Windows 10 Creators Update

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Windows 10 Creators Update

Post by Bsuds »

BCfromBC wrote:thanks kelownaman for the advice.
I have backup disks for win 7, can I do that and then update?
I cant find a free version of win creator and ms wants to charge for a new one. I got mine free at the time.
Thanks

You don't need disks. MS knows it was installed before. Make sure you know your password.

You can either do an install from scratch or one that saves your info. Either way make sure you have everything backed up just in case.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

BCfromBC wrote:I cant find a free version of win creator and ms wants to charge for a new one. I got mine free at the time.
Thanks

have a thumb drive plugged in to the computer
click on the download tool
select create installation media and choose the thumb drive
when it is done, boot up with that thumb drive
do a clean install
if it asks for the windows key, just press later...it should auto activate

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
BCfromBC

Post by BCfromBC »

Did the clean install and everything is working great.
Stored files on D partition but still lost tons of stuff, oh well this will be fun [icon_lol2.gif]
Thanks to all who had suggestions
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

I am a bit confused by this whole re-install the WIN10 operating system discussion.

I have been running PC's since DOS 5 and in all that time, the only time I had to re-format and re-install an operating system was when I decided to change from one version to another.
EG: DOS5 to DOS6 - to WIN3.1 - to XP and finally to WIN7 where I am now.

Since 10 came out I keep seeing and hearing discussions about "clean installs" - "secure backups to protect your data" (and in multiple on and off site locations, of course).
Is this why I have never done a WIN10 install?
Is it really that crappy that everyone is losing their data on a regular basis?

IMO - Win7 is as stable as XP with some fairly decent enhancements.
Is there really a need to change to 10 and join in the grief and heartache that I am hearing about in this discussion??

As just another old - set in his ways - guy, I am curious (but not yellow :biggrin: )
NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:
IMO - Win7 is as stable as XP with some fairly decent enhancements.
Is there really a need to change to 10 and join in the grief and heartache that I am hearing about in this discussion??

Windows xp or 7 through to windows 95, 98, 8 and .... cant recall the other versions...all had their issues in losing data for one reason or another. Windows 10 is no different.

What hasnt changed is having a proper back up of your C drive. Using an imaging program so that if you do lose your C drive because of some unforeseen reason, it is a simple task to restore your saved image and be back up and running in short order. That is why one "should" think about their back up plans if their system goes down. It will be too late to think about it when the failure occurs and you did not have the foresight to image your C drive BEFORE it fails. :smt045 That is why I used Macrium Reflect, an easy to use program that will get you back up and running in 15 minutes.
BCfromBC

Post by BCfromBC »

update: I was able to find alot of my apps and files in the Windows old file.
So it was not as bad as I first thought.

One thing I really hate about win 10 is the start menu so I installed Startisback.
Gives me the win 7 start menu.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

BCfromBC wrote:One thing I really hate about win 10 is the start menu so I installed Startisback.
Gives me the win 7 start menu.

It's actually not that bad once you get used to it.

You can just click on the start icon and start typing whatever program you want and it will pop up anyway.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are always things that might be annoying at first but after using and setting your preferences really aren't too bad.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:There are always things that might be annoying at first but after using and setting your preferences really aren't too bad.

Naturally to each his own, but I feel it's wiser to adjust to minor changes, as opposed to adding more programs/clutter to the operating system in an attempt to defy change. :biggrin:

Often times those third party tweaks can also be the source of unexplained glitches/behavior.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Bsuds wrote:There are always things that might be annoying at first but after using and setting your preferences really aren't too bad.

but still aren't as good as before.

Buncha shills, the lot of ya.
Your bias suits you.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

"Still aren't as good as before" is a subjective opinion, and there are probably many more who feel it's better than before.

I've never seen a blue screen in Win 10, whereas it was a common thing in the other flavors.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I've never seen a blue screen since XP.
Your bias suits you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have had a blue screen in Win 10 when it tried to do the Anniversary update on my Laptop.
I had to go back to 8.1 as 10 will not install on it. I haven't tried for awhile, might give it another try.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:I have had a blue screen in Win 10 when it tried to do the Anniversary update on my Laptop.
I had to go back to 8.1 as 10 will not install on it. I haven't tried for awhile, might give it another try.

Not a blue screen but I have encountered times where Win 10 failed to install after a long period of trying. In some instances it generated a disc space error which I questioned.

It does eat a lot of space during an installation attempt, since it downloads the new installation files which are up to 3.6GB if I recall correctly, plus it generates the Windows Old file which is also huge, so in some instances disc space can become the difference between a successful installation and a failure.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

I came across a new, for me, FREE imaging program that will backup your C drive and other partitions to get you back up and running again in 10 to 15 minutes. It is rated #1 by review sites, http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/u ... -software/ . My other program I use, Macrium Reflect, is rated #3.

https://www.paragon-software.com/ufsdhome/br-free/

To get a free activation key sign up (start the program and click the link) and enter your email address.
They will send you an email to reset your password
They will send you another email indicating your password has been reset
Another email will be sent giving you the activation code
(if it is slow to send that email, log in to the website and choose “My Products”, the serial number (activation code) will be shown there)
Enter the code into the program, go to the help menu, select activate
Restart your computer
You are now ready to use the program
If you have multiple computers, you have to use another DIFFERENT email address to get another code.

Capture.JPG

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”