Track day at Area27 (With video!)

GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Track day at Area27 (With video!)

Post by GoStumpy »

So I attended a track day hosted by August Motors. I knew I would be completely outclassed before going, telling everyone that I guarantee I will be the slowest car there.

And as far as outright vehicle ability I doubt I was far off... I got lined up behind a 2017 WRX STI, 2016 Panamera Turbo S, 2017 BMW M4 GTS, behind me was a Mk2 Jetta 1.8T, Audi TTRS, Roushe Mustang, 2017 Miata, another WRX STI, Merc SL500, etc...

I drove my little 1985 Camaro Z28 with a carb'd 350 with clapped out suspension and stock horrible brakes to the limits, and I surprised not just myself but quite a few of those faster cars The Panamera actually waved me past at one point, and except for one (the 2017 Miata) not a single car caught up to me during the 5 lap sessions... it was me behind the pace car, or me behind that Miata... basically had the track to myself!! The only things going wrong for me was the lack of brakes, I had barely any brakes to start with they just suck... then fade made it worse... and the carb was starving for fuel in hard cornering, which is almost every corner, so I wasn't able to rotate the car with the throttle like I wanted, I had to yaw at the steering wheel a bit to get the understeer to stop.

Brake dust after only 8 laps:

The experience was just awesome. 5 sessions with ~5-6 laps each, which honestly doesn't sound like much until you have brakes as bad as mine, and I had almost no brakes for the last 3 sessions of the day...

Apologies for the shaky video, apparently a GPS mount doesn't quite have the stability needed to record smooth video.. if it's too shaky I'm sorry!
Video of a 12 minute complete session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFvWH91Vds

Shorter video of me following the pace car (RX8 with sticky tires and suspension/brake work)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef2hs4GfE9k

At the end of the day, somehow my old and tired Camaro being driven to pretty much max potential held off a ~230hp+ 1.8T Mk2 Jetta and a myriad of other cars at least over the course of ~5 laps at a time
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
seewood
Guru

Re: Track day at Area27 (With video!)

Post by seewood »

What a gas. Lucky fellow. Was this by invitation or can one contact, pay a fee, sign a waiver, put a lid on and have a go?
These track days are very popular on some of the tracks back east.
Did you have a driver next to you handing out tips or just have to stay behind the pace car?

On the way to work I see no end of exotic cars heading south in the morning and I pass them again as I'm heading south from Summerland and they are heading home. Wonder how many are NHL hockey players with their toys to play on area 27?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Ha, I saw you there, good run.

Still scared of putting the gt350 on the track, kind of a major bill if she gets smashed up. Props man.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I want to drive that

Nice work LeadingEdge. :up: Looks like fun.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Apex250

Post by Apex250 »

Nice, was the video part of the package? The speed and location info really adds to the experience.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I downloaded an app before I went and mounted my iphone on the windshield, tis why it's a bit shaky. Worked great though, I can't stop watching myself ;)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i would love to take my brothers late model there lol 600 hp of v8 thunder :130:

Return to “South Okanagan”