Cloud Storage options?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Cloud Storage options?

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Hi:
Went searching thru this forum for some info on Cloud storage options.
Only thing that actually touched on it was a PC repair discussion, but no details on what I am looking for.
What I am looking for is an off-site storage that I can back up to on a regular basis.

This is something I have been trying to figure out for awhile now, but with recent fire events I guess it is past time.
Most would probably agree that I should have done this a long time ago.
But we all know how life gets in the way of doing important stuff.

I would prefer a Canadian company with servers on Canadian soil.
Don't like the idea of a US server and being open to the NSA.
Yes - I do know about the 5 eyes agreement.
I don't have anything to hide, but would prefer if my money would stay for the most part, in Canada.

Does anyone have experience with:
https://www.sync.com/
or with
https://www.cacloud.com/

Or in your experience is there a better option?

I have used Dropbox, but it is a bit clunky IMO for just backing up files and my QNAP NAS.
Need at least 1.5 TB at this point as I have a huge number of images (I shoot in RAW).
Also I have a large number of images to scan from photos, this coming winter, so will need more space as the weather gets cold and snowy.
(Isn't that a depressing thought :-X )
And add all the other files and directories and 3 PC's and mobile devices.

Also what do you use for backup software - EG FTP software?

Thank you
NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Cloud Storage options?

Post by maryjane48 »

im interested to . for now is use google drive .
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

My two favourites for storage - Google Drive and OneDrive.

For Google drive - You can buy more storage. 2TB is $28/month. From there, you can use Google Photos to manage your uploaded photos - tagging, albums, sharing, etc. I don't pay for additional storage (see below), but I do sync my phone photos into Google Photos/GDrive.

I don't use GDrive for much storage these days as I have an Office365 subscription. $99 for the year. I and four family members get to have the most current version of Office installed on our computers (Mac and Windows). Each family member gets 5TB of storage on Onedrive. There's a native OneDrive app for both Windows and Mac, as well as a web interface. There's mobile apps (IOS and Android) as well.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

36Drew wrote:My two favourites for storage - Google Drive and OneDrive.

Hi Drew:
Both good options, but based in the US and subject to the US patriot act for snooping by the NSA.
If in the long run those are the best deal, I will go there, but would like a Canadian company.
Thanks
NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

36Drew wrote:My two favourites for storage - Google Drive and OneDrive.

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Hi Drew:
Both good options, but based in the US and subject to the US patriot act for snooping by the NSA.
If in the long run those are the best deal, I will go there, but would like a Canadian company.
Thanks
NNA

If you think US is not snooping around wherever they can or want to snoop. Sorry you maybe a little nieve.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

http://cloudpockets.com/
or
https://www.sync.com/a

Sync is a little more "top tier" in reliability, but honestly I have never seen either go down in my experience. I prefer sync's software for simplicity, but cloud pockets is quick and semi-local.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

GordonH wrote:If you think US is not snooping around wherever they can or want to snoop. Sorry you maybe a little nieve.

I know the US is snooping, but would still prefer if possible to keep as much of my money in Canada.
Way too much of our cash goes to the US, so whenever possible I will try to support a Canadian business.

Remember the old saying - Charity begins at home...
IMO that is what I am trying to do.
Quixote
Fledgling

Post by Quixote »

Loed wrote:http://cloudpockets.com/
or
https://www.sync.com/a

Sync is a little more "top tier" in reliability, but honestly I have never seen either go down in my experience. I prefer sync's software for simplicity, but cloud pockets is quick and semi-local.

Wow, cloudpockets looks sketchy - the contact us page has a Port Moody condo address (although the Whois data shows the domain is registered to a condo in Coquitlam), there's no automated signup, no terms of service on the site, and they charge $252 PER MONTH for 1TB of storage. Sync.com is in a a whole other league here and is definitely a far more transparent, secure, and inexpensive service.

I've been using Sync.com for some time, their focus on privacy is what got me interested in the service, and it's been rock-solid since I started using it, highly recommended.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

I have been doing research on this and not really impressed with what I have found so far.
Everyone I contacted wants monthly fees - which is understandable.
But the level of those fees is in some cases making me choke.
They all want to treat each PC as a separate chargeable item

Sync.com won't back up my NAS and offered no alternative.

eazybackup.ca is out of Saskatoon and offers a bit better deal.
3 "workstations" with 1TB each total $56.44 /month with tax
additional 1TB $8.95 each workstation.
1st backup done to a portable drive that they send to you and you send back.
Saves bandwidth. - Not a bad idea - IMO

A single workstation starts at $11.95 /month.
for a single PC for the average person, probably a really decent option.

Cloud pockets said:
A 1Tb plan would be $255.99 and a 2Tb plan would be $405.99.
All our plans are monthly pricing

Just to check things out.
A 6TB WD USB drive is $249 from Best buy.
A safety deposit box at the bank that is deep enough to hold the drive and other papers is $75 per year, and tax deductible.
So this is an option, since a major backup even for me really only needs to be done every month or every couple of weeks.
Access to the box is free once you rent it.
Gets me out of the house, and meet new people as no one really goes to the banks for anything much anymore.

But still looking for the final option on this.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Have you thought about finding a piece of software that can just sync to S3, and use the AWS Canada-Central region?

You seem so intent on using a Canadian provider that you're seriously considering some really sketchy options. If you don't want to use GDrive/iCloud/Onedrive - then you might as well roll your own solution.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

OK Drew - You got me.

What is S3 and AWS Canada central Region

And is there a problem with supporting a Canadian business
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:OK Drew - You got me.

What is S3 and AWS Canada central Region

AWS is Amazon web services, S3 is their storage service, and Canada-Central region is their datacenter in *drum roll* Canada.

And is there a problem with supporting a Canadian business

Sure - if said Canadian businesses could produce something of the quality and reliability that you want. I want to buy a Canadian-designed-and-built EV car that can compete with, say, the Nissan Leaf. We don't have one, yet.

We also don't have a "cloud" backup/storage provider that operates on the same scale as the three I keep mentioning.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

If not familiar with S3/AWS, what are chances of just Amazon Drive?
https://www.amazon.ca/clouddrive

I know, I know, the whole "on Canadian soil" thing, I can respect that but $60 / year is enticing for unlimited.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

I have opted for the simplest and lowest cost option.
Rather than pay large amounts of money out to various companies, for multiple years..
I brought in a tech and looked over the systems I have in place.

The plan is to go with external USB drives for backup, stored offsite in a safety deposit box.
There will be 2 6Tb drives 1 stored in the box - 1 active and online.
Will probably be a 2 or 4 week rotation depending on how much I am storing or processing.
This can be variable depending on my processing needs....

No need to have high speed connections - scheduling space and monthly fees that will go up over time!
Everyone should have a safety deposit box, for really important stuff anyway.
And it is tax deductible. :up:

As a side benefit I have a reason to schedule a trip downtown and will meet new people.
Always a good thing. :130: to get exercise and keep social....

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”