More Canadians Living alone: 2016 census

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

More Canadians Living alone: 2016 census

Post by Queen K »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/census- ... -1.4231163

What the heck does it all mean?

Does it mean more social isolation? More peace and quiet for people? We're becoming a society unable to meet people and connect or is it a by product of an aging population?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: More Canadians Living alone: 2016 census

Post by lesliepaul »

Well in Kelowna I know a lot of single men...........over 40 and up to their late 60's. Many are single because of a divorce and some others because their spouse's died. Then there are the men that have been single their whole lives and intend to stay out of any long term relationships. When talking to them and this comes up in conversation they usually say the same thing........."I ain't losing half my stuff" or "I ain't losing half my stuff AGAIN" and "this town is very hard to find a women that is not looking for money.........someone else's".

This may come across as harsh but there is no shortage of gold diggers in Kelowna.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Queen K wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/census-2016-marriage-children-families-1.4231163

What the heck does it all mean?

Does it mean more social isolation? More peace and quiet for people? We're becoming a society unable to meet people and connect or is it a by product of an aging population?

It means our social system has evolved to the point that a person can live by themselves for life if they choose to do so.
It means that as an aged parent you do not need to be supported by your kids, your life choices have provided you with an income more or less for life.
Since we know that having a partner in life leads to a longer life then we have to question the wisdom of choosing a single existence.
I am not a social person in that I seek out the company of others, instead I find it takes away from what I want to do with myself during the day and sitting around gabbing does not appeal to me in the slightest.
Waste not
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

lesliepaul wrote:...

This may come across as harsh but there is no shortage of gold diggers in Kelowna.

Really? Where are they?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

lesliepaul wrote:This may come across as harsh but there is no shortage of gold diggers in Kelowna.

That is exactly what my 2 single son's say and that they can't afford a girlfriend.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Maybe people doing what's best for themselves
No longer pressured to marry, no longer pressured to have kids.
Maybe happier people out there?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

There are days where I could really get my head wrapped around living alone and

being a hermit seems pretty attractive.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”