ICBC rates could go up 30%

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: ICBC rates could go up 30%

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:Where do you get these ideas ?

The forms indicates what happened to the plates, either it is indicated that they have been turned in or the insured MUST complete a declaration that they were lost.

Once they have been turned in or declared lost, they are branded. They can't be used again. So even if an agent did so (let you keep 'em), which they would never do, they need their contract with ICBC and are audited and monitored carefully, the plates wouldn't do anyone any good.

Allowing a customer to keep a number plate that is showing a decal that has not yet expired would be a serious problem.

I don't have any "ideas". Obviously your experience with your broker is different then my experience with mine :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:I don't have any "ideas". Obviously your experience with your broker is different then my experience with mine :up:

What you've said doesn't make sense.

You said in reference to keeping plates .... "Don't cancel the plates, just the policy..." (and you can keep the plates)

I advised that ICBC doesn't allow that, period and no, a broker wouldn't allow you to keep plates that had current decals on them either.

Even if a broker did, that plate they let you keep (but they wouldn't) could NEVER be used again, so there's no point.

If that was allowed, you would then be retaining a license plate that APPEARED to be valid ("current" expiry decal on it) that could be misused.

For that reason when you cancel the policy, the plates, the plates and policy, call it what you like, but they are one and the same the plate must be turned over or if the holder of the plates says they lost them, they are required to declare the plates lost. In any event the plates can NEVER be used again.

The exception is if you put the insurance on a different class of vehicle (ie a car to a truck), the plate would be replaced with a truck plate and the car plate would be KEPT by the agent and the insurance would be moved to the different vehicle, again, the plate with the valid appearing decal is turned in.

I'm not speaking to this from the position of dealing with "a broker" or "my broker", I've dealt with hundreds of brokers, and just about every scenario you can think of. That is the procedure and that is what would happen to those plates, they would be no good for the next year.

Difference scenario if the plates/policy expired. You don't have to get new plates. The following year you can go to an agent and get a new decal and stick it on the expired plates and away you go.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

I just assumed he was talking about a lapse situation more so than a mid term cancellation.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Hassel99 wrote:I just assumed he was talking about a lapse situation more so than a mid term cancellation.
my5cents wrote:It depends if you cancel the insurance or just let it expire. My M/C's insurance expires in the fall, I retain the plates, in the spring I purchase insurance and stick the new decal on the existing plates.
If I cancelled the plates while there was current insurance, I'd have to return the plates since they (on the face) indicate I have valid insurance, which I wouldn't if I cancelled same.
Also if you replace your Autoplan coverage with ICBC storage insurance I don't believe they charge you for a short term policy.

Dizzy 1 : Don't cancel the plates, just the policy. Did that almost every year when the urge to bring out the summer car was just too much to let it sit in the garage the extra month. Having just bought a nice little hot hatch for spirited Sunday Summer drives, I'll be doing the same come winter when it goes in for storage.

Yes, if it was a lapse situation you could just leave the plates on the vehicle and stick the new decal on when you renew and away you go.

It started way back. Dizzy 1 continued to state there was a way in which you can cancel your insurance and retain your number plates, which you can't.

I hate mis-information, wive's tales, I knew a guy who, urban legends, etc on these forums.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:
I hate mis-information, wive's tales, I knew a guy who, urban legends, etc on these forums.

There is no "mis-information". You have your experiences, I have mine and I'm just sharing mine.

I've been doing it for years, never have I been asked once to turn in the plates. Both when I had two vehicles, one for the summer and one for the winter - each with its own plates and separate policy. When the weather was nice enough a bit earlier in the year, the policy for the winter would be cancelled (plates stayed on the vehicle and it went into storage) and a new policy would be put on the summer car and new decals would be put on that cars plates which were not removed from the previous year. I also did the same when I worked in Europe, I'd put a 6 month policy on the vehicle, maybe cancel it 4 months in and the plates remained on the vehicle.

If I decide to store my newly acquired weekend warrior fun car for the winter, I'll be doing the same if the weather dictates it.

Guess my broker just likes me more than yours :138:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:There is no "mis-information". You have your experiences, I have mine and I'm just sharing mine.

I've been doing it for years, never have I been asked once to turn in the plates. Both when I had two vehicles, one for the summer and one for the winter - each with its own plates and separate policy. When the weather was nice enough a bit earlier in the year, the policy for the winter would be cancelled (plates stayed on the vehicle and it went into storage) and a new policy would be put on the summer car and new decals would be put on that cars plates which were not removed from the previous year. I also did the same when I worked in Europe, I'd put a 6 month policy on the vehicle, maybe cancel it 4 months in and the plates remained on the vehicle.

If I decide to store my newly acquired weekend warrior fun car for the winter, I'll be doing the same if the weather dictates it.

Read this really slowly and try to understand...

IF you cancel your insurance EVEN IF an agent let you keep your plates WHICH THEY WOULD NOT because one customer does make up for the world of hurt they would be in from ICBC.

BUT they did...

OK, for you to get your policy CANCELLED, they would have to tell ICBC. ICBC would then input your plates as being CANCELLED. Yes, if you cancelled your policy, it's the same thing, your plates are cancelled.

So those plates that you were allowed to keep are DEAD. Next year when you went to try to get decals to put on them the plate status would be "turned in" or "lost", those are the only options when you cancel your policy/plates.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:Read this really slowly and try to understand...

IF you cancel your insurance EVEN IF an agent let you keep your plates WHICH THEY WOULD NOT because one customer does make up for the world of hurt they would be in from ICBC.

BUT they did...

OK, for you to get your policy CANCELLED, they would have to tell ICBC. ICBC would then input your plates as being CANCELLED. Yes, if you cancelled your policy, it's the same thing, your plates are cancelled.

So those plates that you were allowed to keep are DEAD. Next year when you went to try to get decals to put on them the plate status would be "turned in" or "lost", those are the only options when you cancel your policy/plates.

I'll take my real world experience for $200 Alex!

Thanks for playing my5cents :up:
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'll take my real world experience for $200 Alex!

Thanks for playing my5cents :up:

Oh, I'm not playing with a troll, I'm trying to make sure the readers of this don't get mislead. You, no I won't get through to you. "You can always tell a {fill in} just not much".

For those who do wonder and care, here's the link to ICBC :

http://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/Licence-plates.aspx

Click on "If I take my vehicle off the road, can I keep my personalized plates ?"

Briefly it states : "Unfortunately, no. Any time you cancel your insurance, you have to return the plates, including personalized ones, to your Autoplan broker to get a refund on your insurance. If your insurance simply expires, you don't need to return the plates."

So, there you have it, end of discussion.

In your case, I do believe you have a "special" Autoplan agent that breaks all the ICBC (Vehicle Registration Rules) just for you. I'm sure you are such a valuable customer that during their routine audits from ICBC they don't mind the grief.

I'm just having a problem with the part, that to get the refund, the agent does have to tell ICBC what happened to the plates, and having done so, the plates are never going to be any good, ever.

That's the part of the fable, that stumps me.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Dizzy1 wrote:
my5cents wrote:

There is no "mis-information". You have your experiences, I have mine and I'm just sharing mine.

Did you put storage insurance on your cars while they were not on the road?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Hassel99 wrote:Did you put storage insurance on your cars while they were not on the road?

Are you thinking one can keep their plates if they purchase a storage policy at the time of cancellation ?

If you do, you do get a break in that you don't get charged the cancellation fee, but the plates still have to go back because on their face (valid current decal) they appear to be valid plates and valid insurance, which they aren't.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Hassel99 wrote:

Did you put storage insurance on your cars while they were not on the road?

That I did.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

ICBC is a wreck, I expect no less by a crown corp
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204061

"A recent report from Ernst & Young painted a dire picture at the Crown corporation, concluding that rates must increase by 30 per cent by 2019 to cover costs. A separate forecast released last November by ICBC indicated rates would need to increase by 42 per cent over the next five years to make up for expenses"

They threw the 42% to measure the backlash, you know they want more than 42%

SCRAP ICBC!!!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup time for icbc to go, a friend of mine just moved from quebec to kelowna last week the insurance on his van there was $33.00 a month ,exact same couverage here $121 a month :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

the truth wrote:yup time for icbc to go, a friend of mine just moved from quebec to kelowna last week the insurance on his van there was $33.00 a month ,exact same couverage here $121 a month :200:

I'm not saying ICBC doesn't need a complete overhaul. It has been mismanaged by the Liberals, through interference and by overseeing a government insurance company without a thread of knowledge of how a GOVERMENT insurance company is run.

And some will say, "yes but they hired experts in the field". Yes they did. They hired experts in the field of insurance, not GOVERNMENT insurance.

In reading the story that Jimmy4321 attached there was a very disturbing fact, that I believed couldn't happen.

In paragraph 8 of the story it reads :

In all, the Liberals withdrew $1.2 billion from the lucrative optional side of ICBC's business, and also transferred $1.4 billion to offset deficits on the compulsory side providing basic coverage beginning in 2012
It was always WRONG for the Liberals to take any money from ICBC. I put some blame on the NDP as well. Isn't it the opposition's job to watch the government ???

The disturbing fact is the part that reads : "....and also transferred $1.4 billion to offset deficits on the compulsory side..."

I'm sure there was legislation put in place during the period after the Liberal got power from the NDP and Nick Geer was the CEO that the Optional Coverage portion of ICBC's business could NOT supplement the Mandatory side. That just wasn't to be done.

I'm sure private insurance, who were competing with ICBC on the optional side didn't mind that $1.4 billion was removed to assist them in competing with ICBC, but that was certainly expressly forbidden.

Doesn't the media know about that ? That's,,,, what do they call it ??? ah ya NEWS !

Now, "the truth", (you probably wondered why you were quoted)

You stated : "his van there was $33.00 a month ,exact same couverage here $121 a month"

What would you think if I said to you that "my friend just bought a house in, (some place other than here) let's say Toronto and the "exact same" house cost half what my house cost me in the Okanagan"

You ask, "Was it the same age ?"
Me, "No"
You ask, "Was it the same size ?"
Me, "No"
You asks, "Was the property it is on the same size as your's in the Okanagan ?
Me, "No, but otherwise it was exactly the same"

I assume, since you quoted $33 a month that does not include full coverage, (Collision $200, Comprehensive $200, a high excess Public Liability coverage). But you did say the exact same coverage, so for argument sake lets say your friend knows how insurance works and it was the same.

If your friend purchased just bare bones liability coverage both in Quebec and BC, there's a BIG difference, because Quebec requires a minimum liability coverage of $50,000, the minimum in BC is $200,000.

BUT the biggie is the limits on liability coverage in Quebec.

The BIG reason the costs are climbing all across Canada (with the exception of a few provinces, including Quebec) is because the small fender benders are resulting in law suits, everyone wanting "their" piece of the action.

The reason Quebec is different, they have a "Threshold No Fault" system. What that means, is that you get rear ended and there's a decent amount of damage, but you really didn't get that hurt, some soft tissue, perhaps, you need a few days off work maybe some physio (at most).

In BC and a lot of provinces, you then go get a "good" lawyer and you sue, and ICBC likely will pay a lot more than your slight injury was really worth, a little play acting, a dozen or more unneeded physio appointments, some whining and you and your lawyer split a tidy sum.

Quebec.... nope. You get wage loss and physio and your car fixed and away you go, no pain and suffering for you.

That my friend, is not "exactly the same" and the reason insurance is cheaper in Quebec.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

It's time to stop people being allowed to sue for minor injuries. I've lived long enough to see lots of abuse of such a system, and not too much real benefit. If the injury is minor, why should be people be financially compensated for that?

Unless they can prove loss of income, or some other financial cost, minor injuries should not be something somebody can make a claim for. And even if they can, they should only be able to receive compensation for actual financial loss (not pain and suffering, because if the injury is minor such pain and suffering will be minimal).

Another issue that needs to be dealt with is unnecessary bureaucracy and top heavy, overly compensated management which, I suspect, are both an issue at ICBC. Maybe some sort of external audit into such matters would be helpful in that regard.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “B.C.”