Mobility spot etiquette

Home of the traffic rant.
jimmy4321
Guru

Mobility spot etiquette

Post by jimmy4321 »

Curious
I watched someone park in a mobility or handicap spot , they had that card they hung up - all completely legit.
They didn't need the extra space such a spot gives you, and marched into the store. I'm not questioning their need for it as there's any number of reasons that aren't always apparent.
My question is that the spot right next to it was vacant. Now if it were me, i'd take the smaller spot next to the official mobility spot to keep that mobility spot reserved for those with bigger issues than me.
Considering the aged population in the Okanagan there probably isn't enough of these spots anyway.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Mobility spot etiquette

Post by Grandan »

jimmy4321 wrote:Curious
I watched someone park in a mobility or handicap spot , they had that card they hung up - all completely legit.
They didn't need the extra space such a spot gives you, and marched into the store. I'm not questioning their need for it as there's any number of reasons that aren't always apparent.
My question is that the spot right next to it was vacant. Now if it were me, i'd take the smaller spot next to the official mobility spot to keep that mobility spot reserved for those with bigger issues than me.
Considering the aged population in the Okanagan there probably isn't enough of these spots anyway.

What you witnessed was just another example of me first because I am special. It would seem that these handicap stickers are being abused by many people. I have seen able bodied people hogging the handicap parking spaces.
Who wouldn't like to use an extra wide space close to the front door with impunity?
Waste not
spooker

Post by spooker »

People don't take the time to think things through ... as Grandan said, it's all about "me"

When my mother-in-law visits she brings her placard and it stays in the car even if she's not riding with me all the time ... I'll admit to being tempted to use it when I feel hurried and I won't be there long ... but thankfully I've been able to exercise some self-control ...

What about a technology that will automatically call a tow-truck and disable your car if you park in a handicap spot and don't have the correct transponder installed? Take that you impatient entitled driver! :biggrin:
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Except the person did have the proper card....no reason to disable the car or tow it.
Disabilities can have many facets that may not be obvious. If they have the card it is valid and not for a casual observer to call them out on it.
The OP's question about them parking in the adjacent spot is a valid one though, as it would free up the handicapped spot.
You and 71 others Like this post
spooker

Post by spooker »

LANDM wrote:Except the person did have the proper card....no reason to disable the car or tow it.
Disabilities can have many facets that may not be obvious. If they have the card it is valid and not for a casual observer to call them out on it.
The OP's question about them parking in the adjacent spot is a valid one though, as it would free up the handicapped spot.

Since he had the correct placard then he would've probably had the transponder I mentioned in my solution ... I was generalizing a bit for the numerous times we've all seen someone stop in a handicap spot for that "really quick stop"

And I agree with you about the adjacent spot from OP ...
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

This isn't about questioning why they have a placard as mentioned a few times, not all conditions that would allow you to have one is apparent.
To add to my original post concern
I often see people making several rounds around parking lots looking to park in these spots when none are available. Yet some who don't necessarily need the "extra wide" space but take it anyway cause they have a placard but mostly need close proximity.
For example in Walmarts and similar stores, next spots up is say expecting mothers or something like that, why not drop those spots and change them to handicap spots? I'm certain there's more than a few expecting mothers or whatever in Walmart etc.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Rarely do I see all of the mobility spots used. Often they are the only spots left in a lot. I could argue that etiquette should include using the spot when entitled rather than taking a prime spot away from someone who can't park in the mobility spot.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I've seen a certain realtor . With his fancy European pans roadster . Park in handicap spot at mission 7-11 . I mean mugged the little puke the whole time he was in line for his smokes . He's got a funny name . Sells mansions . Takes park I g spots that are not for him . Cause you know life didn't give him enough
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

My BFF has a mobility tag, looking at her you wouldn't know there is a problem. She will park in a non handicap if there is something available and close to the store. But when she does park in one of the spots, the looks she gets are unreal, people need to realize that not all disabilities are visable.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I don't have ones of these tags but could probably get one. You would look a me and have no idea the physical pain I am in. Getting out of a seated position is difficult with stiffness and pain in my lower black, knees, hips just to name a few. Once standing I walk fine...but being to open my door as wide as it can go and plenty of space to get myself to standing is important. Unless you are in that persons shoes you really don't know whether or not the wider spaces was important for a successful exit from the vehicle.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped

Those who don't have either rearview mirror card or licence plate indicating Disabled, should not be parking in those spots.

Anyone who does park in those locations that is not disabled, is impo lazy f :cuss: ing as :cuss: holes. They should have their vehicle towed away at their expense... no ifs... buts or maybes about it.

Just stop being lazy as :cuss: holes
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

WeatherWoman wrote:I don't have ones of these tags but could probably get one. You would look a me and have no idea the physical pain I am in. Getting out of a seated position is difficult with stiffness and pain in my lower black, knees, hips just to name a few. Once standing I walk fine...but being to open my door as wide as it can go and plenty of space to get myself to standing is important. Unless you are in that persons shoes you really don't know whether or not the wider spaces was important for a successful exit from the vehicle.

The medical standards required to obtain a handicapped placard are very low, (I have had to get one for each of my parents), so I know.
You will certainly qualify. You may have one and be rightfully allowed to use it, doesn't mean that you have to. It's your choice.
You have my sincerest sympathies. I feel for you.
Bring back the LIKE button.
GracieD

Post by GracieD »

I agree I have seen many without placards park on an angle and take up 2 slots. I have Fibromyalgia, bad back (surgery on it years ago) and a breathing problem. On good days I won't take a placard spot, bad days I do. I have seen people look at me like what the hell she is fine when I get out and walk away. It makes me want to feign a bad limp or something. As the one poster said you can't always see the disability. I too have an issue getting out of my older SUV and am stiff until I move a bit. When I got mine, it wasn't an easy thing to get but I know someone that didn't need 3 pages filled out to get it, one page and a doc signature. I would like to see plates for vehicles with the Wheelchair sign on them, that would take care of all the cards. Then you have to pay for the plate which would cost more and those that really didn't need it wouldn't want to fork out the dough for the plate. The card is only 20 bucks for 3 years. Maybe a plate fee for 5 years. I know a few people that have cards that have expired which isn't fair to those of us who paid. Yes I told them off.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

I saw parking tickets placed on 2 vehicles with the disability placards, side-by-side in disability spots.
I questioned the ticket guy thinking he was really nasty and he said the placards had expired.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Bumped

Those who don't have either rearview mirror card or licence plate indicating Disabled, should not be parking in those spots.

Anyone who does park in those locations that is not disabled, is impo lazy f :cuss: ing as :cuss: holes. They should have their vehicle towed away at their expense... no ifs... buts or maybes about it.

Just stop being lazy as :cuss: holes

To all who do use disable parking stalls that have no business doing so reread last line in the quote in this post

Overall there really isn't that many disable parking spots, leave them for those who they are set a side for.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... de-to-boot
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”