Polygamy Charge (single count?)

Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Polygamy Charge (single count?)

Post by Jflem1983 »

How is this guy not in jail already
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

This case plus all the sharia law nonsense . Goes a long way to suggest to me we need to further restrict religious freedom . Maybe not all ideas about God are good ideas .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GO4it

Post by GO4it »

Unfortunately there are are many people / judges / organizations / groups who do not recognize pedophilia for what it is. There seems to be a cut off age of 15 or 16. But come on do 15 or 16 year olds who have never have had a chance to experience life really ready to "marry"?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

GO4it wrote:Unfortunately there are are many people / judges / organizations / groups who do not recognize pedophilia for what it is. There seems to be a cut off age of 15 or 16. But come on do 15 or 16 year olds who have never have had a chance to experience life really ready to "marry"?

In western Canada 14 was the legal age to marry . I believe it has changed in some provinces . The age is young because 100 years ago there were no women out west. So men would send for young girls to be there wives . The government has or had been slow to adjust the laws to modern reality. As such we had sex tourists coming here to bed children . The exploitation of youth is disturbing. Why is it so hard for the feds to break up groups like this

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#202638

Imagine this coming at you at fifteen years old.
Until you "age out" and he needs another "celestial wife."

Disgusting.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Can't we just make this the law already it works better than old men raping young girls and giving god the credit.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... p-rule.svg
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

In my world, this child molester would have been shot dead long ago.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Veovis wrote:Can't we just make this the law already it works better than old men raping young girls and giving god the credit.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... p-rule.svg

So, you are suggesting that it should be illegal for a 50 year old woman to have a sexual relationship with a 31 year old man?
How about we attempt to enforce the existing law, under which it is illegal for these men to have sex with a girl under 18, since they are in a position of power.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

neilsimon wrote:So, you are suggesting that it should be illegal for a 50 year old woman to have a sexual relationship with a 31 year old man?
How about we attempt to enforce the existing law, under which it is illegal for these men to have sex with a girl under 18, since they are in a position of power.

SO you are suggesting that a 32 year old woman is too old for a 50 year old man then. How very horrid and sexist of you.

How about you enforce some open mindedness for yourself then.

See....it's so easy to just twist for your own self righteous anger isn't it. How silly.

If people can't sensibly drive, we created speed limits, if people can't sensibly date perhaps the same needs to occur. Stupid? Certainly, but until we have courts, or people that aren't garbage perhaps that's what sadly is needed.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Fixing the issues in this community is going to be far more complicated than even convicting a few members for whatever charge they can under the law.

What isn't comfortable is discussing that many female members of this church community do not feel oppressed and victimized. They are raised to consider marrying a church "elder" as a privilege and take great pride in being chosen. Plus it wasn't that long ago (as Jlem mentioned) that we married in our teens too, so we have to watch our indignant opinions sometimes. Children in many countries have babies, raise families and get married without incident.

The problem is that the community has been allowed to be so closed off that the people and especially the children are not exposed to any other way of life, this is normal for them. And we have to be prepared that the more we pressure them, the more they will close-ranks and they will move en-masse to Mexico (they've already done so in other FLDS communities).

What I believe "should" happen more than the legal nonsense which will change nothing is that the law should compel them to teach the BC Curriculum and make it mandatory that they attend until age 16 minimum (and not just the boys). The local school should be taught by someone who will respect their beliefs and culture and be sensitive but firm in regards to the social studies aspects whereby the kids are challenged to think beyond their community's borders. This community has longed ignored our education act. What we need to do is legally compel them to stay in school and have outside influence at least in the form of education. This will require "the law" to actively go to homes and knock on doors and ask them why their kids aren't in school and start putting punishments in place for not educating.

It's too hard to create a victim out of people who don't feel that they are victims. If you introduce an alternative way of life, the best we can hope for is that the community itself will self-change. We need support services in Creston to service the people who wish to leave, but literally have no resources to do so. We need to set up a network of safe-homes the children can run to if they so desire, and a battery of legal services and social-services to put them in other communities away from the FLDS.

And finally, we should be very careful not to marginalize the adults in this community who make choices we don't agree with. If we treat them with constant scorn and derision, they will act appropriately.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Veovis wrote:
neilsimon wrote:So, you are suggesting that it should be illegal for a 50 year old woman to have a sexual relationship with a 31 year old man?

SO you are suggesting that a 32 year old woman is too old for a 50 year old man then. How very horrid and sexist of you.

No, you openly advocated for the rule of "half your age plus 7" to be law, thus making it illegal for a 50 year old woman to have a sexual relationship with a 31 year old man.
I said nothing about "a 32 year old woman is too old for a 50 year old man" at all. You are making up a strawman argument. I do think that people of age, as adults, should be allowed to make their own decisions about their own lives where it injures nobody else. If an 18 year old wants to be with a 24 year old, so be it, it certainly shouldn't be against the law (assuming no undue pressure, etc.).
How about you enforce some open mindedness for yourself then.

See....it's so easy to just twist for your own self righteous anger isn't it. How silly.

If people can't sensibly drive, we created speed limits, if people can't sensibly date perhaps the same needs to occur. Stupid? Certainly, but until we have courts, or people that aren't garbage perhaps that's what sadly is needed.

Sorry, but this makes no sense to me whatsoever. I'm not even entirely sure I understand it, but if I do, it's completely absurd and regressive.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

The first suggestion other than raping little girls and you got right uppity and were rather offensive in your reply. Which was odd since you seem like you don't agree with molesting kids, but dislike change that makes it not allowed as you found 32 year old women too old.

Seems odd you say you are against something but desire it to be allowed.

And what I advocated should you stop yelling at your computer and read was an age difference that is reasonable and made up as a scheme for people dating throughout ages. It's actually a pretty good one, and humorous when examined.

Instead you felt the need to rant and rave.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Veovis wrote:The first suggestion other than raping little girls and you got right uppity and were rather offensive in your reply. Which was odd since you seem like you don't agree with molesting kids, but dislike change that makes it not allowed as you found 32 year old women too old.

Firstly, I'm a few years off 32 being half my age plus 7. Second of all, I dislike changes which unnecessarily interfere with adults making their own decisions, no matter how distasteful the rest of us may find them.
Seems odd you say you are against something but desire it to be allowed.

And what I advocated should you stop yelling at your computer and read was an age difference that is reasonable and made up as a scheme for people dating throughout ages. It's actually a pretty good one, and humorous when examined.

Sorry, I thought you were being serious when you suggested making it law. It seems an odd thing to joke about in relation to the issue with polygamy and paedophilia. If you had just responded that you weren't being serious, I would have happily taken it as it was meant.
Instead you felt the need to rant and rave.

No, I felt the need to dismiss something absurd and looking distinctly like a knee-jerk reaction. There will be many around these kinds of issues and most of them would have no beneficial result. The sexual predators involved in this case are not too concerned about the law, so any changes in law will have to target what makes it possible for them to get away with what they were doing for so long and not just the behaviour of the men themselves.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

IN reality though, half your age plus 7 isn't a truly bad calculation for people to date by any means. 70 year old men don't need to date 20 year olds or vice versa, none the less, it seems stupid to regulate dating ages, yet we already do, and people are far too often showing that they cannot do so responsibly.

People don't dive responsibly, we regulate it, people don't drink and drive responsibly we regulate it, courts allow predators off the hook from irresponsibly preying on little kids (16 is little to a 60 year old lets be real).......we don't regulate it.

Trust me I despise the fact it might need to be regulated, it's a gross concept, but yet, look at what is being defended, and often allowed under other BS claims.

I hate the entire "government needs to tell people how to not be piles of crap" laws that we already have, but it's make some stupid law, or let people off the hook when we use Carrs Landing solution (one I am not overly against....just be right)
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Fixing the issues in this community is going to be far more complicated than even convicting a few members for whatever charge they can under the law.

What isn't comfortable is discussing that many female members of this church community do not feel oppressed and victimized. They are raised to consider marrying a church "elder" as a privilege and take great pride in being chosen. Plus it wasn't that long ago (as Jlem mentioned) that we married in our teens too, so we have to watch our indignant opinions sometimes. Children in many countries have babies, raise families and get married without incident.

The problem is that the community has been allowed to be so closed off that the people and especially the children are not exposed to any other way of life, this is normal for them. And we have to be prepared that the more we pressure them, the more they will close-ranks and they will move en-masse to Mexico (they've already done so in other FLDS communities).

What I believe "should" happen more than the legal nonsense which will change nothing is that the law should compel them to teach the BC Curriculum and make it mandatory that they attend until age 16 minimum (and not just the boys). The local school should be taught by someone who will respect their beliefs and culture and be sensitive but firm in regards to the social studies aspects whereby the kids are challenged to think beyond their community's borders. This community has longed ignored our education act. What we need to do is legally compel them to stay in school and have outside influence at least in the form of education. This will require "the law" to actively go to homes and knock on doors and ask them why their kids aren't in school and start putting punishments in place for not educating.

It's too hard to create a victim out of people who don't feel that they are victims. If you introduce an alternative way of life, the best we can hope for is that the community itself will self-change. We need support services in Creston to service the people who wish to leave, but literally have no resources to do so. We need to set up a network of safe-homes the children can run to if they so desire, and a battery of legal services and social-services to put them in other communities away from the FLDS.

And finally, we should be very careful not to marginalize the adults in this community who make choices we don't agree with. If we treat them with constant scorn and derision, they will act appropriately.

It's Lethbridge as well . That whole hwy 3 area . Old whiskey running territory . It's all bat poop crazy religious nuts now .

About 13 years ago I was on a road crew at Lethbridge. Every fifth car had 4 men all suits and ties . It was one of the creepier towns to work in . Felt safe just weird .

Return to “B.C.”