I love you Millenials!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
zzontar
Guru

Re: I love you Millenials!

Post by zzontar »

whatwhat wrote:
Even you admitted that people in older generations can't do everything on your list (which you conveniently ignored all my posts about, shocking). But for some reason you seem to think that millennials being unable to do basic "survival" skills is somehow worse then old people being unable to do the exact same skills. Unfortunately, I don't think it is worth much effort in trying to open your eyes as you clearly have an age bias. I hope one day, when you're old, and sick that the millennial nurse/doctor/fire person/police person/care aid etc will be "good enough" for you ;)

There are millenials who have survival skills and baby boomers who can program computers, doesn't mean they're equal at it. BTW, why not pipe up when it's mentioned how millenials are better at computers when some baby boomers are also good at it... isn't that age bias, or does that only work the other way around?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

zzontar wrote:There are millenials who have survival skills and baby boomers who can program computers, doesn't mean they're equal at it. BTW, why not pipe up when it's mentioned how millenials are better at computers when some baby boomers are also good at it... isn't that age bias, or does that only work the other way around?

Well no one is really "equal" because everyone has different skills, and have different levels of skills. That's kinda the point. Age doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but for some reason you seem to think that millennials are useless piles of dung based solely on the fact they were born in a certain year. There are old and young people who are good at certain things, and old and young people who suck at certain things.

The issue is, no matter what you seem to think millennials can not be better or equal than the older generations at basic skills, which is a total load of dung in itself. You are stereotyping an entire group of people based solely on their birth year.

And while I never piped up about the whole old vs young at computer stuff (mainly because It was a conversation between you and Omnitheo and I wasn't part of it), I didn't argue for it. Clearly, there are people of a wide variety of skills of a wide variety of ages (which has been my argument this whole time, and that even you admitted too). I believe Omniteo's point wasn't to say that only young people are good at computers, but arguing that newer, more "millennial" skills are also useful, not just the basic "survival" skill of changing oil.
hail Satan y'all
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

zzontar wrote:
There are millenials who have survival skills and baby boomers who can program computers, doesn't mean they're equal at it. BTW, why not pipe up when it's mentioned how millenials are better at computers when some baby boomers are also good at it... isn't that age bias, or does that only work the other way around?

I would really recommend watching the video that Omnitheo posted. It's 25 mins long and humorous and answers a lot of your misconceptions that you are posting about.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

Return to “Social Concerns”