SLOW - baby deer

Home of the traffic rant.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: SLOW - baby deer

Post by Fancy »

I've seen police in areas with new signs and temporary speed bumps work at getting drivers to adjust their attitude. Again it takes time and residents need to be very vocal.
From City of West Kelowna:

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/Doc ... /View/8306
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Fancy wrote:Always err on the side of caution. 50 is sometimes too fast for many residential areas and the speed has been/is being changed to lower speeds. 30 and 40 is not uncommon and just because there is a maximum doesn't negate the driver's responsibility to drive according to situations.

You got it !
My road has cars lining it on both sides and that leaves enough space for a pickup to drive up the middle. 30 km/h is likely the high end of the safe speed, IF the driver is paying close attention to the number of blind spots created by all of the cars. The odd person will roar up the street going 50 or more, and I've often wondered if they even understand the risks they impose on all of the small children who play all over that neighborhood. (If they even care about anyone but themselves)
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

jimmy4321 wrote:-Slowing below speed limit is fine when safe to do so but if there's people behind you, you risk inviting other drivers to make riskier moves.
-I have baby deer around the house and when motivated they can hustle. The difference between not seeing a deer and hitting one can be as little as a couple of feet and hardly time to think so when the safety of the more predictable human is priority one, unfortunately deer do get hit.
- In emergency braking it's by far more effective in a straight line as long as you can hold it, swerving during this could result in loss of control also you risk cutting off someone possibly passing you like a motorcycle (you know how fast they go). Remember it's a split second so if your instinct is to swerve, one day the road won't be ideal(wet,ice,snow) to handle it.

Don't throw rocks you are inviting trouble.

Substitute children for baby deer. Doesn't sound quite so good after that.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:
Substitute children for baby deer. Doesn't sound quite so good after that.

What you getting at?, deer come out of nowhere. Did I say to speed ?
Did I green light running over deer? Remember a deer is a deer , don't endanger people trying to avoid a deer.
Not sure how complicated that is.

and don't throw rocks
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

If you always scan your surroundings for hazards - parked cars, blind spots, the carted masses, children, baby deer, squirrels, faries, unicorns and rainbow crosswalks - and adjust your speed accordingly - you'll be ok.

And the world will be a safer happier place.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Grandan wrote: If this was in the Mission it would have been taken care of but for some reason this road is ignored. Many of these speeding drivers are driving full sized pickup trucks and pulling trailers are blasting through the neighbourhood at incredible speeds.

Bsuds wrote:
That is just BS!

I live in the Mission area and near an Elementary School. I see drivers just like you describe here too and nothing gets done about it here either.

There should be speed bumps installed by every school and side streets where drivers go too fast.

You got sidewalks out there? We don't.
Waste not
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

BigBearBruno wrote: Speeders = high school drops outs.

Whew, glad I quit of my own accord to seek my fame and fortune !
Never quite made it to the big time in NASCAR, NHRA, AMA and other
sanctioned series though, Sponsors and $$$$$$ not to easy to come by.

This eve I slowed (near stopped) for one good sized Buck, 2 younger Bucks, a big Doe and 3 yearlings just
out of their spots.

Sure brings a grin to the face.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

BigBearBruno wrote:Speeding is against the law. Period. End of. People who feel they are above the law and can speed should re-evaluate their brain and see about getting a new one. Speeders = high school drops outs.

So what year did you drop out?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

skydawg wrote:So what year did you drop out?

I didn't drop out, we failed to come to terms of an agreement over wages
for work required.
The Hot Rod/Customs/Race Shop had a substantially better pay and benefits package.

1980 is when negotiations took place and decisions were made.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”