Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

dle
Lord of the Board

Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Post by dle »

More proof this City has serious prioritizing issues - close part of the lake in a heartbeat so no one can watch the snowbirds from their boat, but close part of the lake so the firefighting planes can scoop, or to protect the foreshore in flooding - not a chance :135: !

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203542
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Post by WalterWhite »

Huh? Which city? This is in Penticton. It's standard practice for an area of water the Snowbirds are performing over to be strictly off limits during their show, ever since the crash in Toronto I believe. Areas used for water pick up by aircraft during a fire are also off limits, and are often patrolled by the police water services.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

dle wrote:More proof this City has serious prioritizing issues - close part of the lake in a heartbeat so no one can watch the snowbirds from their boat, but close part of the lake so the firefighting planes can scoop, or to protect the foreshore in flooding - not a chance !

This has happened ever since the display has taken place over the water. Lots of room with great visibility just outside the "line" Show is what, 1/2 hour or so? then the lake is open again, not a big deal for safety reasons.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dle wrote:More proof this City has serious prioritizing issues - close part of the lake in a heartbeat so no one can watch the snowbirds from their boat, but close part of the lake so the firefighting planes can scoop, or to protect the foreshore in flooding - not a chance :135: !

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203542

You'd rather not have the Snowbirds perform?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

thought I had posted this reply but something went awry so here goes again:

sorry, my bad, I didn't read it properly and so didn't note the show was in Penticton.

However, and I will do better and try and make myself clear this time, my point was and is that when suggesting the lake be closed here in Kelowna, for safety reasons, during parts of the crucial fire-fighting efforts and the very critical flood days, we were told nope, could only be closed by the Feds.

So, how is it that it can be closed, for safety reasons, for the Snowbirds show? Did the Feds close it? Nope don't think so...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

dle wrote:thought I had posted this reply but something went awry so here goes again:

sorry, my bad, I didn't read it properly and so didn't note the show was in Penticton.

However, and I will do better and try and make myself clear this time, my point was and is that when suggesting the lake be closed here in Kelowna, for safety reasons, during parts of the crucial fire-fighting efforts and the very critical flood days, we were told nope, could only be closed by the Feds.

So, how is it that it can be closed, for safety reasons, for the Snowbirds show? Did the Feds close it? Nope don't think so...

Since Snowbirds are connected to the Canadian Armed Forces, so that makes them Fed's. Standard for them any time there show is over water.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

GordonH wrote:
dle wrote:thought I had posted this reply but something went awry so here goes again:

Since Snowbirds are connected to the Canadian Armed Forces, so that makes them Fed's. Standard for them any time there show is over water.

ok, fair enough, and I know I'm being a bit like a dog with a bone here, but I gotta chew it once more and say I guess what I'm asking is why is the safety of the pilots flying the Fire Boss bombers not given the same regard as the safety of the pilots flying the Snowbirds? I think the fire pilots are hired by the Provincial government, could be wrong, but in any event, Provincial or local government should be able to offer them the same safety measures I would hope. And there are a ton of eggheads on the lake trying to get close to take pics while they are trying to scoop! At least the Snowbirds are staying in the air....
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Should just have an A10 Warthog clear a path for the planes before they scoop.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

WalterWhite wrote:Huh? Which city? This is in Penticton. It's standard practice for an area of water the Snowbirds are performing over to be strictly off limits during their show, ever since the crash in Toronto I believe. Areas used for water pick up by aircraft during a fire are also off limits, and are often patrolled by the police water services.

It might be that it is supposed to be off limits but every year we hear the plea for boaters to stay away from the bombers so they can do their job so I'm guessing a few bubblebrains are slipping through....
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

I imagine the same types that try and access the lake while air tankers are working are also the same types that will try and access the lake while the snowbirds are flying.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

This all may become moot if the smoke does not clear out. No show if the visibility remains this poor.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

BTW the first 3 just arrived. They will be here until Thursday then off to Abottsford. Even if they don't do the show. I want to see the F-18 as it's colour scheme is bright red.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Question - if it is a go - any suggestions for a good vantage point? Don't want to go down to the lake, too crowded. I know there's a great view from Munson Mountain but parking is so limited there. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Nooby wrote:Question - if it is a go - any suggestions for a good vantage point? Don't want to go down to the lake, too crowded. I know there's a great view from Munson Mountain but parking is so limited there. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Although the lake or the parks may be too crowded for you the show always has a center where crossovers etc happen. That is usually near the Peach. So when you see the planes coming at each other and then pass by each other that point is usually at the show center. There are some low flyovers in formation that come straight from the north that head directly also to show center. Kinda cool watching a formation fly right at you and over top your head at a low level. You can "feel" them.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

JagXKR wrote:
Nooby wrote:Question - if it is a go - any suggestions for a good vantage point? Don't want to go down to the lake, too crowded. I know there's a great view from Munson Mountain but parking is so limited there. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Although the lake or the parks may be too crowded for you the show always has a center where crossovers etc happen. That is usually near the Peach. So when you see the planes coming at each other and then pass by each other that point is usually at the show center. There are some low flyovers in formation that come straight from the north that head directly also to show center. Kinda cool watching a formation fly right at you and over top your head at a low level. You can "feel" them.

Thanks - that does sound pretty cool. Might just have to suck it up and put up with the crowds, won't kill us to do so. :130:

Return to “South Okanagan”