Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Alexa1994

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by Alexa1994 »

I have recently finished, Brain Tracy's book "Eat that Frog." In that book, you will get practical yet effective time management techniques and goal tracking skills. I would recommend that book to everyone especially students.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Son: A Psychopath and his Victims by Jack Olsen Wow. This is about Spokane's South Hill rapist. I remember when this was going on and how strange the rapist and his family were, but I'd forgotten some of it. This is a great book if you like true crime reads! :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

*augh* I don't know how you can read that stuff, ferri!

As a matter of fact, this week is so stressful with scheduling and hosting and Grad and all, that I'm resorting to well-loved books to get me through it.
I haven't failed until I quit.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

[icon_lol2.gif] I love true crime books. I want to peek into their twisted little minds. :D
― Albert Einstein
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K wrote:
The second is by J.K. Rowling, A Casual Vacancy. The adult version of England in today's World. Nothing Potter in that one.

Which book should I finish first?

:200: Didn't end as I hoped it would. Not at all. Nope. But J.K. Rowling has proven why she is a writer and a billionaire.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Okay, here's something. Do you have a kindle account with Amazon? If you don't, make one. It will have to be .ca if you're in Canada, .com if you're in the US.

Go to search the books in your preferred genre. Now, change the sort method to "lowest price to highest".

Amazon REGULARLY has a pile of ebooks for free! Yes, you heard me - for free! It says $0.00, and you "buy" the book and it shows up on your account. Don't have a kindle? I don't! You can read it online on your computer!

I have burned through about 8 books this weekend. Some good, some *meh*.

Have fun! :biggrin:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Nicolas_St

Post by Nicolas_St »

I am reading a book avout Steve Jobs. Interesting, uneasy life, great person. Didn't know Jobs was adopted. Maybe this influenced his success as well.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I just finished Hide and Seek by Jack Ketchum :crazy:
― Albert Einstein
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Last few months I have been ODing on Swedish and Scottish crime fiction.
Reading Camilla Lackberg, Kristina Ohlsson and Stuart MacBride.
And a series set in Canada by Robert Rottenberg.
Also legal thrillers by John Grisham and a most unthinkable legal tale by William L. Myers called "A Criminal Defense".
Okanagan Regional Library and ebook circulation has been greatly enhanced by my efforts!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I read hide and seek as well. Not sure how much I liked it. I liked the main characters and the setting. Some of it was a bit far reached. I don't remember ever being with a couple of girls where they removed their garments so freely, but not for lack of trying.

I would love it though if there were a house here like the one in the book. I remember a few from back in the day and they be fun. We used to regularly scare the bejabbers out of each other.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

mexi cali wrote:I read hide and seek as well. Not sure how much I liked it. I liked the main characters and the setting. Some of it was a bit far reached. I don't remember ever being with a couple of girls where they removed their garments so freely, but not for lack of trying.

I would love it though if there were a house here like the one in the book. I remember a few from back in the day and they be fun. We used to regularly scare the bejabbers out of each other.

[icon_lol2.gif] You know, I thought the same thing about those females. Especially when they were throwing their clothes out of moving vehicles.
― Albert Einstein
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Can anyone recommend any great crime or suspense novelists? Maybe even some thriller types

Some of my favorite authors for style reference:

Lee Child
James Patterson
James Grippando
Steven King
Harlen Coben
F. Paul Wilson
Dean Koontz
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Sarah Waters, all of them.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

ferri wrote:[icon_lol2.gif] I love true crime books. I want to peek into their twisted little minds. :D

Yes, me too -- I've read many of them over the years. With OJ recently back in the news, I was reminded of "Outrage" ...

https://www.amazon.ca/Outrage-Five-Reasons-Simpson-Murder/dp/0393330834

... by Vincent Bugliosi, the prosecutor who put Charles Manson behind bars for life. 'Outrage' was the definitive book about the whole OJ Simpson fiasco. You can sense that Bugliosi was furious when he wrote parts of it. And if there was any doubt in your mind, as to whether OJ might actually be actually innocent, by the end of this book, you're 100% convinced of his guilt and the scope of the travesty of justice that occurred at his trial.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

fvkasm2x wrote:Can anyone recommend any great crime or suspense novelists? Maybe even some thriller types

Some of my favorite authors for style reference:

Lee Child
James Patterson
James Grippando
Steven King
Harlen Coben
F. Paul Wilson
Dean Koontz

Christopher Smith http://christophersmithbooks.com/
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”