BC libs wont let Coulson work the fires

Jx3
Übergod

Re: BC libs wont let Coulson work the fires

Post by Jx3 »

maryjane48 wrote:now in that statement you will notice it only takes an hour to roll the upper tanks in. the lower can be installed at lock head . not months ,hours .

I love how you can read a random article on the interwebz and suddenly become an instant expert in the field!

Having just completed a C-130 tanker conversion for Coulson (Tanker 133) here in Kelowna back in April of this year I can say with a degree of certainty that the initial conversion process does in fact take "hours", just as you claim.... in this case approximately 13,000 of them to be precise!

Yes, once the initial conversion is completed then yes the change from tanker configuration to cargo or vice versa is a quick process.

It's been more than a week now, are "Wayne's" fancy new 737 air tankers operational now as you claimed they would be?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lockhead martin doesnt make boeing 737 . the c130 were outfitted at lockhead with bottom tanks . wayne has to install the bottoms himself because boeing doesnt want to preinstall .
the c130 can go from packing drop matterial or people and equipment in a hour or less . :130:

and wayne has been certified fly night vision in canada since 2013 by transport canada . :130:

its clear your loyal to one company and thats fine . but i am not . i want the best teams . bc derserves the best teams .. theres room for improvment and it should include all companies with a desire to put fires out :130:
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.helis.com/database/org/ca_coulson_aircrane_ltd/

some of waynes choppers :130:

A few of those are, some are written off, some sold, not sure what's in his fleet now
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.verticalmag.com/features/22429-s61-nighttime-aerial-firefighter-html/amp/

turns out waynes chopper are approved by transport canada already for night time fire fighting. and his sikorskie choppers are unmatched anywhere by any other manufacture . the sikorskies are top the line and very fast with extremly talented pilots :130:

S-61 ? It's also known as the Sea King, the newest one on the planet was built in 1980
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.verticalmag.com/features/22429-s61-nighttime-aerial-firefighter-html/amp/

turns out waynes chopper are approved by transport canada already for night time fire fighting. and his sikorskie choppers are unmatched anywhere by any other manufacture . the sikorskies are top the line and very fast with extremly talented pilots :130:

I read it as the cockpit conversion was approved, I see nothing about approval for flight operations with NVG's
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

mikest2 wrote:S-61 ? It's also known as the Sea King, the newest one on the planet was built in 1980

S-61 N model was comparable to the Sea King. The L model is longer buy about3 feet. Both are rated to lift about the same...10,000 pounds when logging.

maryjane48 wrote:the Sikorski's are top the line and very fast with extremely talented pilots

Not....they are very well maintained though. The men and women that engineer on these aircraft do a terrific job in keeping them flying. A logging helicopter can put upwards of 2000 hours on the airframe every year. About the most abuse you can throw at a helicopter. A small utility say B-206 perhaps 500 hours /year. They are not top of the line, they are 50 year old technology for the most part. If you saw a modern helicopter that was built the last few years, big difference in engine management systems, rotor head systems....dashboard displays. Very fast...not.. compared to modern helicopters anyway.
Saying all that, the S-61 is a terrific cost effective legacy aircraft for repetitive long line lifts and moving people. They were once popular with the off shore crowd but Sikorski's S 92 is now the aircraft of choice there. Canada is going to put those on the back of their navy ships sometime.
Pilots usually will have 2000 hours or more before they transition to the 61. Yes I have worked with many talented pilots in the past, some were great and some perhaps needed an attitude adjustment but all very skilled.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Didn't they "short-korsky" MAY and CLM? (or am I confusing that with the short-lived Hayes bros venture into heli-logging?)

I was standing on the hill April 93, near canoe creek, when WYN went down. Two of the best, worked with them under an old CAN-ARC machine. I've stayed out of the whole Coulson conversation this year. Stick a fork in the MARS - it just doesn't work with the institutionally hardened control objective that's taken forefront in todays wildfire world.

I'm not sure that Coulson is getting passed over, but it seems to me he's an innovator and just didn't fit the status quo commitment of the previous government.

Hopefully an "as and when" can be worked out.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jul 20th, 2017, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

maryjane48 wrote:lockhead martin doesnt make boeing 737 .

Really? You don't say? Where do you come up with this stuff? BTW, it's "Lockheed", not "Lockhead".

maryjane48 wrote:the c130 were outfitted at lockhead with bottom tanks . wayne has to install the bottoms himself because boeing doesnt want to preinstall .

Obviously you don't even read before responding. I clearly stated that a C-130 tanker conversion for COULSON was done right here in Kelowna earlier this year. The entire modification including the lower hopper and belly door installation was done here in Kelowna, not at Lockheed Martin. "Wayne" did NOT install "the bottoms" himself.

maryjane48 wrote:the c130 can go from packing drop matterial or people and equipment in a hour or less . :130:

Thanks tips. Having worked in, on and around C-130's as both ground crew and air crew for most of my military career and a good part of my civilian career I would never have known that.

maryjane48 wrote:and wayne has been certified fly night vision in canada since 2013 by transport canada . :130:

Then you wouldn't mind posting a link to the Transport Canada certification document to back that claim up I suppose now would you? Oh whats that, you can't find it? Wonder why that is?

maryjane48 wrote:its clear your loyal to one company and thats fine . but i am not . i want the best teams . bc derserves the best teams .. theres room for improvment and it should include all companies with a desire to put fires out :130:

What are you even talking about? What company am I supposedly loyal to over Coulson? I have absolutely nothing against Coulson and would like to see them getting more work in BC. It's you posting utter nonsense and presenting it as fact about an industry you clearly know nothing about that keeps me posting on here.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Someone is getting burned faster than a BC forest
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Drip_Torch wrote:Two of the best, worked with them under an old CAN-ARC machine.

Now there is a name I have not heard in a long time. Moe and Jim flying then ( not involved with the crash)? Last I talk to Gord C he was airport manager at Salmon arm.
Moe retired and Jim went onto Hayes I believe.
Coulson's JDR was a logging rocket from Okanagan Helicopter days..
Don't miss it one bit right now...
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

seewood wrote:
Drip_Torch wrote:Two of the best, worked with them under an old CAN-ARC machine.

Now there is a name I have not heard in a long time. Moe and Jim flying then ( not involved with the crash)? Last I talk to Gord C he was airport manager at Salmon arm.
Moe retired and Jim went onto Hayes I believe.
Coulson's JDR was a logging rocket from Okanagan Helicopter days..
Don't miss it one bit right now...

I remember working with their 214 numerous times, don't remember a 61 though.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

mikest2 wrote:I remember working with their 214 numerous times, don't remember a 61 though.

214 logging - good sport. Didn't end well for Can Arc, a bad gear box at the 1000 hour, I seem to recall. Followed by a period of working for the Royal Bank of Canada, and racing the other crew to the bank.

seewood wrote:Moe and Jim flying then ( not involved with the crash)? Last I talk to Gord C he was airport manager at Salmon arm. Moe retired and Jim went onto Hayes I believe.

Wow! I think Moe and Jim appear in one of my favourite crew photos from Spuzzum - are you in that one too? Gord, (lol) well that answers that question. Damn, I wish he had worked harder at talking me into buying his house, but 232 (or whatever) seemed so far out of town at the time. - and nope, neither Moe nor Jim were involved.

seewood wrote:Coulson's JDR was a logging rocket from Okanagan Helicopter days..

I still have my FMAY pin from some record breaking week we had in mccurdy creek... and nope, I don't miss it either.

:130:

Edit to Add: Hayes (urgh, and that was the end of that for me.) Go over to help out the local boys (PCB) get a show going, and I end up under a silly bros S-64, in a Hayes corporate-cluster-thingy.)
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Hey I've got an idea... let's play a round of Can Arc trivia.

splash-from-the-past.jpg

Who can correctly identify the crop associated with this picture?

[icon_lol2.gif]
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Drip_Torch wrote:Who can correctly identify the crop associated with this picture?

Getting off topic here ( guilty as charged) That looks like Gord wrestling with a "pranged" jet danger.
I have a few similar pics with Frontier's 205's.

On topic again. I still think Coulson might be wanting more than standard rates.
Regarding NVG and fighting fires....I really don't know how that would work. Yes many helicopters are suited to night flying, Heli Jet for example, but correct me if I'm wrong as I've never used the things but I believe they amplify the ambient light available from the moon, stars etc. and give the operator and idea as to what they are looking at through a green shade.
Now take that amplification and look at a tree candling and I suspect the pilot wearing those things might not be speaking the queen's English. I understand pilots in the US are starting to use NVG in a medi-vac role.
Coulson has heli logged at night before, but with light towers around the block. gotta get those hours.....
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

seewood wrote:correct me if I'm wrong as I've never used the things but I believe they amplify the ambient light available from the moon, stars etc. and give the operator and idea as to what they are looking at through a green shade.
Now take that amplification and look at a tree candling and I suspect the pilot wearing those things might not be speaking the queen's English.

Older versions of NVG's (80's and early 90's) would be like that but current generation NVG's are very impressive. They amplify ambient light very well but can also handle bright light just fine. Years ago when I was in the Army we were conducting NVG training and I was observing a group of guys about 150 meters away when one of them light a cigarette and the lighter essentially washed out the entire NVG field of view. By comparison I have driven a vehicle using current generation NVG's and, while I could see plain as day (albeit in a green hue) in pitch black darkness, oncoming headlights were no problem at all.

Return to “B.C.”