason we're not curled up in a little ball in the corner having a personal pity party ...

Sorry, I need to go out for a nice long ride and generate some happiness ...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

actually we're talking about a specific group that intentionally ignore the rules of the road putting others at risk on a fairly regular basis and the more you try to deflect and defend these idiots the more I'm inclined to believe you ride with them perhaps you should talk to them. I also don't need a bunch of ftards in spandex to slow me down to "take in the scenery'' when I want to do that I will jump on my own bike and go for a ride or go for a walk and by the way I get that people make mistakes on the road both in cars and on bikes but these idiots are intentionally being a hazard and that's the problem.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

spooker wrote:
lightspeed wrote:Oh look:

MVA is your friend....

Rights and duties of operator of cycle

183 (2) A person operating a cycle

(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway

Oh look!

203 (1) A person must not open the door of a motor vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so.

And yet a driver did that and killed a cyclist two years ago ... who's going to die from two-abreast cyclists? other than possibly the cyclists ...

We know it's not a perfect world and people will be *bleep* no matter their mode of transport ... so let's not go down that route ... let's just make sure no one dies from either our bad behaviour or impatience ...

I've started training for a long distance race later this month and have joined up with a couple of Sunday group rides ... and so far I've been reasonably happy with the behaviour of the riders ... no, we're not the top level riders and our uphill pace will not be giving Peter Sagan or Froome any competition (sorry for the delay along Anderson Rd last Sunday) ... but no drivers have honked at us ... we call out "car back" and tighten up when we're getting spread out ... it's pretty civilized ...

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-09-27/ ... g-cyclists
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

spooker

Post by spooker »

fvkasm2x wrote:http://globalnews.ca/news/3603482/dash-cam-captures-ottawa-cyclist-getting-struck-by-car/?utm_source=GlobalEdmonton&utm_medium=Facebook

Ha ha. Man down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny01_mvJyjA

Muahaha. another car off the road! </sarcasm>

Sorry, we know people run red lights ... of course it's a worse idea when you're on two wheels and aren't enclosed with all the safety gadgets known to human kind ... taking enjoyment in it tells more about yourself than the people in the collision ... and yes, the cyclist in this case was charged for the accident ...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Spandex alert!!

Post by LTD »

hopefully forced to pay for damage to the car as well
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Makes me want to go out and get a Dash-Cam. Hopefully there are a lot of people in South/South East Kelowna that drive with these cameras and can post similar "cycling follies" videos for all of us to enjoy. You can title it Spandex Bloopers. It could also be used as a training video for drivers.........."what to expect from entitled cyclists, hand gestures to watch for, vocabulary to expect and so on".
fvkasm2x wrote:http://globalnews.ca/news/3603482/dash-cam-captures-ottawa-cyclist-getting-struck-by-car/?utm_source=GlobalEdmonton&utm_medium=Facebook

Ha ha. Man down!
spooker

Post by spooker »

This guy hasn't been active like he used to be: https://twitter.com/kelownatraffic?lang=en

He had fun documenting stupid car tricks ...

By the way, have you seen the study that shows attitude towards cyclists affects your ability to see them on the road?
https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/new-study-looks-attitudes-drivers-toward-cyclists-and-it-aint-pretty.html

So, you might be more inclined to hit a cyclist if you have a bad attitude towards cyclists, and we're not talking intentional ... "be careful what you wish for" ??
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Duffus rides out of a parking lot, across a multi-use pathway straight out into the roadway
in front of a large commercial truck, effectively blocking it's determined course.
Then seems surprised and po'd when the horn starts blaring and he gets mildly crowded
off to the edge.

Why did we all spend the monies for all these fancy bike lanes "away" from vehicles if
no one uses them ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
spooker

Post by spooker »

dirtybiker wrote:Duffus rides out of a parking lot, across a multi-use pathway straight out into the roadway
in front of a large commercial truck, effectively blocking it's determined course.
Then seems surprised and po'd when the horn starts blaring and he gets mildly crowded
off to the edge.

Why did we all spend the monies for all these fancy bike lanes "away" from vehicles if
no one uses them ?

You'll find me on the paths about half the time ... if I'm trying to move fast I'll use the road ... the paths were not designed for all cycling purposes

We built the paths to get more people on bikes ... a lot of those will be novice riders who are going "slow" and don't have the experience yet to ride correctly with vehiclular traffic
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

if theres a bike path youre required to use it, I know in your special world you feel differently but you really are required to use it that's what its for, I don't drive on your designated bike paths how about you try and put forth the same respect
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

LTD wrote:if theres a bike path youre required to use it, I know in your special world you feel differently but you really are required to use it that's what its for, I don't drive on your designated bike paths how about you try and put forth the same respect

Bike "path" or bike "lane"?

There's no obligation for a cyclist to use a path off the road. Even if the paths exist, using the road is legal.

Bikes have the same "rights" as any other vehicle.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

yes youre correct if theres a bike lane theyre required to use it a path is different
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Okay, this is a serious question and for all I know the guy who did it might recognize himself and comment.

I'm driving up to Kettle Valley Estates and the road work being done gives up all a one way lane for a short period of time. So we're waiting to go up. We're given the signal to proceed and by the time I get to the second flagperson, the line up coming down is starting to form.

Except for older guy in spandex, on a bike. He cut across the lane in front of the advancing cars and carved his own path down on what would be my right hand side and came with in a foot or so of the Fortis (?) or Hydro truck parked on the right (hence one way traffic) and riding downhill without barely a brake used. I could see the incredulous look on the flagbears face as she watched him ride close to the work truck.

Man, if you're the one reading this, you're an idiot.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”