Visions extended warranty

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Visions extended warranty

Post by Jlabute »

Dear techie nerds and other related geniuses ;-)

I just had my 50" GT50 Panasonic plasma TV give up the ghost 2 1/2 weeks ago and thankfully, I had bought a 4 yr extended warranty from visions. So Digitronics picked up the TV, and said they ordered a new main logic board which hasn't shipped since none are in stock. Seeing Panasonic and Samsung or anyone no longer make plasma TVs... it might be the case that the TV might never get fixed. In which case, visions state they would replace the TV with something equal or better. Any advice as to what that could mean? How long does one wait to find their TV can't be fixed?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Visions extended warranty

Post by GordonH »

Hmm... you could check to see if someone on Ebay happens to have a new part (/un-used) for sale. Pass it on to repair shop.
Time wise if they can't get a new part then that's your time frame.... used in electronics is ify at best.

Added later: one would think manufacturers would keep parts for X time after discontinuing.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yeah, it is a tough part to find new or used although, the shop said they are to get a new board so that they won't see the TV returned again, or won't face the possibility of a used board not working.
I am concerned if the TV can't be repaired, what Visions policies are on a replacement. The 'extended' warranty may provide some type of 'credit' and I noticed many BBB and other complaints against Visions in this regards.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

You'll likely be offered a refurbished TV of a slightly newer vintage. All depends what they have laying around.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

TylerM4 wrote:You'll likely be offered a refurbished TV of a slightly newer vintage. All depends what they have laying around.

I guess it depends, largely, on whether or not their warranty is handled by an insurance company or if they are managing this themselves.

I have my own experience with Visions that will have me never shop there again. I've been burned before.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

youjustcomplain wrote:
TylerM4 wrote:You'll likely be offered a refurbished TV of a slightly newer vintage. All depends what they have laying around.

I guess it depends, largely, on whether or not their warranty is handled by an insurance company or if they are managing this themselves.

I have my own experience with Visions that will have me never shop there again. I've been burned before.

Yes me as well . Never to step foot in visions again . Terrible store . Terrible . Sad that jlabute got burned for a tv and a warranty by these guys
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Visions warranty is done "in house". Read your fine print, I'm sure it states you will get a tv or equal or lesser value. Have a few good friends that work there (in edm) and always had great service. Personally I wouldn't buy a thing from Best Buy or future shop. Had great experience with visions warranty. Had a tv Replaced with a newer model and had many store credits from u used extended warranty. I also like the fact they are still independently owned and you can barter for the product..
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Jlabute wrote:Dear techie nerds and other related geniuses ;-)

I just had my 50" GT50 Panasonic plasma TV give up the ghost 2 1/2 weeks ago and thankfully, I had bought a 4 yr extended warranty from visions. So Digitronics picked up the TV, and said they ordered a new main logic board which hasn't shipped since none are in stock. Seeing Panasonic and Samsung or anyone no longer make plasma TVs... it might be the case that the TV might never get fixed. In which case, visions state they would replace the TV with something equal or better. Any advice as to what that could mean? How long does one wait to find their TV can't be fixed?

And here I thought you were a techie nerd and related genius.

Are tvs having a special features these days? I bought my Samsung Smarttv several years ago at Visions and haven't looked back.
It's been a long, long time since needing one.

I echo Vegas1500, do try shopping at Visions. They have good staff and policies. We got a monster cable used to route netflix from our computer to our tv, no wireless in this house! Except the phone.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I was checked out the Sony x900e. Nice picture quality.

Now, if I get extended warranty through visions, it'll cost close to $300 extra, and if something goes wrong, I won't have a TV for a month. (Like right now, three weeks and counting) Visions won't give a loaner.

If I go to Andres, it is roughly the same, except, Andres gives loaners. Same warranty cost, etc.

If I go to Costco, warranty is underwritten by a real insurance company and only $99, although they don't have the model I want, they do have an oled sale ;-)

If I go to Best Buy, warranty is underwritten by a real insurance company, and you wouldn't go without a TV for more than a few days, just like Costco. They also are giving away a free wall mount, delivery, and installation.

I'd love to pick visions, but they are making it tough. :-) I never thought I'd consider Best Buy, but I am, lol
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Jlabute wrote:I was checked out the Sony x900e. Nice picture quality.

Now, if I get extended warranty through visions, it'll cost close to $300 extra, and if something goes wrong, I won't have a TV for a month. (Like right now, three weeks and counting) Visions won't give a loaner.

If I go to Andres, it is roughly the same, except, Andres gives loaners. Same warranty cost, etc.

If I go to Costco, warranty is underwritten by a real insurance company and only $99, although they don't have the model I want, they do have an oled sale ;-)

If I go to Best Buy, warranty is underwritten by a real insurance company, and you wouldn't go without a TV for more than a few days, just like Costco. They also are giving away a free wall mount, delivery, and installation.

I'd love to pick visions, but they are making it tough. :-) I never thought I'd consider Best Buy, but I am, lol

Double check visions. That should be an "in house" repair although I'm not sure what it states for time frame of repair. I always have bought the extended warranty and never used it. I like the fact I get the money back as a credit at the end of the warranty period. I will agree that the sales people in Kelowna visions can come off "sleazy". If I require something in Kelowna I buy it from the guy I know in edm and pick it up at the Kelowna store....then I don't have to deal directly with the Kelowna sales guy's. One of my tvs started acting up at about 6 months and I went in for a straight exchange...no repair. Never would happen at a big box store. Also remember what ever price you're getting, they will do better. Give them an offer and you may be surprised.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote: We got a monster cable used to route netflix from our computer to our tv, no wireless in this house! Except the phone.

If you paid more than a few bucks for it you were scammed. lol Cables are way overpriced.
As far as wireless goes your internet provider should give you one included in your rental.

Extended warranty's are there for sellers to put money in their pockets, nothing else.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What rental? I don't rent anything. :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The main login board A needs replacing. On order but out of stock... and since they don't make plasmas any longer, it may be out of stock forever :-) I spoke to the general manager yesterday and he said he'd need the ok of head office which is open Monday. After the sale. I'll go again today and bug them again, once more, threaten to go elsewhere?? lol. I'm not good at threats, lol
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jlabute wrote: threaten to go elsewhere?? lol. I'm not good at threats, lol

Kind of difficult to do that in a case like this. It would be to their benefit if you went elsewhere.

The only "Threat" that might do you any good would be to "suggest" you will go to the media about it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Jlabute wrote:The main login board A needs replacing. On order but out of stock... and since they don't make plasmas any longer, it may be out of stock forever :-) I spoke to the general manager yesterday and he said he'd need the ok of head office which is open Monday. After the sale. I'll go again today and bug them again, once more, threaten to go elsewhere?? lol. I'm not good at threats, lol

Be patient and reasonable, I'm sure they will come through....

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”