SLOW - baby deer

Home of the traffic rant.
lightspeed
Guru

Re: SLOW - baby deer

Post by lightspeed »

gman313 wrote:50km/hr is the limit. Teach your kids to watch out

If you drive at 50kmh on Bear Creek Rd (the steep part, with houses each side) with a subdivision, driveways, corners, kids playing, hedges and blind spots, pets and wildlife - you're a self confessed idiot.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Sadly, most people in Kelowna are @$$hats from Alberta who could care less. Deer get hit on Swamp Rd. all the time and people are too stupid or careless to realize that it takes a split second for them to pop out from the bushes along the side of the road. Of course, you never see a police car along Swamp Rd. doing a little speed enforcement. It's like a racetrack. I swear I've been passed by people doing 140 kph.
jsytnick
Board Meister

Post by jsytnick »

The flip side are the morons that stop dead in front of my house on Bear Creek Rd, just above where the sign is posted, to take pics of the deer hanging out in my yard or the neighbours. I watched just the other day while a woman stopped for about 2 minutes before she almost got rear ended as it's in a curve and line of sight is not good. So, go slow, but don't stop on curvy roads to take pics. Then there's the people blowing the stop sign at the hairpin, but that's another issue.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

youjustcomplain wrote:
kelowna_proud wrote:So what is the speed limit the resident is asking I go? I have gone down residential streets going 40-50 km/h and people scream there freakin heads off at me to slow down?

WHAT IS THE REQUIRED SPEED TO WATCH OUT FOR BABY DEER???

If you drove 50km/h down my road, I'd throw a rock at your car.

so you feel someone driving the posted speed limit gives you the right to throw a rock at their car? what the hell is wrong with you
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Post by BigBearBruno »

Speeding is against the law. Period. End of. People who feel they are above the law and can speed should re-evaluate their brain and see about getting a new one. Speeders = high school drops outs.
Just called me Triple B.
Bigger, Badder, Better than you!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

50 k is the speed limit period people who feel throwing rocks at cars and those who support that sort of action are the idiots that need their brain re evaluated, grow up
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Post by BigBearBruno »

LTD wrote:50 k is the speed limit period people who feel throwing rocks at cars and those who support that sort of action are the idiots that need their brain re evaluated, grow up

That too, unless they're responsible for a hit and run or something, violence isn't the answer. See someone speeding, try to report them. Speeders are absolute deadbeats!
Just called me Triple B.
Bigger, Badder, Better than you!
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

BigBearBruno wrote:
LTD wrote:50 k is the speed limit period people who feel throwing rocks at cars and those who support that sort of action are the idiots that need their brain re evaluated, grow up

That too, unless they're responsible for a hit and run or something, violence isn't the answer. See someone speeding, try to report them. Speeders are absolute deadbeats!

Reporting anything in Kelowna is a joke. Phone calls are not returned, letters are not responded to because there is no consequences.
The only thing that gets a response is if the situation is splashed all over the media.
I live on a busy road where the speed limit is 50 km/hr but the average speed is 70 km/hr. While traveling along my road I have found that there are many who travel at 80 km/hr or faster.
In a few weeks time there will be little kids riding their bikes or scooters to school and the very narrow shoulder along this road gives me great concern. If this was in the Mission it would have been taken care of but for some reason this road is ignored. Many of these speeding drivers are driving full sized pickup trucks and pulling trailers are blasting through the neighbourhood at incredible speeds. I get it that some residents would want to throw rocks at speeders.
Where are the cops in this city? Apparently the town councillors don't want too many cops, it could be bad for tourism to have vacationers pulled over with their fancy rides, bad for business to have too many tradesmen and salemen pulled over attempting to get to the next job, to hell with the residents, they are stuck!
Just remember this next election.
Waste not
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

One still needs to drive considering conditions. 50 may be the maximum but doesn't mean it's always appropriate.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

-Slowing below speed limit is fine when safe to do so but if there's people behind you, you risk inviting other drivers to make riskier moves.
-I have baby deer around the house and when motivated they can hustle. The difference between not seeing a deer and hitting one can be as little as a couple of feet and hardly time to think so when the safety of the more predictable human is priority one, unfortunately deer do get hit.
- In emergency braking it's by far more effective in a straight line as long as you can hold it, swerving during this could result in loss of control also you risk cutting off someone possibly passing you like a motorcycle (you know how fast they go). Remember it's a split second so if your instinct is to swerve, one day the road won't be ideal(wet,ice,snow) to handle it.

Don't throw rocks you are inviting trouble.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think the point has gotten lost:
Please respect our neighbourhood and slow down - families, children, pets and wildlife all live here
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Grandan wrote:Reporting anything in Kelowna is a joke. Phone calls are not returned, letters are not responded to because there is no consequences.
The only thing that gets a response is if the situation is splashed all over the media.
I live on a busy road where the speed limit is 50 km/hr but the average speed is 70 km/hr. While traveling along my road I have found that there are many who travel at 80 km/hr or faster.
In a few weeks time there will be little kids riding their bikes or scooters to school and the very narrow shoulder along this road gives me great concern. If this was in the Mission it would have been taken care of but for some reason this road is ignored. Many of these speeding drivers are driving full sized pickup trucks and pulling trailers are blasting through the neighbourhood at incredible speeds. I get it that some residents would want to throw rocks at speeders.
Where are the cops in this city? Apparently the town councillors don't want too many cops, it could be bad for tourism to have vacationers pulled over with their fancy rides, bad for business to have too many tradesmen and salemen pulled over attempting to get to the next job, to hell with the residents, they are stuck!
Just remember this next election.

Residents are the last thing anyone in Kelowna cares about.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Grandan wrote: If this was in the Mission it would have been taken care of but for some reason this road is ignored. Many of these speeding drivers are driving full sized pickup trucks and pulling trailers are blasting through the neighbourhood at incredible speeds.

That is just BS!

I live in the Mission area and near an Elementary School. I see drivers just like you describe here too and nothing gets done about it here either.

There should be speed bumps installed by every school and side streets where drivers go too fast.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Speed bumps and lower speeds have been installed in some areas. If residents complain loud and long enough, something will get done but it does take time. Ontario is/has lowered speed limits to 40 in a lot of areas and BC is looking to do the same.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Fancy wrote: Ontario is/has lowered speed limits to 40 in a lot of areas and BC is looking to do the same.

I don't see how that will make speeders slow down. They will speed anyway and just be 10k more over the limit.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”