Air BNB Problem

How To Deal With An Illegal Flop House Or So Called Air BNB

Poll ended at Aug 25th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Try to ignore the problem and let them do what ever they want at my expense
No votes
Create noise and mayhem with assorted household noise making machines as payback from 7am to 10pm
14%
Call bylaw and go by the book
86%

Total votes: 7

n2ktown

Re: Air BNB Problem

Post by n2ktown »

RustyCrayon wrote:
sublime wrote:
Couldn't agree more. There have been two articles in the last week about new hotels expected to be built in both Oliver and Vernon. On top of that some posters again taking a minority experience with Airbnb and paint a blanket statement. I would take a wild guess most of those opposed have not ever used an Airbnb. There are hundreds if not thousands of Airbnbs across the Okanagan, what percentage have issues? With that attitude then there are issues with hotel guests, festivals, events etc.? Sounds like the same people that complain about all the previously mentioned. No pleasing some.

So you would be fine with your neighbours operating an AirBnB that was continuous party house all summer long?
Noise, loud music, yelling, cars parked all over the place... and once they get tired and go home, a whole new batch shows up the next day. Because that's what is going on in our neighbourhood. I guess that makes us narrow minded, because we don't want to live next to a revolving door of noisy, inconsiderate strangers.

No, not all AirBnBs are like that. But people SHOULD have a choice when it comes to moving next to a hotel, nightclub or amusement park.

No not at all. If you're not going to read my post in its entirety then don't bother posting a reply. You are completely ignoring what I wrote.

I said respecting my neighbour's is very important to me and that I do not allow guests to be a nusance. If that is the respect I show my neighbour's and ask of my airbnb's then of course I would expect that in return. And I never said people who have bad experiences with airbnb are narrow minded, I said people who have had a bad experience and then put a blanket statement on airbnb's as a whole are. My intention was clearly not to offend people who don't like airbnb, but rather to point out some pros so you have more information to generate an opinion on the subject. I also noted that full suites and homes being rented out should follow bylaw rules.

Regardless, your above complaints are not exclusive to airbnb. I had a terrible renter that lived next door.. constantly swearing, being rude, calling bylaw with false accusations etc. And guess what, he was there all day, every day with nothing I could do to remove him. You cannot kick tenants out for bad behaviour, if you think it's easy, I suggest trying it for yourself.. it's painful. I'm sure you'd be putting your foot in your mouth if that airbnb was replaced by full time tenants that you didn't like (perhaps loud tenants that didn't follow noise rules, or people with substance abuse, or pack rats with multiple vehicles, or people with misbehaving children.. The list goes on). Removing airbnb or charging for it, does not mean that the possibility of unfavorable neighbors is removed. Airbnb is great in my opinion, clearly there is room for improvement. Why not make some suggestions of how to fix these problems rather than just complaining. Airbnb has procedures in place for guests not following rules, perhaps leveraging the software that is already in place and the review system can help resolve these issues by hosts being more accountable for the types of guests they're allowing in. Perhaps even going over to your neighbour and in a kind way telling them that some airbnbs are disruptive and see if there is anything the neighbourhood can do to help solve the problem amungst yourselves. Hosts can give guests bad reviews which would make it hard for them to rent again, but that host may need your help if they are not present to give a proper review.
n2ktown

Post by n2ktown »

Old techie wrote:
I suspect that some who are defending Air BNB's, are the same who complain about orchards that want to make a few extra bucks by allowing campers, or who gripe about improper use of ALR land, which at the end of the day has far less direct impact on neighbors than an Air BNB operation located within a residential neighborhood. Just say'n there's more than one way to look at it.

If we want farmers to adhere to ALR regulations, then home owners should adhere to zoning regulations in residential areas.

That is a terrible assumption. Logic would suggest that the people complaining about airbnb are the ones that are complaining about ALR regulations. Either way, seems like a moot point and that you're leveraging one topic to complain about another.
UncleChubs

Post by UncleChubs »

I am sick and tired of those selfish individuals whose concern is only for themselves, and to hell with anyone adversely affected! Air BNB is completely and utterly out of place in a residential neighbourhood! It is a cancer which must be cut out wherever and whenever discovered. Legitimate homeowners invest a lifetime of savings into a home in a neighbourhood with other single family homes. Let us hope that city council, who previously dropped the ball on secondary suites, takes meaningful action and doesn't allow this cancer to exist, or God forbid, spread.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

n2ktown wrote:
Old techie wrote:
I suspect that some who are defending Air BNB's, are the same who complain about orchards that want to make a few extra bucks by allowing campers, or who gripe about improper use of ALR land, which at the end of the day has far less direct impact on neighbors than an Air BNB operation located within a residential neighborhood. Just say'n there's more than one way to look at it.

If we want farmers to adhere to ALR regulations, then home owners should adhere to zoning regulations in residential areas.

That is a terrible assumption. Logic would suggest that the people complaining about airbnb are the ones that are complaining about ALR regulations. Either way, seems like a moot point and that you're leveraging one topic to complain about another.

Logic might suggest that, however you apparently haven't been around long enough, to see for yourself how short the supply of logic is on this board. [icon_lol2.gif]

It's right up there with common sense, which these days is anything but common. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

UncleChubs wrote:I am sick and tired of those selfish individuals whose concern is only for themselves, and to hell with anyone adversely affected! Air BNB is completely and utterly out of place in a residential neighbourhood! It is a cancer which must be cut out wherever and whenever discovered. Legitimate homeowners invest a lifetime of savings into a home in a neighbourhood with other single family homes. Let us hope that city council, who previously dropped the ball on secondary suites, takes meaningful action and doesn't allow this cancer to exist, or God forbid, spread.

I concur. Suburbia is bad enough. Add secondary suites and air b'nb and you have the perfect storm.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
n2ktown

Post by n2ktown »

UncleChubs wrote:I am sick and tired of those selfish individuals whose concern is only for themselves, and to hell with anyone adversely affected! Air BNB is completely and utterly out of place in a residential neighbourhood! It is a cancer which must be cut out wherever and whenever discovered. Legitimate homeowners invest a lifetime of savings into a home in a neighbourhood with other single family homes. Let us hope that city council, who previously dropped the ball on secondary suites, takes meaningful action and doesn't allow this cancer to exist, or God forbid, spread.

The only thing that is consistent is change. If you chose to fight it you will just be miserable. Clearly many people like airbnb otherwise it wouldn't have gotten so popular so quickly. The demand and supply are both high. You and the city and anyone else who doesn't like it will have to learn to adapt. If you lived in an area where the first cars were invented, you would have complained about the noise rather then seeing the huge benefits.

Your comment is quite hypocritical... calling people who host and stay airbnb's selfish yet there are many people benefiting from it but because you don't like it, it should be stopped? Clearly, you also are concerned for yourself which isn't a bad thing. If you chose to live in a city with neighbors you have to respect other home owners choices just as much as they have to respect bylaws and your rights to enjoy your home within those bylaws. Just because people are embracing airbnb doesn't make them any less of a "legitimate homeowner".
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

n2ktown wrote: Just because people are embracing airbnb doesn't make them any less of a "legitimate homeowner".

Actually yes it does, it makes them hotel owners not homeowners.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Air BNB is awesome!
Ive traveled tons with Air BNB and am respectfull and 90% of time besides different car in driveway the neighbours probably didnt have a clue. No differrent than spending night at a friends.
Bonus it makes traveling affordable and attainable to young under paid/over worked millenials.

Shity neighbours short term or yearly are just shity people...u will have to live with it. part of living in a community.. Atleast most air bnb guests and hosts want to keep good ratings... as always there are some that dont care... atleast air bnb idiots are only there short term not yearly lease or home owner that is a constant pain.

Back in the day you could short term/rent rooms weekly/monthly by putting up newspaper ads or word of mouth. the internet/air bnb/couchsurfer/workaway/social media ect have just made these types of arrangements easier and more efficent.

Some home owners buy homes and love air bnb, the income it generates and not having to be stuck in your home 365days a year when u could have multiple and/or travel/move from house to house well they dont sit empty. Or use spare bedroom to rent out on weeks/days its not needed. Others dont want air bnb in the area, usually same type that *bleep* about basement suites and other affordable multi unit housing being built in their neihbourhoods.

Honestly thats part of why I love Air BNB & Uber ect! The fact they aee disruptive, changing the norms & over regulation that seems to be normal in every aspect of our life..

let the NIMBY people *bleep*! fun seeing them get worked up anyways... its not going anywhere... :popcorn:
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

ohhh, so many questions for the letter writer n2ktown..

first off, how did you as a minimum wage earner qualify to buy a home ???

second, you are not at your home when renting out your "room", you stated in your letter that you go camping etc (that's what you use the extra income for apparently)

third, you said that the city shouldn't put more restrictions nor add anymore costs to Air BnB's because basically it would hurt YOUR bottom line by deterring your guests..

fourth, you then tell "homeowners" on here who are having issues with their neighbors that are using their homes like a hotel, that "you're just looking at it wrong and that it could be worse because you could be living by a mthly bad tenant"

I don't know n2ktown...seems to me that YOU are also being very hypocritical ..you think homeowners (some aren't even homeowners, some are just renters themselves) should be able to change the zoning in residential areas so they can make some extra income at the expense of the Bylaws and the rights of others...

also I have to add that YES, Air BnB's do take away from the rental pool here (and it's very slim in Kelowna) last yr the workers at Big White had a hard time finding a place to live (that didn't take up 3/4's of their pay cheques) so they could work there because owners started using all the available rentals for Air BnB (because they make more money, plain and simple)..
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

LiamHaddock wrote: young under paid/over worked millenials.

Hahahahahahaha ! That's funny stuff.

Personally, when daily and weekly rentals were happening across the street from us.
It was a nightmare of a summer. Not once was it a nice family holiday. Well, maybe once.
It was a constant revolving door of binge partiers, impaired drivers, druggies, litter-bugs,
foul mouthed people that parked their high end vehicles every which way.

Police presence nearly every week !

It took the whole neighbourhood to band together to petition it away.

Bonus, we met some more good people neighbours.

The lady that has that house is still a $hitty neighbour to everyone, but at least
we only have to deal with her, not a plethora of other twits.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

LOL too funny.

We were all young, underpaid, and overworked once. I worked three jobs. And put myself through college. Nobody pitied me and I asked for no sympathy.

It was called "life".

Nowadays it's a pity party and melodrama.

Modern life.....

Air b'n b is a curse upon homeowners and another attack on the middle classes.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
n2ktown

Post by n2ktown »

W105 wrote:ohhh, so many questions for the letter writer n2ktown..

first off, how did you as a minimum wage earner qualify to buy a home ???

second, you are not at your home when renting out your "room", you stated in your letter that you go camping etc (that's what you use the extra income for apparently)

third, you said that the city shouldn't put more restrictions nor add anymore costs to Air BnB's because basically it would hurt YOUR bottom line by deterring your guests..

fourth, you then tell "homeowners" on here who are having issues with their neighbors that are using their homes like a hotel, that "you're just looking at it wrong and that it could be worse because you could be living by a mthly bad tenant"

I don't know n2ktown...seems to me that YOU are also being very hypocritical ..you think homeowners (some aren't even homeowners, some are just renters themselves) should be able to change the zoning in residential areas so they can make some extra income at the expense of the Bylaws and the rights of others...

also I have to add that YES, Air BnB's do take away from the rental pool here (and it's very slim in Kelowna) last yr the workers at Big White had a hard time finding a place to live (that didn't take up 3/4's of their pay cheques) so they could work there because owners started using all the available rentals for Air BnB (because they make more money, plain and simple)..

Thank you so much for your questions and comments! Posts like this make for great discussion is what I was hoping for. :)

1. I am not a minimum wage worker. I haven't stated that I am, sorry if some of my responses that have mentioned minimum wage workers confused this. I have worked very hard and made sacrifices to be able to get into the housing market at a young age - which i am sure many others have done as well. Because I am a single income home and dont have family in town, having options like airbnb really help me achieve other goals or just live comfortably.

2. This is the beauty of airbnb. Airbnb is flexible, if I want to go out of town, I don't have to rent the room out. My spare room in not rented out every night (50% occupancy on a busy month). You are correct in the sense that I shouldn't have said I am always at home while guests are, I am home majority of the time would have been more appropriate. I have a good relationship with my neighbors, if I am not home while I have guests there (at work or staying at a friends for a night etc.), my neighbor helps to keep an eye on my place and I help her in return, putting her garbage out on days forgotten or watching the kids etc. We help each other and it is great. Airbnb income doesn't go towards only camping (I wish!!), it just allows me to live more comfortably and do things I enjoy without stressing about money as much.

3. I don't agree that the city should restrict or add cost to airbnb without contributing to the cause. If they are taking a portion or the income, it would be fair to have a service provided in return. I would have to put more time and research into this before coming up with suggestions as to what (maybe neighborly dispute resolution?). And you're right, it would hurt my bottom line. There is nothing wrong with looking out for yourself as long as your are mindful and kind to those around you. It would be great if the city could put some policies in place that allowed airbnb to continue but also made sure those who chose not to use airbnb, not be negativity affected. Have you had any bad experiences? Do you have any recommendations on how to address the issues you've experienced other than getting rid of airbnb entirely?

4. Just saying there are a lot of benefits to a lot of people and to encourage people to look at solutions to fix the problems they're having.

I don't think bylaw should change entirely but I do think bylaws should be reviewed as they need to adapt to new situations such as airbnb.
n2ktown

Post by n2ktown »

dirtybiker wrote:

Hahahahahahaha ! That's funny stuff.

Personally, when daily and weekly rentals were happening across the street from us.
It was a nightmare of a summer. Not once was it a nice family holiday. Well, maybe once.
It was a constant revolving door of binge partiers, impaired drivers, druggies, litter-bugs,
foul mouthed people that parked their high end vehicles every which way.

Police presence nearly every week !

It took the whole neighbourhood to band together to petition it away.

Bonus, we met some more good people neighbours.

The lady that has that house is still a $hitty neighbour to everyone, but at least
we only have to deal with her, not a plethora of other twits.

Sounds like you have a great neighborhood. Good job on resolving the bad situation. That airbnb host sounds like she was not only creating problems for your neighborhood but also making a bad reputation for other responsible airbnb users. :)
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

The problem is the airbnb host doesn't have to deal with the nuisance people using their airbnb - neighbors do. Yet hosts get to keep all the revenue. Is it fair for a neighbor to have to deal with a new group being excessively noisy every week? Maybe there should be a feedback mechanism in airbnb to allow adjacent property owners to leave reviews... *bleep* off too many neighbors and you don't get to host anymore. Airbnb, imo, is a business and properties using it should be zoned and taxed as such.

I agree with others' sentiment - I like using airbnb, but sure as heck wouldn't want to live next to one.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I wonder if CRA keeps track of who is operating an Air BNB and makes sure that they declare their income from it. If there's a nuisance one on your street, might be a good idea to tip off the taxman.

Return to “Central Okanagan”