Disappointing Dinner out with friends.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Disappointing Dinner out with friends.

Post by Bsuds »

So we went to a local Pub for dinner with another couple last night and it was way overpriced for what you got.
The portions were large but I just think if you are going to charge $14 for a burger then you should put "real" meat in it.
Too much filler and the burger was borderline pasty if you know what I mean.

I hate to say it but A&W makes a better burger for half the price.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Disappointing Dinner out with friends.

Post by TylerM4 »

Sorry for the bad experience. Pubs are one of those places that I find are really hit and miss.

With burgers - some pubs you can tell buy the cheapest frozen burger patties they can in bulk. Others make their own in-house. You can tell who runs a kitchen - a real chef or an owner/accountant. $1 more per burger would make a big difference in quality without making a big difference in the final price.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

What is disappointing too is the fact that someone say's lets go here the food is awesome! lol

I would hate to eat at their house! :200:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Maybe couple times a month I will go out for breakfast at a little ma & pa place in Kelowna, half the price (if not more) of any of chain breakfast restaurants. Food is impo better
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Caberry98

Post by Caberry98 »

I would like to taste that food if it is cheaper and tasteful.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We are finding it increasingly difficult to go out and enjoy the experience.

And to boot, we looked up a restaurant on the 'net, said, "Open Sunday: 4-8 pm."
Got there at 6 pm, set for Vietnamese food and there's a note taped to the door, "Sorry, Closed Sundays Since June."

We picked up Chinese food at the Wok Inn on Glenmore.

$53 got us two meals and a lunch for two.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:We picked up Chinese food at the Wok Inn on Glenmore.

$53 got us two meals and a lunch for two.

YaButt you will be hungry in an hour.... :biggrin:
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Bsuds wrote:So we went to a local Pub for dinner with another couple last night and it was way overpriced for what you got.
The portions were large but I just think if you are going to charge $14 for a burger then you should put "real" meat in it.
Too much filler and the burger was borderline pasty if you know what I mean.

I hate to say it but A&W makes a better burger for half the price.

What I have noticed is that when the tourist season starts here in Kelowna..........restaurant food quality and service drop. Its like some restaurants order lower quality product for 2 plus months to MAXIMIZE PROFITS. I have heard this comment "Hey, their tourists, why would we care"............the problem is that not only do the tourists pay for your slop, locals that you depend on or should for the rest of the year get the same low quality product. I never forget a $hit meal/service in this city. Last year's spring/summer was the worst we have experienced and with service that was too commonly at an all time low. I know several local restaurants had new owners or managers but the serving staff they hired was bar non from a very poor "draft year". Because of that and the feeling that restaurants are becoming a crap shoot we are not heading out too many local ones over the course of this summer. And Bsuds, you are right about A&W.........I find the best or most consistent one to be Hwy 97 at Leathead.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Good quality inexpensive eats are very hard to come by.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Good quality inexpensive eats are very hard to come by.

Even at home! :biggrin:
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Good quality inexpensive eats are very hard to come by.

Bsuds wrote:Even at home! :biggrin:

I can only bit :cuss: & complain to myself on that one Bsuds. :laugh:
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Always get annoyed when a pub serves a lousy burger, shouldn't be too much ask for but usually let down. Often I'll ask the server what they recommend and let them know my wife is picky. :biggrin:

It's in their best interest tip wise that you're happy with your meal so generally I get good advice.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

When I first read Bsuds first message I thought "Oh they were probably there right beside us" !!!! As well as per normal went out Friday night. Let's just go local we said & not battle the tourists heading into Kelowna.

Yikes big mistake. Both of our meals ...crap ! New menu items maybe not such a great idea to order. Me...Salisbury Steak - yuck...gummy slab of mystery meat ???
Hubby - Reuben sandwich with I kid you not, ONE piece of corned beef. ONE ! Not like the lovely layered sandwich one would expect. A 6 yr old could have made a better sandwich. Waitress asked if all was well - mmmm not so much we told her. Whatever - nothing taken off the bill so we went home & drank beer & ate chips on the deck.

It's getting hard to find a decent place to eat out without breaking the bank. We should've just gone to Brandt's Creek Pub on Glenmore Rd. like we usually do. Never EVER had a bad meal or service there. Top notch pub.

(PS) I don't know anyone -owners/waitress.etc. affiliated with Brandt's Creek Pub. I just know that they know how to run things right & their food is awesome.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We were driving home from the beach and decided to do a bit of both, pick up a few groceries and A&W burgers. The burgers and corn chips and dip with milk were great. At home, Riverdale on netflix. Don't regret skipping the fries either.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:We were driving home from the beach and decided to do a bit of both, pick up a few groceries and A&W burgers. The burgers and corn chips and dip with milk were great. At home, Riverdale on netflix. Don't regret skipping the fries either.

We don't get their fries either. Wife prefers M'c D's fries.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”