Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Home of the traffic rant.
seewood
Guru

Re: Really?..How fast is fast enough drivers?

Post by seewood »

Glacier wrote:The speed limit should be set at the 85th percentile on Glenmore. If the speed limit is 50 or 60, and everyone is going 80, you are a danger to the road if you're going 60. Raising speed limits reduces accident rates (despite what the #fakenews media would have you believe).

That would be nice, however there are soooo many seniors that drive the posted limit or less because of confidence or whatever and some can boot along quite nicely and comfortably 10+ k over the limit. No place to pass, white knuckle frustration. Happens daily during the summer wine tasting months/hours on Naramata road. A combination of courtesy in pulling over ( rarely happens) or some passing lanes. ( that has another problem though.)
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

My view is that modern cars should equipped with sensors that make your car make annoying beeping and flashing if you have more than 4 cars behind you for 1 minute on single lane roads, and the only way to stop it is to pull over and let them pass.
Last edited by Glacier on Jul 19th, 2017, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Once they prefect the autonomous vehicles, wonder what people will be bit :cuss: ing about then.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I was in a hurry and speeding the other day, just under 90 in a 70, Winfield, by the Husky.

I was markedly slower than ANYONE, I was being tailgated and being passed, not just
by people going a little quicker, but blowing by at Coquahalla type speeds.
I never gained on a single vehicle, but, I like my vehicle and my licence so even if
"I" was the hazard at that point, being in the minority speed-wise.
I wasn't going to go any faster.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

GordonH wrote:Once they prefect the autonomous vehicles, wonder what people will be bit :cuss: ing about then.

Progress, technology and the fact that idiots aren't capable of operating an automobile by themselves.

Race to the bottom/lowest common denominator.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

dirtybiker wrote:I was in a hurry and speeding the other day, just under 90 in a 70, Winfield, by the Husky.

I was markedly slower than ANYONE, I was being tailgated and being passed, not just
I never gained on a single vehicle, but, I like my vehicle and my licence so even if

You're in good company. 80-90 is generally my driving speed on that stretch of road between Oceola and Lodge. I don't even realize I'm speeding because 90 seems to be the flow of traffic. It should NOT be though.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

^^^ There's no reason that stretch shouldn't be 90kmh
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Dizzy1 wrote:^^^ There's no reason that stretch shouldn't be 90kmh

No reason? How about the driveways up the bank? Not many, but they exist. Same with the entrance/exit to the Husky. Or Lodge road turn off. These are places where cars will suddenly be stopped or moving at a crawl. Besides, can we agree that 50 km/h is appropriate once you get to the DQ headed south? I don't see a lot of speed limits go from 90 down to 50. Generally it goes to 70 for a bit first.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Dizzy1 wrote:^^^ There's no reason that stretch shouldn't be 90kmh

No reason? How about the driveways up the bank? Not many, but they exist. Same with the entrance/exit to the Husky. Or Lodge road turn off. These are places where cars will suddenly be stopped or moving at a crawl. Besides, can we agree that 50 km/h is appropriate once you get to the DQ headed south? I don't see a lot of speed limits go from 90 down to 50. Generally it goes to 70 for a bit first.

Oh. All 3 driveways? Better lower the speedlimit to 50 for those 3 driveways on 97 across from Duck Lake.

50 is fine for "in town". You want 70 before 50 - place the speed reduction just before the 50 zone like they do almost anywhere else such as half way between Berry and Lodge Rds.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Dizzy1 wrote:Oh. All 3 driveways? Better lower the speedlimit to 50 for those 3 driveways on 97 across from Duck Lake.

50 is fine for "in town". You want 70 before 50 - place the speed reduction just before the 50 zone like they do almost anywhere else such as half way between Berry and Lodge Rds.

I see your point. I'd be ok with it staying 90 after the Oceola lights, but once you start getting near the Husky, I think it should go down to 70. Then 50 by Lodge.

Really, for me, it's the Husky on the corner that has the potential for a problem. People leaving the gas station may easily misjudge the oncoming traffic speed and pull out at an unsafe time. If they do it when cars are going 70, it'll give both parties a better chance to survive if there is an impact.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Dizzy1 wrote:Oh. All 3 driveways? Better lower the speedlimit to 50 for those 3 driveways on 97 across from Duck Lake.

I see your point. I'd be ok with it staying 90 after the Oceola lights, but once you start getting near the Husky, I think it should go down to 70. Then 50 by Lodge.

Really, for me, it's the Husky on the corner that has the potential for a problem. People leaving the gas station may easily misjudge the oncoming traffic speed and pull out at an unsafe time. If they do it when cars are going 70, it'll give both parties a better chance to survive if there is an impact.

Simple: Close the gas station exit to the highway and make it entrance only. Too many cowboys coming out of there causing chaos.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

dirtybiker wrote:I was in a hurry and speeding the other day, just under 90 in a 70, Winfield, by the Husky.

I drive that every day and you weren't speeding and your point is right on!!
spooker

Post by spooker »

From a recently published study by the NTSB ... https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-studies/Documents/SS1701.pdf (just picked some of the more interesting points)

Findings:
Speed increases the likelihood of serious and fatal crash involvement, although the exact
relationship is complex due to many factors.

Unintended consequences of the reliance on using the 85th percentile speed for changing
speed limits in speed zones include higher operating speeds and new, higher 85th percentile
speeds in the speed zones, and an increase in operating speeds outside the speed zones.

The safe system approach to setting speed limits in urban areas is an improvement over
conventional approaches because it considers the vulnerability of all road users.

Automated speed enforcement is an effective countermeasure to reduce speeding-related
crashes, fatalities, and injuries.

Recommendations:
Collaborate with other traffic safety stakeholders to develop and implement an
ongoing program to increase public awareness of speeding as a national traffic
safety issue. The program should include, but not be limited to, initiating an annual
enforcement mobilization directed at speeding drivers. (H-17-25)

... remove the guidance that speed limits in speed zones should be within 5 mph of the
85th percentile speed.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”