Understanding Sources

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Re: Understanding Sources

Post by Opeeved »

Wiki is more insightful and accurate than most posters here. It's a legitimate source for us mouth breathers. One just has to corroborate and note, citation needed
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
f/22
Board Meister

Re: Understanding Sources

Post by f/22 »

TylerM4 wrote:I'm really concerned with the state of society in today's digital age.

Specifically - there are a LOT of people out there that don't question or consider the source of their information. Many people seem to automatically trust information they stumble across on Facebook or scientific information from news sites for example. The idea of "Unbiased, professionally gathered, peer-reviewed information from a reputable source" is completely foreign to many people.

The downstream impact being poor choices/decisions, incorrectly influencing others or their children, etc.

Anyone have ideas for how we as a society can help avoid this? Back in my schooling days - information source vetting wasn't really taught until you reached the college/university level. Perhaps something that now needs to be taught at the highschool level if it isn't already?

“. . . incorrectly influencing others . . ..”

Campaign against the 'kid stuff' on ''adult' social media: avatars, rank merits, number of posts, the likes and liked-ins, smilies as well as the signatures. Yes I agree with the need for anonymity, but bad enough that handles like ‘f/22’ may be meant to project some kind of legitimate authority.

But then, way back, I recall Jo saying that the number one reason people used social media was simply for entertainment, so take it or leave it.

Return to “Social Concerns”