Commercial Drivers Cell Phone Use

Home of the traffic rant.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Commercial Drivers Cell Phone Use

Post by GordonH »

neilsimon wrote:Of course I can drive as such, but statistics show that hands-free devices aren't hugely safer than hand-held devices. If you are driving and concentrating on a conversation, you are not giving your full attention to driving.

I can also drive drunk, on drugs, half-awake, etc. but none as safely as I can do while completely alert and single-mindedly focused on driving.

GordonH wrote:Obvious difference neilsimon is one is illegal & other one is legal.

neilsimon wrote:So? Just because something isn't illegal doesn't mean that it is a good idea.

BTW, there have been numerous calls for the banning of all cell-phone and similar use, hands-free or not, as it is proven to be relatively dangerous to use such while driving.

I'm not addicted to my phone as many are, I don't even have it turn on while driving all my calls go to voicemail.

Enforcement of hands free or built-in (i.e apple car play etc) will be hard to do. Those with their phones pressed against the side of there heads will be very obvious.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

jimmy4321 wrote:It would be very bad news for many small businesses.

Or it will save their employee and/or themselves from killing people.

I see many "one man bands" around town and some of their driving is absolutely horrendous. The ones in branded or wrapped vehicles are not much better than anonymous Joe Schmoe.

One of these arseholes nearly rear ended me at 50kmh. When I called the number of the side of his vehicle he apologized and said it was because he dropped his phone. Enough said. Too many idiots. Not enough laws or enforcement.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

neilsimon wrote:Hands free is only a bit safer than hands held devices. If one needs to carry on a conversation, why can't they pull over and do so from a stopped vehicle?

Fact is that mobile communications is a fact of life now, we've recognized both the risks and dangers abut also the need for communication accessibility - its just the way our society has evolved. So now we have to find a solution to balance the two - allowing our society's demand for instant and constant communication and the safest way to allow us to access it.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Yep, it's so damn important to know what someone is doing every moment of every minute of every day. = just sheer addiction
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Dizzy1 wrote:
neilsimon wrote:Hands free is only a bit safer than hands held devices. If one needs to carry on a conversation, why can't they pull over and do so from a stopped vehicle?

Fact is that mobile communications is a fact of life now, we've recognized both the risks and dangers abut also the need for communication accessibility - its just the way our society has evolved. So now we have to find a solution to balance the two - allowing our society's demand for instant and constant communication and the safest way to allow us to access it.

Yes, we have a solution, it's called a taxi, ride-share, or wait until self-driving cars are available
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Yep, it's so damn important to know what someone is doing every moment of every minute of every day. = just sheer addiction

Hard to believe, but not every phone call/text/email is of a personal nature. Many of us rely on instant communication to succeed in business - you miss a call, you loose a contract, you loose a contract you loose money, you loose money you loose your home and livelihood. Its just the way the world is these days - if you agree with it or not.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

neilsimon wrote:Yes, we have a solution, it's called a taxi, ride-share, or wait until self-driving cars are available

LOL OK - so one should just take a cab to an appointment with a prospective client or on a road trip visiting multiple clients :up:

But you are right - we do have a solution and its called hands free - and the systems are getting better and safer each year. Allowing less physical interaction with vehicles infotainment systems allowing the driver to keep their hands on the wheel, eyes on the road and more and more focus on driving. Some newer cars don't even have dials for the stereo no more, nor do you have to touch the screen, you just gesture your hand to use the system.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Yep, it's so damn important to know what someone is doing every moment of every minute of every day. = just sheer addiction

Dizzy1 wrote:Hard to believe, but not every phone call/text/email is of a personal nature. Many of us rely on instant communication to succeed in business - you miss a call, you loose a contract, you loose a contract you loose money, you loose money you loose your home and livelihood. Its just the way the world is these days - if you agree with it or not.

Well, I'm not losing sleep over sending my calls to voicemail while driving.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Well, I'm not losing sleep over sending my calls to voicemail while driving.

Well Gordon, unfortunately, in today's business world, some people will loose more than just sleep by letting a call just go to voicemail - thats just the nature of the beast in the 21st Century, if you agree with it or not.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Well, I'm not losing sleep over sending my calls to voicemail while driving.

Dizzy1 wrote:Well Gordon, unfortunately, in today's business world, some people will loose more than just sleep by letting a call just go to voicemail - thats just the nature of the beast in the 21st Century, if you agree with it or not.

I'm not suffering, I will conduct business my way.... you do it your way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

As far as self-driving cars goes, the technology is getting closer but there's the liability and regulation part of the equation. One of my cars has all these cool goodies such as adaptive cruise control, lane departure assist, etc. Its all fine and dandy until the snow starts flying, then the sensor freezes up and doesn't work, or when the road markings aren't readable by the sensors. Then we'll have a whole new schwack of crashes caused by people relying too much on technology.

UBS just released a study stating that they expect the majority of cargo flights (not drones) to be pilotless by 2025 yet we don't even have single pilot certified large aircraft on the horizon.

Like EVs, self-driving cars will come, but they're still a long way off before they take control over our roadways.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:I'm not suffering, I will conduct business my way.... you do it your way.

I do do it my way.

The demands I have to meet in my industry have changed drastically over the last 15 years. The competitiveness over the last year has increased three fold. Many of us have financial responsibilities to meet, many of us have financial and personal goals we'd like to achieve. This is the nature of the beast our society has evolved in to. Who ever thinks that being self employed is the ultimate in professional freedom is way off the reality of things.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Dizzy I can understand where you're coming from having been self employed but can't totally agree with loosing all your business if you don't answer your phone. Talk to your customers and explain to them that you value them but you also value your life and the lives of everyone around you on the road. Explain that you want to go home at night to friends and family. You will get a hold of them as soon as it is safe to do so and you will serve them in a timely manner. In my mind any customer that cannot deal with that is not worth having. I believe if explained properly your customers will respect you for what you are doing and not dump you.

You say cars are getting better but if you truly know the facts it is not just the cars. It is taking your attention off the road. If you are actually doing business I can almost guarantee you that you are distracted. It has been proven over and over that just the distraction of your mind can be as bad as taking your eyes off the road. I actually believe all vehicles should be equipped to block cell phone reception when in gear. Also prevent the vehicle from starting if that feature is not functioning. That would also level the playing field for you as everyone else would be in the same boat. People have to learn that they can survive without constant communication. It would save a lot of lives, tons of accidents and cut our vehicle insurance costs an amazing amount.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
JennParker

Post by JennParker »

I am pretty sure the commercial driver in his loaded gravel truck, cell phone stuck to his ear, who blew through the 4-way stop like it wasn't there yesterday... Would have lost a lot more than a few contacts and some business had he hit someone. There is no phone call in the world that is worth someone's life. Not. A. One. If you're yapping on a phone and hit my vehicle and injure one of my loves ones... Hell hath no fury as an angry mother and wife.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

You bring up an excellent point in that one bad accident could loose the driver all his customers and a lot more if he even lives. I know everyone believes it won't happen to them because they can handle it, but I''l bet that everyone who has been in an accident felt that way. "No one, period" is above an accident. You might not be the one that causes it, but you might be distracted just enough to be unable to avoid it. Which would do a person more harm, loosing a customer or two or killing someone and loosing their mobility in the process. Is it really worth the chance just because others are doing it???
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”