Selling Firewood when there is a Ban!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Selling Firewood when there is a Ban!

Post by Bsuds »

There is a Gas Station on Hwy 33 that has a sign out front with "Firewood For Sale" in big letters! It has been out there the whole time that the fires and fire ban has been on.

Anyone else think this is not a very good idea?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Selling Firewood when there is a Ban!

Post by dirtybiker »

I didn't see anyone stop trying to sell power boats during the floods.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Oh geez. What's next? Going to shame the people that cut this wood?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

johnny24 wrote:Oh geez. What's next? Going to shame the people that cut this wood?

Wondering how sales are doing, since no one can have wood burning campfire. I highly doubt anyone needing to warm with stove fire right now.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

johnny24 wrote:Oh geez. What's next? Going to shame the people that cut this wood?

Well I suppose the idiots who think it's OK to have a campfire when there is a ban will buy it.

I'm just pointing out the stupidity of advertising it for sale when it's illegal to use it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

actually Bsuds I know plenty of people who use it to heat their homes and they start stock piling it for the fall and winter right now...
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Bsuds wrote:

Well I suppose the idiots who think it's OK to have a campfire when there is a ban will buy it.

I'm just pointing out the stupidity of advertising it for sale when it's illegal to use it.

Fair enough. I support a free market, but I'll step aside while you try to find your scapegoat.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

W105 wrote:actually Bsuds I know plenty of people who use it to heat their homes and they start stock piling it for the fall and winter right now...

I think the OP is referring to firewood sold at the gas stations this is not the same as the firewood people stockpile to heat their homes.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Bsuds wrote:There is a Gas Station on Hwy 33 that has a sign out front with "Firewood For Sale" in big letters! It has been out there the whole time that the fires and fire ban has been on.

Anyone else think this is not a very good idea?

I get your point and it seems odd, but responsibility doesn't lay with the gas station, only the individual who uses it.

Similar scenario: I was recently at a Surplus Herbies checking out all the crap I don't need when I overheard a conversation between the customer and sales clerk. The customer was purchasing huge treble hooks and other types of gang trolling gear and mentioned his excitement to fish a local river for salmon.

Well, treble hooks and half the gear he was buying are not legal in the rivers but the sales person didn't mention anything which I thought a bit odd. Sort of the same thing.....I suppose it isn't the sales clerks responsibility to mention this, it's still up to the individual who's responsibility it is to read the regs.

I ended up standing behind him, and I did mention to him that the rivers were single barbless hooks. He just smiled with a confused look on his face and didn't say anything and left. :135:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Loki2u wrote:The customer was purchasing huge treble hooks and other types of gang trolling gear and mentioned his excitement to fish a local river for salmon.

Maybe he had a status card. If anywhere near the mouth of the Cap River behind park Royal while the Coho are milling about before water levels in the river are high enough to head upstream, you will see the Squamish laddies grappling with those large trebles and lead wrapped around the shank. The drying racks are out with hatchery salmon on them and in the background is the sewage treatment plant and Lions Gate bridge....kind of a disconnect really.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Yes, this is the season for selling Firewood.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

There's a place up in Enderby selling "organic" firewood :laugh:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Did you load up? :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I bought all the firewood and put it back into the forest.

Not because I'm an activist, but because I wanted to publicly display my wealth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I suppose it is just like radar detectors as far as I know they are still legal to buy and illegal to use. I could be wrong.

EDIT to ADD;

Yes I do realize they are not illegal in some provinces, BC Included, but I was thinking of provinces I have lived in that sell them even while they are illegal.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Social Concerns”