Ignorant People Busted Leaving Closed Park

mee-mo87
Board Meister

Ignorant People Busted Leaving Closed Park

Post by mee-mo87 »

After 2 consecutive days of fires being started in Glen Canyon/Powers Creek, as a resident of Glenrosa, it makes me livid that people are going into these closed parks.
On our way home from errands in Westbank, we witnessed 2 individuals and their dog walk out of the closed park, having to lift up the caution tape to get by. When confronted, they laughed at us like we were the idiots... Well, enjoy your visit from the RCMP.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2vz9l18flf50 ... 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w887iz1i4wqwc ... 0.jpg?dl=0

UPDATE: RCMP called back. They spoke to one of the individuals and he told the Cst. that he "adopted the park with his daughter and it's part of a legacy, so they go in and clean up graffiti and move along the homeless..."
The Cst. went on to say they COMMENDED them for moving the homeless, but she did explain to them that it's closed and it looks like the were using the park for pleasure use...
What?!?!
:cuss: ... there is no need for citizens to be going in there.
THE PARK IS CLOSED TO EVERYONE! EXTREME FIRE DANGER! The only people who should be in there are the RCMP or the district.

So I guess if you want to go in the parks, just tell people you're "moving the homeless out" and the RCMP will commend you on doing their job.
Last edited by ferri on Aug 19th, 2017, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: word censor workaround
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Ignorant People Busted Leaving Closed Park

Post by ferri »

Let's try this again, but this time stay on topic. What is the topic you ask? Hint: Ignorant People Busted Leaving Closed Park
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Aug 19th, 2017, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Bottom line is, regardless of how careful you are it still sets a bad example for those who are not. Be patient, respect the park restriction and in a few months when it's cool and wet again you can go use the park.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Meh. I don't see great danger in people visiting the park provided they don't smoke and start fires. Or have fire-pooping dogs.[
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Aug 19th, 2017, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Even Steven wrote:Meh. I don't see great danger in people visiting the park provided they don't smoke and start fires. Or have fire-pooping dogs.[

And that's the problem. There's always going to be that one dummy who smokes in the park. And that's why it's important that everyone respects the ban.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Frisk wrote:Bottom line is, regardless of how careful you are it still sets a bad example for those who are not. Be patient, respect the park restriction and in a few months when it's cool and wet again you can go use the park.

Last edited by johnny24 on Aug 26th, 2017, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Little to no enforcement means selfish people just do what they want and will continue to do so. It doesn't matter whether they are smokers or not they are ignoring a ban that is widely publicised and applies to everyone, there are no "special people" exceptions.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Aug 20th, 2017, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

dodgerdodge wrote:Little to no enforcement means selfish people just do what they want and will continue to do so. It doesn't matter whether they are smokers or not they are ignoring a ban that is widely publicised and applies to everyone, there are no "special people" exceptions.

Sure there are. If you see a fire official or RCMP walking out of the park, you wouldn't bat an eye. :)

I do think that closing parks due to fire potential is absurd. We don't close lakes due to drowning potential. What we need is enforcement of the rules in place: No smoking in parks. If you're caught smoking or lighting a fire of any sort, you should have the book thrown at you. I guess the second part to that issue is that "the book" in Canada is a soft covered 1 page duo-tang.

As for posting images of the people and their car... I fail to understand why the license plate is hidden, but their faces are not. I don't think it's appropriate to be taking pictures of peoples faces then uploading them to public forums. As you did, I'm sure the police would be interested in them, but nobody else.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

youjustcomplain wrote:
dodgerdodge wrote:Little to no enforcement means selfish people just do what they want and will continue to do so. It doesn't matter whether they are smokers or not they are ignoring a ban that is widely publicised and applies to everyone, there are no "special people" exceptions.

Sure there are. If you see a fire official or RCMP walking out of the park, you wouldn't bat an eye. :)

I do think that closing parks due to fire potential is absurd. We don't close lakes due to drowning potential. What we need is enforcement of the rules in place: No smoking in parks. If you're caught smoking or lighting a fire of any sort, you should have the book thrown at you. I guess the second part to that issue is that "the book" in Canada is a soft covered 1 page duo-tang.

As for posting images of the people and their car... I fail to understand why the license plate is hidden, but their faces are not. I don't think it's appropriate to be taking pictures of peoples faces then uploading them to public forums. As you did, I'm sure the police would be interested in them, but nobody else.

It's also absurd to say there are "no exceptions". There's exceptions to every rule and law. Not everyone is punished to the full extent of the law, and nor should they be. Even murderers don't all get the same sentence. Good to see the policeman used common sense in this case.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

talk about over reaction

I don't carry anything flammable or anything that makes a spark. i'll go wherever the hell I want. I haven 't started fire yet
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

gman313 wrote:talk about over reaction

I don't carry anything flammable or anything that makes a spark. i'll go wherever the hell I want. I haven 't started fire yet

When there's a ban in place, it's easier to catch those that are the problem. And no, you can't go wherever the hell you want as much as you bluster about it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

gman313 wrote:talk about over reaction

I rest my case

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”