Apricots - the healthiest food you can eat

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Apricots - the healthiest food you can eat

Post by Thinktank »

It's a crime.

While we ship out our expensive wines to places like China and all over the world, us Canadians eat
cheap processed sugary foods in the summer, instead of apricots, because the orchardists chopped
all their trees down.

It's a crime.

40% of us are overweight, and the #1 healthiest food on earth, apricots, don't sell much any more. I see
a few of them for a week or two from California for about $3.00/lb, but no one buys much Canadian apricots.

The Okanagan Valley is the only place in Canada that can grow apricots, which are the earliest fruit to blossom,
and would freeze out everywhere else in Canada. In Hunza (in mountainous Pakistan) where people
lived over 100, with all their own teeth, no mental institutions, no jails, and no diseases, a man's wealth
was measured by the number of organic apricot trees he owned. In Hunza, they even ate the kernel in the apricot pits,
which is said to have some anti-cancer vitamins.

It's all about money now. The Moorpark apricot trees are all ripped down, so people can make
MONEY MONEY MONEY growing grapes for wine. Moorpark apricots turn soft and don't really ship well
if they're picked ripe, and they don't look so great in the stores, so they are not very profitable.

It's all about money. And sickness and disease is Canada's #1 industry. It's a crime.

How many tree ripened Okanagan apricots did you eat so far?

Me - I'm going to eat a ton of apricots in the next week or two.

Tree ripened apricots are the healthiest food you can get.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Apricots - the healthiest food you can eat

Post by Glacier »

A late frost decimated the apricot crop this year. I only bought 1 box this year. sad.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Thinktank wrote:The Okanagan Valley is the only place in Canada that can grow apricots, which are the earliest fruit to blossom,
and would freeze out everywhere else in Canada.

The Okanagan Valley isn't the only place ... in Canada, apricots are grown primarily in the dry, warm southern interior of British Columbia and in southern Ontario.
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/e ... e/apricot/
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Where do you get the idea that apricots are "The healthiest food you can eat"? They're very high in fructose.
dinosaur
Fledgling

Post by dinosaur »

Its a shame there aren't more apricots, nectarines, peaches etc... We have populist industries in grapes, apples, and cherries that get tunnel vision and don't always support other crops like we should. There are so many wonderful apricot varieties which could be picked ripe, however...
1. Don't tell people to eat apricot kernels. They contain cyanide. They do not cure cancer. Fire and many other things can kill cancer cells but that doesn't mean it is healthy to bathe in lava.
2. Apricots are the healthiest food on earth? Says who? If you are already eating lots of fruits and vegetables what is there in apricots people are not getting in adequate levels? I'm no nutritionist but I suspect the answer is nothing.
3. Canadians eat sugary foods? Fruit has lots of sugar. Sugar is sugar. You are safer eating fruit because it takes time and energy to eat and digest, but turn that into apricot juice and you are still getting a large easy sugar fix.
4. Don't ignore money. Good agricultural land in the Okanogan is very expensive, crop protection products cost double what they do in the US, and labour costs more here too. It would take some very smart growers to successfully develop the apricot industry in the Okanogan, particularly with the monopsony-like consolidated-retailers we have in Canada. Idealists who ignore the financial realities of the tree-fruits industry don't last very long.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Thinktank wrote:It's a crime.

While we ship out our expensive wines to places like China and all over the world, us Canadians eat
cheap processed sugary foods in the summer, instead of apricots, because the orchardists chopped
all their trees down.

It's a crime.

Actually, nowhere in the Criminal Code of Canada does it mention being a crime to cut down apricot trees. Nor do I think it is morally or ethically wrong. Farmers produce what people buy. People do not buy many apricots and I don't believe you can prove it is the healthiest food you can eat.
It is good. It is healthy. But you should, perhaps, become an apricot producer if you feel that strongly.

It's not a crime or anywhere close to it.
You and 71 others Like this post
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

dinosaur wrote:1. Don't tell people to eat apricot kernels. They contain cyanide.

Ate Five kernels today.
But after this I won't eat any apricot kernels for another three years probably.

You aren't going to get healthy by finding one magic thing, like apricot kernels. The Hunzas lived to over 100
not just because of all the apricots they ate, but because EVERYTHING they ate was good, natural and organic.

But I wouldn't go out and eat fifty apricot kernels at once.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”