Easy way to quit being overweight

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Easy way to quit being overweight

Post by Thinktank »

On April 2 I said:
Thinktank wrote:So I decided to weigh myself

^ That was crazy. I'm not 212 any more but I won't say how much I weigh - until Nov.1 - it might take that long
to be completely normal weight again.

Here is what other people said about the topic, and they are all correct.
So people know what to do. How come 40% of Canadians are overweight if everyone knows what to do?

Jonrox wrote:I'm a firm believer that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise.

One Fat Guy Later wrote:Very true! I've lost more weight in a shorter period of time by changing my food intake than by exercise alone and thinking I can burn it off.

cutter7 wrote: Eat something within half an hr of waking up , this will engage your metabolism.
eat 6 small portions per day rather than 3 meals per day.

^ Yup. I do that.

Static wrote:Stop eating wheat. Read Wheat Belly. Also walk if your destination is less than 1 mile away.

I stopped white flour.

gardengirl wrote:You need to keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat. I mean everything. Write down the times as well.
A balanced meal should have 25% complex carbs 50% fruit and veg and 25% lean protein.
No white bread, rice, pasta. Whole grains only.
Concentrate on simple, whole foods. Raw is better than cooked as it takes longer for your body to break down and will prevent sugar spikes.
Some people can handle dairy, others cannot. Cheese is bad for most people as it contains a lot of sodium and fat.
Eat whole fruit, not fruit juice. Juice is pretty much pure sugar.
Bake, poach or steam foods. Nothing fried.

That I do. The diary is a genius idea. I did it - for one day, then quit.

Jonrox wrote:Cut out dairy and gluten. Cut out sugar from non-fruit sources and watch your salt intake closely. Eat lots of lean meats and eggs. Don't drink anything but water (and maybe some tea).

But have a cheat day.

I reduce dairy. Will not cut out cream.

coffeeFreak wrote:Hopefully you have cut out all pop, juice, and simple carbs, as well as are more conscious of sodium and (good vs bad) fat intake. Drinking a good amount of water should also be important...good luck!!

I try to do that.

WeatherWoman wrote:...you still need some healthy fats in your diet
Ramp up your excerise to sweating for 1/2 hour.

Trying.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
pepperspickled

Post by pepperspickled »

Silverstarqueen wrote:
Hassel99 wrote:Its a math problem.

Calories in vs Calories out.
Learn your numbers change your numbers.

If it were that easy, everyone would do that, I would do that. For me the problem is hunger, if I eat fewer calories, i get so hungry, I just end up wanting to eat more. However if I eat low carb, my appetite normalizes and I am only as hungry as I need to be to live, and I lose weight too. So for those who can eat less and function fine, good on them. I tried eating less, and just found my energy levels ground to a complete halt, and I wasn't losing much weight. So I do need to function in the meantime.

The math is the foundation. Calories in vs. Calories out is where you start. Its undeniable proven fact. Then you can start to find out what you're body needs to feel full. Its not about eating "less" in quantity of food so much as it is about eating less in CALORIES. This is a good comparison: http://www.boredpanda.com/what-200-calories-look-like/ (and there are many more comparison charts like this out there, this is the first I pulled from google). I'd like to specifically point out the butter.

You are going to be hungry for the first couple weeks to a month while your body adjusts to the different amount of calories. And slowly add exercise in a few steps at a time. Get into good habits and don't avoid everything you like to eat just because its "not healthy"; that is what leads to binge eating. Hell, if you eat cheetos and pop everyday: start eating less cheetos (ration them out into baggies), and start drinking diet pop (find the one you like, your tastebuds will adjust). Slowly change the amount of salt and sugar you add to things. Instead of eating a huge slice of cake, eat a small slice. Instead of taking the elevator, take the stairs. Take more veggies on your plate at dinner and less of the other things. All tiny habits a bit at a time.

Your body will start to adjust. But you need to put in the effort to learn how to balance your calorie intake for each day. It isn't going to happen overnight and it isn't going to happen if you suddenly try to make all of the changes at once. Takes a lot of patience to lose weight and adapt to a healthier lifestyle. It takes time to build habits.

Here is a calculator that is well-respected in the fitness community, the description explains how it works: https://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy ... e-advanced
pepperspickled

Post by pepperspickled »

Thinktank wrote:On April 2 I said:
Thinktank wrote:So I decided to weigh myself

^ That was crazy. I'm not 212 any more but I won't say how much I weigh - until Nov.1 - it might take that long
to be completely normal weight again.

Here is what other people said about the topic, and they are all correct.
So people know what to do. How come 40% of Canadians are overweight if everyone knows what to do?

Jonrox wrote:I'm a firm believer that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise.

One Fat Guy Later wrote:Very true! I've lost more weight in a shorter period of time by changing my food intake than by exercise alone and thinking I can burn it off.

cutter7 wrote: Eat something within half an hr of waking up , this will engage your metabolism.
eat 6 small portions per day rather than 3 meals per day.

^ Yup. I do that.

Static wrote:Stop eating wheat. Read Wheat Belly. Also walk if your destination is less than 1 mile away.

I stopped white flour.

gardengirl wrote:You need to keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat. I mean everything. Write down the times as well.
A balanced meal should have 25% complex carbs 50% fruit and veg and 25% lean protein.
No white bread, rice, pasta. Whole grains only.
Concentrate on simple, whole foods. Raw is better than cooked as it takes longer for your body to break down and will prevent sugar spikes.
Some people can handle dairy, others cannot. Cheese is bad for most people as it contains a lot of sodium and fat.
Eat whole fruit, not fruit juice. Juice is pretty much pure sugar.
Bake, poach or steam foods. Nothing fried.

That I do. The diary is a genius idea. I did it - for one day, then quit.

Jonrox wrote:Cut out dairy and gluten. Cut out sugar from non-fruit sources and watch your salt intake closely. Eat lots of lean meats and eggs. Don't drink anything but water (and maybe some tea).

But have a cheat day.

I reduce dairy. Will not cut out cream.

coffeeFreak wrote:Hopefully you have cut out all pop, juice, and simple carbs, as well as are more conscious of sodium and (good vs bad) fat intake. Drinking a good amount of water should also be important...good luck!!

I try to do that.

WeatherWoman wrote:...you still need some healthy fats in your diet
Ramp up your excerise to sweating for 1/2 hour.

Trying.

All of this is so over-complicated. Hopefully my other post shows up before this reply. But it really isn't as complicated as the above. I will say this though, for the first week or two, a food diary is a good idea - but no need to over-complicate that either; just each item and the calories for each item will work. Then you can get an idea of what you're taking in, what foods have what number of calories, and so-on. MyFitnessPal app makes this stupid-easy to do.

Return to “Social Concerns”