Ashcroft (Elephant Hill)

Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Ashcroft (Elephant Hill)

Post by Drip_Torch »

Glacier wrote:It looks like the fire has started up again on the west side of Cache Creek where it hasn't been burning for over 10 days.

After keeping an eye on that for a couple of days, I would venture a guess that's work on contingency line in progress.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The fire is now 124,843 hectares.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

More evacuation orders.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204034

It is humbling to note that over 6400 people are STILL evacuated from their homes. Totally humbling.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:More evacuation orders.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204034

It is humbling to note that over 6400 people are STILL evacuated from their homes. Totally humbling.

It's a sort of 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Remember that it was only 2 days ago that this happened (ridiculous given the slow growth of that fire in my opinion)... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4242889
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So adding approxiately another 1,000 to the fray.

Oh God where is the rain we need?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:So adding approxiately another 1,000 to the fray.

Tonight at 11:34 pm.

P.S. They say it hasn't cross Deadman, BUT it has cross Vidette.
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hopefully its widespread down pour of rain, with no lightning.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sherriff

Post by sherriff »

GordonH wrote:

Hopefully its widespread down pour of rain, with no lightning.

It's at a company called Global Super Tanker in the form of a 747 that we don't seem to think we need. I do think it would be a great help though. Can make rain for 5 km. per drop.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Looks like the rain and snow on the fire stopped the growth. No new activity in 3 days, but they have re-mapped the fire to give us a new size: 163,221 hectares.

The cooler weather is going to allow all fires in BC to peter out to nothing with hardly any new growth every day. There's no above average temperatures in the forecast for the rest of the month.
- Douglas Murray
cooldude
Fledgling

Post by cooldude »

Glacier wrote:The cooler weather is going to allow all fires in BC to peter out to nothing with hardly any new growth every day. There's no above average temperatures in the forecast for the rest of the month.

On the contrary. None of these fire will "peter" out for months, UNLESS the following occurs. RH (Relative Humidity-Moisture in the combustible fuels). This is one of the main factors that has produced fire behaviour we have seen in recent weeks. Under 40%, fuels will be very combustible. Before the precipitation arrived on the weekend, RH's were in the teens during the day, and barely recovering overnight (over 40%). So simply put, we need a deluge of rain to raise the RH. As well as getting into the fall, cooler nights prevail.

Temperatures has only a little to do with fire behaviour. It does not have to be 35 degrees out to burn fuels completely, to have the fire behaviour we have seen. If the RH is below 40%, and the temps are low, fuels can still be volatile. There are a couple of other factors, but RH plays a significant role in fire behaviour. I have seen volatile fire behaviour right into November in some years. Why? The lack of moisture, cured fuels and low RH's.

The more precipitation we get, and hopefully cooler evenings are just about kick in, the RH's will rise. But in all honesty, mother nature will put out most of these fires by way of rain and/or snow.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Glacier wrote:Looks like the rain and snow on the fire stopped the growth. No new activity in 3 days, but they have re-mapped the fire to give us a new size: 163,221 hectares.

The cooler weather is going to allow all fires in BC to peter out to nothing with hardly any new growth every day. There's no above average temperatures in the forecast for the rest of the month.

So much for the rain and snow stopping the fire.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204332

"A fire that destroyed dozens of homes near Ashcroft six weeks ago has now consumed structures in the Green Lake area almost 100 kilometres away.

Thompson-Nicola Regional District spokeswoman Debbie Sell says crews have not been able to access the site to determine exactly what has been lost as the active blaze that is more than 1,600 square kilometres in size continues to pose a danger."
She says downed power lines have added to the danger in the area and officials have not been able to access the site to determine what has been lost.

Sell says affected property owners will be contacted as soon as specifics of damage are available.

The wildfire service reports at least 10 wildfires have broken out in the last 24 hours, including six believed to have been caused by humans.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

EVAC order for red lake lifted (east of Deadman)
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I drove through Elephant Hill today. There was hardly a sign of active fire anywhere. No smoke except the odd tree smoldering, mostly around Clinton.

The air was almost entirely clear of smoke.

The same cannot be said for Alexis Creek/Hanceville/Riske Creek. Those areas did not get any rain this week, and the fires are raging. One brand spanking new house in Riske Creek was standing a week ago when I drove west, but was gone yesterday, and the fire was several km from the highway last week! The smoke was gross and horrendous.

Anyway, here's a list of the largest fires in BC (according to the BC Wildfire website that has not merged the Baezaeko fire in with the Tautri Fire):

1) Hanceville Riske Creek = 2,150 sq. km.
2) Baezaeko River = 1,819 sq. km.
3) Elephant Hill = 1,681 sq. km.
4) Tautri Lake = 1,248 sq. km.
5) Chezacut = 235 sq. km.
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

well if elephant hill is down to dull roar thats good news . it should never have gotten as big as it did. the initial responce on that one seemed slow and confused
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.wltribune.com/news/heart-wre ... um=twitter

tribute to firfighters video is here . i know its williams lake paper but its worth watching

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”