150 asylum requests a day

Opeeved
Fledgling

Re: 150 asylum requests a day

Post by Opeeved »

the truth wrote:queen,--you know by now how i feel about people entering illegally in canada, or any other country you enter legally or not at all. drama much , they are not crossing over to canada from the usa due to fear of being killed by the usa govt
indefinite detainment... you do understand what indefinite detainment is, don't you? No rights, and deportation ranks up there.
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

Merry wrote:
Queen K wrote:I actually don't like it either.

But take a look at Haiti, that's where they will be deported to. It's as good as death and destruction for them.

They should have thought of that before they threw away their opportunity to obtain refugee status in the United States.

Don't know about you, is rather be a refugee in Canada than the US. You've been watching the last couple decades, haven't you? Specifically since trump made his political appearance.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

fvkasm2x wrote:http://globalnews.ca/news/3677129/asylum-seeker-numbers-quebec-canada/?utm_source=GlobalEdmonton&utm_medium=Facebook

Doesn't matter if you are for or against illegal immigration...

The bottom line is, we cannot facilitate these kinds of numbers. That's just staggering. The amount of social assistance and tax dollars going to this will be insane

3000 people in a month is just backbreaking if it continues
hmm, 2nd largest country, underpopulated, arguably resource richest nation in the world, and we can't afford to take in some refugees that, aside from vetted undesirables, could be taken from the some 200,000 plus immigrants taken in every year? That seems elitist and simply first world privilege. Most of the world's population lives on a day what we spend on timmies and Starbucks daily (and people gripe about the cost of Starbucks because they can't have 2)
We have everything but we won't spend an extra $20/year for others without a country, home or hope. You get the position I'm getting at, right?

Sheesh, I learned in day care to share my toys.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

fvkasm2x wrote: The bottom line is, we cannot facilitate these kinds of numbers. That's just staggering. The amount of social assistance and tax dollars going to this will be insane

A link to an article posted by Sparki55 on another thread was deleted for some reason (maybe Sparki would be so kind as to post it again). The article suggests somewhere between 50 and 90 % of these refugees will have to transition to provincial welfare. One of the reasons will be that having to learn a new language is not so easy, and English is one of the most difficult languages to learn (just look at the trouble some of the posters here have with it). As noted in the article though, we still need to make the distinction between being on welfare for the rest of their lives, and being on welfare for a transitional period and what we, as a society, are willing to invest to move them along as quickly as possible. Five years is no doubt a long-term period, but these people came from countries without any social safety nets and sitting on their duff while collecting welfare is not part of their psyche. The vast majority still go on to become tax-paying, contributing citizens, grateful and loyal to their new country.

This isn’t something new. As also noted we have been doing this for decades. In this situation, we had great numbers in a short period of time (they were desperate and escaping a horrific situation), and it was/is a high profile matter that some want to use for political gain – from both ends of the political spectrum. As also noted in the article you linked, even if every Syrian refugee ended up on welfare (which they won’t), that would increase the overall caseload by 2.85. Not a completely insignificant number to be sure, but hardly enough to overwhelm the system. Sadly, despite the facts, some people would still love to use these people as scapegoats. This is an investment. The same type of investment we should be (and to some extent, are) making with all disadvantaged and disenfranchised people in Canada. Blaming people solves nothing. Helping people does.

Some fun facts:

Most resettled refugees arrive in Canada with a significant debt burden, since they are expected to repay the Canadian government for their transportation to Canada as well as the cost of their medical examination undertaken as part of their processing to come to Canada. Refugee families therefore often begin life in Canada with a debt running to thousands of dollars. Interest is charged on this loan at a rate set by the Department of Finance each year.

http://ccrweb.ca/en/pensioners-myth

Refugees pay more income tax than millionaire investor immigrants

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/refugee ... -1.2984982

humanitarian investment yields economic benefits

http://www.opennetwork.net/wp-content/u ... rk_V13.pdf
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Opeeved wrote: That seems elitist and simply first world privilege.

We are rich as a country and privileged for that very reason. Because we don't accept tens of thousands of poor refugees that rely on government money, allows us to be a wealthy and prosperous country.

Forgive me, I am selfish. I want our country and it's citizens to thrive going forward. I don't feel that accepting tens of thousands of poor people every year accomplishes that.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

fvkasm2x wrote:
Opeeved wrote: That seems elitist and simply first world privilege.

We are rich as a country and privileged for that very reason. Because we don't accept tens of thousands of poor refugees that rely on government money, allows us to be a wealthy and prosperous country.

Forgive me, I am selfish. I want our country and it's citizens to thrive going forward. I don't feel that accepting tens of thousands of poor people every year accomplishes that.
we have what we have because the original settlers didn't want to deal with minus 40 haha. Seriously though, why does the US have ten times our population? Why is the okanagan so desirable?

But aside from that, im selfish too...ask my former gfs ;)
But I can't stand the notion of borders as a reason to "protect" what I have. We are a nation of immigrants, and like i said, we take in hundreds of thousands every year. Immigration policy dictates enough money in bank, sponsor, etc. They can afford to wait another year. I'm not saying free for all, but contextually what is right. Things can be tweaked for sure. I just don't know who else is going to do the dirty work that our first world privileged won't.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Ka-El wrote: Five years is no doubt a long-term period, but these people came from countries without any social safety nets and sitting on their duff while collecting welfare is not part of their psyche.

And yet they seem to be having no problem at all doing just this in Europe and Scandinavia. It's completely naïve to think that this wouldn't happen here as well, unless there was some sort of "cut-off" point in this process. BTW - when my family came to Canada they didn't get any welfare, whatsoever. And they couldn't speak a word of English.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

same here, so why give these people everything ,,,,,,,for free
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 18th, 2017, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

It's important to make a distinction between illegal economic migrants and genuine refugees. The former are using up resources intended for the latter, and that should be of concern to us all.

Genuine refugees are being left to languish in camps around the world, while wealthy illegals are allowed to queue jump. It's obvious that many of the illegal migrants are not poor by considering their attire when they arrive at our border, and knowing how much they paid the human smugglers to get them here. Besides which, genuine refugees are less likely to "country shop" than real ones are. When your fleeing death and persecution, places like the United States look pretty darned good, and not a place to flee.

There is absolutely NO evidence that genuine refugees are being kicked out of the States. Absolutely none. So one has to wonder about folks fleeing because they fear such an event. Could it be because they know full well that they are not genuine refugees but merely queue jumpers?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

um merry unless you have no tv or computer or radio then your post is ugly and wrong .
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

maryjane48 wrote:um merry unless you have no tv or computer or radio then your post is ugly and wrong .

Funny. I have a tv, computer, radio , smart phone and everything else you can think of... and I agree with her.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Actually as I pointed out before, they do not loose their protection from being returned home from the US until January. That means they are not refugees and are not fleeing from anything. They have been given time to apply properly and be accepted into the US. We shut down our special protection about a year ago and made the Trudeau government made the decision it is safe to return them to Haiti. They are actually making a mistake coming to Canada because we can and do return them. Their sources are not feeding them the proper information. I would like to see them all given proper applications for getting into Canada and then returned home until they are properly processed along with all the other people going the proper route. There is no way they should be allowed to jump the queue past people who have followed proper legal channels.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly, nothing more ,nothing less
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

Opeeved wrote:But I can't stand the notion of borders as a reason to "protect" what I have. We are a nation of immigrants, and like i said, we take in hundreds of thousands every year. Immigration policy dictates enough money in bank, sponsor, etc. They can afford to wait another year. I'm not saying free for all, but contextually what is right. Things can be tweaked for sure. I just don't know who else is going to do the dirty work that our first world privileged won't.

You can't understand the notion of protecting borders? I can't understand anyone who thinks Canada's border shouldn't be enforced. I am so sick of seeing this 'we are a nation of immigrants' crap, like that gives an excuse for people to just wander on in to Canada like they own the place. Sounds like you subscribe to the 'we won the birthplace lottery' motto as well. Do you honestly think working Canadians are able to pay the costs to help every other country that has issues?

Okay, say we welcome the world to come to Canada, and next year we get 20 million people walking through the border, say 2 million can work, where are they going to work? There's no jobs. Where are they going to live? We have a housing shortage. How about medical? We have a health care crisis where people are waiting up to 10 years for tests. Are we giving the 20 million vaccines so they don't pass whatever diseases from their countries to Canadians that have never been exposed? Now who is paying for the 18 million to collect welfare, child tax, health care, school costs, etc.? Do we jack taxes up so each working Canadian is bringing home 100$ cheques? Who pays for all of this?????????????????????????? Oh sure, we won't notice it much in the beginning, but when crap hits the fan and people are flocking here what will you do then?

The only answer is raising taxes, there is no other form of money to pay for this or are you aware of a money tree that the rest of us don't know about? So how much of your 'first world privilege' are you willing to give up so the rest of the world can live comfortably? Is 80% tax rate okay? After all you are helping the world so you should feel proud to take that pay cut, feed the masses, while your own family eats crap. No doubt you'll have no issue sharing your home with the masses so they can live comfortably too? And you don't mind your children waiting 20 years for that medical test instead of 10 years, right? Should we wait until we are all lining up at town center to get our bread and water ration before we address this? Oh right that's ridiculous, right? Or is it? You tell me how Canada will pay for 20 million migrants to make Canada their home.

That's a nice fairy tale that we should help everyone, but the reality is that if you open that door then ALL Canadians will be in the EXACT same situation as the people who originally wanted to come to Canada. Would you like to see Canada become a third-world country? Take a look at the countries that have been receiving world-wide aid for decades and decades, they are STILL in the same position after we have given them BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars.

This doesn't even touch on the fact if the 20 million that cross over have an entirely different view on human rights.

So many people start throwing around the racist/bigot card when someone objects to mass migration, has absolutely NOTHING to do with racism, it's called REALITY. There is costs involved, major costs. Who is paying for this? The liberals run around tooting their own horn that they are so kind/thoughtful/etc. because they will 'save the world' and then call down conservatives labeling them as racists, lol, how do you save the world without money? Where's the money coming from??????? Bring you head up out of the sand for a moment and tell us where the money is coming from? Nope, no plan, no money, just bring them all in and we'll figure it out later, that doesn't work and you wonder why conservatives think you're insane???

Return to “Canada”