Photos.Lowest cost and simplest solution for no-tech senior?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Photos.Lowest cost and simplest solution for no-tech senior?

Post by bazinga42 »

My father-in-law came to me with a deceptively simple question that has stumped me.

He has two cameras with SD cards, but he has no computer whatsoever. He wants to view the photos on a larger screen than the camera's tiny LCD. He wants to delete unwanted photos and arrange photos into folders. Finally, he wants to store photos somewhere other than his camera (ie. doesn't want to lose them).

Important: He has no internet nor does he have the ability to get it. He's *way* out in the middle of nowhere. He doesn't have power either other than a generator, so something battery or very low power would be required.

A laptop seems overkill. I was wondering if there was a mini-pc solution? I have very limited experience with things like Raspberry Pi, Arduino, etc so I don't know if they'd be suitable. I'm surprised / disappointed in my self that I haven't been able to Google the answer to this :)

Suggestions?
george~

Re: Photos.Lowest cost and simplest solution for no-tech sen

Post by george~ »

Try googling FlashTrax by SmartDisk.

They said this on some website.

"I purchased the FlashTrax by SmartDisk. It is a 20GB hard drive with a 3 1/2" screen. It has a nice zoom feature. The whole thing will fit in your pocket. It accepts compact flash cards.

I used this when I had to travel acrross the country and take wedding photos. I reviewed all 240 photos with the bride and groom after the wedding. They thought it was great.

It does not display RAW files well. I shot both RAW and jpg so we could look at the jpg images.

When I got home I just connected it to my computer and downloaded all the images to my computer."
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Bazinga 42? I feel old all of a sudden at 44. :)
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I'm out to lunch too with these new fangled gadgets.

No sarcasm :)
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

That flashtrax thing looks suitable, if it weren't 13 yr old tech that's no longer available.

Right idea... If only
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The more I look it seems the best solution at the moment is a cheap laptop and at least 2 portable HD's for back up if he is worried about losing them at all.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Many cameras come with video output that you can use to connect to a TV.

Also - many smart TVs are now coming with SD card readers. But if buying a $600 computer is overkill, buying a smart TV may be as well.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

How about a $148 10" Android with 32Gb ram, 6.0 Lolipop, detachable keyboard, microSd, Usb port, HDMI port etc...
On sale right now at WallyWorld.
Bought one for travel. Did not want to bring my more expensive equipment in case of theft. Got it at Black Friday sale for $108. Battery lasts a long time. Use a cordless usb mouse sometimes and works great. It's like a touchscreen laptop with detachable keyboard but it is definitely a cheaper feel. But the quad core processor and the 10" screen makes it good for travel and I have used it many times. You can plug in a USB flash drive and view all photos and videos.
I especially like the fact the keyboard acts like a case and protects the screen from scratches when jammed in my carry on bag.

It's a RCA Viking Pro 10 btw
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

32gb is nowhere near enough, and microSD isn't SD.

I guess a SD USB adaptor would work? Can a portable HDD be plugged in for storage? I didn't think Android supported non-SD storage.

Thanks for the suggestion.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I have a 64gb microSd card plugged in and have used a 64Gb USB flash drive in the USB port. I have not tried anything bigger or a usb portable hard drive. I have transferred files from the built in 32Gb to the microSd or the usb flash drive. No problems moving them around and deleting or adding files.
I will try and give it a shot in the next day or 2 as well as a flash card reader. Kind of interested now if I can transfer my full size SD card using my cheap $5 card reader I have. Also never thought of straight transfer to a portable drive.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

How about a $200 Chromebook for viewing and an $80 1TB WD Passport 2 1/2" hard drive for storage?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

So I tried using 2 different portable drives and neither worked. Not sure if it's because they are over 1 TB or if it's a USB 3.0 issue. Most of the time I either transfer using wifi or a usb flash drive so my suggestion may not be the best fit for your needs. I do like the Chromebook suggestion but I know very little about them. Good luck.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”