Taxi's, Cab's Penticton

theseeker
Fledgling

Taxi's, Cab's Penticton

Post by theseeker »

Well it's me again, this time it's about our "Taxi, Cab Service" here in Penticton. I take a cab occasionally, when I'm out and have had a few drinks, trying to be responsible and all. Well you know when you order the cab you tell them it's debit because some cabs only take cash, go figure no debit cards or visa or master card, well about a week ago after a few beer's and some wine and no cash left, I order the cab and I get in the back seat we leave and about $5.00 on the meter I see this printed sign taped to the glove box [compartment] saying cash only, I say whoa I have no cash just debit, he say's cash and keeps driving, I say pull over and stop and ask him to call a cab that takes debit as that's what I called for, I'm sorry but I had a hard time understanding this young man's English and I think the dispatcher had a problem, I got out and refused to pay the $5.00 and had to phone to reorder the cab, which I say got there quickly. Has anyone else had a problem like I had, if this keeps up we'll need a designated driver or a different system.
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Taxi's, Cab's Penticton

Post by southy »

How do you spell UBER? Perhaps the time is right.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So the place you were drinking at can't give you cash for your debit?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

And why exactly should this individual jump through hoops, ie: remembering to ask bar for cash on his debit so he can catch a cab home. This is 2017 and the technology is available. Which would then point back to the cab company simply not wanting to install said technology in their cabs due to cost. This clearly is the cab's problem not the individual calling the cab. Like I said UBER makes sense - then you can watch said cab companies go crying to city hall.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

southy wrote:And why exactly should this individual jump through hoops, ie: remembering to ask bar for cash on his debit so he can catch a cab home.

Well he can remember to ask the Cab Co to send a Cab with debit capabilities but can't remember to ask for cash at the Bar.

Cabbies are not too bright so it is better to be prepared than to rely on them to get it right.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

In today's day & age to have taxi's anywhere in north America unable to take debit or CC is rather wild. Taxi companies time to update to 21st century.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I wonder what the reasoning behind "cash only" is? Debit and charge cards would appeal to a wider customer base, reduce the risk of carrying cash in the vehicle, and streamline bookkeeping. Wait a minute...bookkeeping. Hmmm.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Bsuds wrote:So the place you were drinking at can't give you cash for your debit?

Dumb question. The taxi should have debit available.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Bsuds wrote:Well he can remember to ask the Cab Co to send a Cab with debit capabilities but can't remember to ask for cash at the Bar.

Cabbies are not too bright so it is better to be prepared than to rely on them to get it right.

Now you're being elitist. Most of the "cabbies" that work the night shift in Penticton also work full time, skilled day jobs. They do these taxi jobs as one more way to earn money. They work harder than you ever did.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

fluffy wrote:I wonder what the reasoning behind "cash only" is? Debit and charge cards would appeal to a wider customer base, reduce the risk of carrying cash in the vehicle, and streamline bookkeeping. Wait a minute...bookkeeping. Hmmm.

I can't speak for that situation, but they did have an issue with the debit machines a week or two ago. Blame the bank!

But if it was something a specific driver was doing, to only take cash, get the car number and report him.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

If it was a temporary technical problem then that would leave be an acceptable explanation.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

onestop67 wrote: They work harder than you ever did.

You have no idea.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I know they are busy this week. Seem to be going non stop.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

onestop67 wrote: [

But if it was something a specific driver was doing, to only take cash, get the car number and report him.

There are many businesses that do not accept credit or debit cards. Typically they are not small purchase retail/service businesses like a cab service however. There is really only one reason for a business such as a cab company to not accept electronic payment. Tax evasion.
I shared a cab ride home from a xmas party a cpl of years ago with an engineer of a certain ethnicity that was rather pale skinned. Upon exiting and paying the fair, the cab driver picked up the radio mike and talked to dispatch in his mother tongue. My guest then had an exchange with the cabbie in mother tongue much to the cabbie's surprise. I asked my guest what was going on. Long story short....he gave the cabbie crap for being a tax cheat and perpetuating the ethnic group's poor reputation. The cabbie had told dispatch that we paid cash for the fare, didn't ask for a reciept, and to erase the ride from the log.
We then asked for a receipt.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

So maybe just maybe the Green Parties push for allowing UBER in is a good thing. Will be interesting to see how this plays out with the NDP ,,, could be the end of the lovefest.

Return to “South Okanagan”