Barefoot Beach Access

Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Barefoot Beach Access

Post by Always Sunny »

Some friends and had gone down May Long weekend and set up beach chairs way down where the traffic lights are at the airport entrace. There had been a family right near the entrance where we came in, and then an older lady walking a dog, and the three of us on the whole beach.

After about a half hour a guy comes down and tells us we need to pay to be there. Thirty bucks for the three of us...or $200/each for a "season pass". He tried impressing us with the fact he apparently gets paid $3500/bi-weekly to enforce this rule.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

To further complicate things, City of Penticton crews spent a few days last week cleaning up the beach from the mouth of the over west to Barefoot Beach Resort. Who is paying for that?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Bunnyhop wrote:To further complicate things, City of Penticton crews spent a few days last week cleaning up the beach from the mouth of the over west to Barefoot Beach Resort. Who is paying for that?

Good question. I've heard the the City has been paid by either the PIB or the locatee owner of the land for clean on a couple of occasions since the City stopped leasing the land. It's hard to say just who has control over what part of the beach. The legal boundary between band land and city land is the oxbows, the remnants of the old creek before they straightened it. That line is now the little ditch that runs between the highway and the lake immediately west of the washrooms in the public parking lot. From there west is band land.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Always Sunny wrote:Some friends and had gone down May Long weekend and set up beach chairs way down where the traffic lights are at the airport entrace. There had been a family right near the entrance where we came in, and then an older lady walking a dog, and the three of us on the whole beach.

After about a half hour a guy comes down and tells us we need to pay to be there. Thirty bucks for the three of us...or $200/each for a "season pass". He tried impressing us with the fact he apparently gets paid $3500/bi-weekly to enforce this rule.

Did you up and leave? Tell him where to stick it? I'm not thinking you paid anything.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

If that beach property is in fact owned by a PIB locate, then in my opinion best to move to another beach. In their mind it is their land and they can do as they see fit. ( smoking for example) Regarding high water mark, yes it is public up to the high water mark unless the property owner has a foreshore lease I believe. When the land in question is a PIB locate, all bets are off and I'm guessing calling Penticton by-law will just result in a not our land response.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Queen K wrote:
Always Sunny wrote:Some friends and had gone down May Long weekend and set up beach chairs way down where the traffic lights are at the airport entrace. There had been a family right near the entrance where we came in, and then an older lady walking a dog, and the three of us on the whole beach.

Did you up and leave? Tell him where to stick it? I'm not thinking you paid anything.

There was a sign of some kind (I do believe it had something to do with not having dogs inside of that sign on the Barefoot Beach section) that he pointed to and said up to that sign was BFB and it was ok to be past it.

We thought this guy was kidding simply because there were literally 6 other people entire beach, not to mention it was packed with debris from the flooding so you're thinking "what are we paying for here". Anyways, after 15 minutes of humouring this guy we realized he actually wasn't leaving...I grabbed my beach chair and dragged it 15' down to the other side of that sign and said "don't worry, we'll make room for all of your customers!". The sarcasm was lost of this guy.

I pled ignorant, I live in Kelowna and this was only my second time ever on BFB. But my one girlfriend who lives in Penticton assured me that this was a new thing.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

https://www.barefootresort.ca/private-beach/

It is being advertised as a private beach...
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

fall wrote:
Doesn't leave people with a lot of room.
Wonder how that would work at the WFN private beach in West Kelowna?

WFN I believe own the foreshore on their beach.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Perhaps councilor Picton could jump on Castanet and share his views.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Who has the certificate of possession?

I wish all shoreline areas were public. I also think there should be up to a 10m setback.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

seewood wrote:https://www.barefootresort.ca/private-beach/

It is being advertised as a private beach...

Would be nice if they provided info anywhere on their website or Facebook page regarding the cost per person per day/year. But I'm guessing being told you have the pleasure of paying $200 a person to spend the summer on a poorly maintained beach with no access to useable facilities (when we were there anyways) would discourage basically anyone. Their business plan seems to involve telling you once you and your family are set up. If it's private, that's fine. But as business, find a way to advertise these rates to potential customers.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

By the sounds of it, I doubt any there have a strong business acumen. Being private, perhaps ones that want to swill booze on a hot day at the beach now have a place to go. Just have to pay for it. Smoke on the beach as well as there is now a by-law in Penticton prohibiting smoking on public beaches.
So many other nice beaches to go to. The dog beach at Sunoka is nice after a bit of a walk along the Trout Creek dike. Plenty in Naramata that are now being found from some in Penticton ( both dog and non dog)
Rent a kayak in Naramata and head up the lake a bit. don't need much room really. Once saw a bear cub playing on the shore and then a Bald Eagle dove into the water a few moments later and grabbed a carp...
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Just saw this...

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... port-Beach

Supposed to be public now Penticton is cleaning it up.... if it is the same as " barefoot beach" Owner of this airport beach is one of the Kruger clan..
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

What a waste of tax payers money. Let PIB have their crappy beach that hardly anybody will use and take care of it themselves.
Penticton has more than enough beaches to maintain already.
Giving in again.
Last edited by fall on Aug 1st, 2017, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

seewood wrote:Just saw this...

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... port-Beach

Supposed to be public now Penticton is cleaning it up.... if it is the same as " barefoot beach" Owner of this airport beach is one of the Kruger clan..

This smacks of "If you want it cleaned up, you pay for it".
Partners in the community only when it is someone else's money.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”